Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Makaton vs Lamh

• 02-09-2010 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I'm unemployed at the moment and would really like to work within services for people with disabilities. Ideally, I'd love to work within Enable Ireland or as a Special needs Assistant well anything really! However, all these jobs seem to be taken before they're advertised I've learnt this through advise from others and my own experience like when I apply for jobs against other people who have less experience/qualification than I do and I don't get interviews aside from the disappointment and degradation of this! i am trying to persevere and make myself more employable. Having worked with children before, it seems to me that Makaton is more widely used in this country despite Lamh being the Irish alternative. And considering when I enquired about doing a course in Lamh I was told to ask around, I can see why. That's beside the point really, I just want advice on which I should pursue Lamh or Makaton.

I would eventually like to be a Speech and Language therapist and I have a degree in linguistics but practical experience is really what I want. If anyone has any suggestion they're more than welcome.

Thank You!

:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭hayser

I can't be of much help as I've only heard of Lamh and am not very familiar with it at that. If you want to be an SNA I'd advise you to do a first aid course, a cert in special needs with the College of Progressive Education. They have an excellent reputation as they used to be the School of Practical Childcare. Good luck.

Advertisement