Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mario All-Stars for Wii.

Options
  • 02-09-2010 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭

Talk about milking it...

http://kotaku.com/5628335/wii-getting-super-mario-all+stars
    According to a report from a Japanese retail event, Nintendo is planning on bringing Super Mario All-Stars to the Nintendo Wii.

On sale October 21 for ¥2,500 (US$30), the compilation will mark the 25th anniversary of Super Mario Bros. The game first went on sale in Japan in September 1985. It went on sale the following month in North America.

The original Super Mario All-Stars — which consists of Super Nintendo remakes of Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels — was released back in 1993.

The Wii reissue will feature special packaging. Included will be a booklet called "Super Mario History 1985-2010" as well as a CD of Mario music ranging from the original game to Super Mario Galaxy 2.

No word on an international release.

If they included SMW, 64 and Sunshine, then that would be a compilation worth getting. As it stands, I'm loath to buy something that I already bought over 15 years ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Awww man.. I loved the original!

But yeah, this smells of desperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

It's too much for me to hope for SMW, 64 and Sunshine; i.e. a proper Mario All-Stars 2. The first shouldn't be anything more than a virtual console release.

Edit: It seems that it's not certain to be just a port and might contain extra games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't forget Yoshi's Island to round it off. Nintendo seem to be promoting the 'Mario, part of the family thing'. It better not be the original, for the price I'd expect a whole lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Throw in Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario too while you're at it. Make it a collectors edition Mario Anthology. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I'm gonna buy this, if it's released here...if it is just the original All-Stars, I'd prefer to see a VC release. The Japanese love their fancy editions, it makes sense to release the packaged edition there. Here, not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Wow, that's a bit cheeky. Reminds me of the Zelda retrospective disc, except that was free and had Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask on it.

I'd really like to get the CD with the game music compilation on it, but not if I have to buy old games I've already played and have lying around somewhere to get it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

basquille wrote: »
    Awww man.. I loved the original!

But yeah, this smells of desperation.

Quite the opposite, imho! The only people who owned SNES machines back in the day were little nerds like myself. Now Nintendo are pushing Mario in a big way to the general public, and they have 4-5 brilliant games that that vast majority of people have never played before. They would be mad NOT to rerelease this.

They could easily release this as a VC title but the fact is that the audience that they are tageting is the same audience that have probably never downloaded a VC title before (or even know about the service)

This will sell by the bucketload. if they add extras, and maybe update the graphics, I may consider buying it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Mr E wrote: »
    If they included SMW, 64 and Sunshine, then that would be a compilation worth getting. As it stands, I'm loath to buy something that I already bought over 15 years ago.

Fully agree, fancy packaging and a book though? For God sake, they could have remade SMB1 with NSMB graphics for the anniversary, or as Mr.E said, include some additional classics...but this sounds like a ported snes rom in a fancy box for 30 quid. No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Quite the opposite, imho! The only people who owned SNES machines back in the day were little nerds like myself. Now Nintendo are pushing Mario in a big way to the general public, and they have 4-5 brilliant games that that vast majority of people have never played before. They would be mad NOT to rerelease this.

They could easily release this as a VC title but the fact is that the audience that they are tageting is the same audience that have probably never downloaded a VC title before (or even know about the service)

This will sell by the bucketload. if they add extras, and maybe update the graphics, I may consider buying it myself.

If it's a straight port with nothing touched in it, 30 quid is absoloutely outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

I just want a super mario sunshire port/remake......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Turns out that this is a straight port :mad:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NrNAepNbeE&feature=player_embedded

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

When I was a widdle kiddle I asked for a SNES and All Stars for Christmas.
    Santa brought me a Mega Drive instead. ¬_¬

I'll happily buy this if it's cheap. However, I'm not holding out hope on that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just the SNES version of mario all-stars and not even the version that includes super mario world. It's disgraceful to charge for it considering what we got in the Taito legends and Ultimate Genesis collections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

What's the point of this apart from the music and the book? Can't you get them all on the VC?

Anyone think they should either do a kind of updated one like NSMB Wii or else just release it for a lot less?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Disappointing alright that it is just a straight port of the SNES games. Having said that, it is nearly worth getting it just for the awesome packaging alone. It would have pride of place in my collection.

Funny listening to that ad for the collection and you hear the Lost Levels called Mario 2 and Mario 2 called Super Mario USA.

Advertisement