Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's that.....with the glasses?

Options
  • 02-09-2010 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

Was driving through Sligo the other day around that mad one way system - just past by Cullens heading back into town and there's a big 'image' on the left of an elderly woman with glasses on the side of the building.

Does anyone know who this person is / what there story is, thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I remember reading something about it a few months back.....but old age has got the better of me and I can't remember where I read it.
    I think it was some kind of art project, if something clicks and I remember I'll let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I could be totally wrong here but I believe it's a woman who lived up the Hill who was an immense Sligo Rovers fan and she passed away and it was put up in her honour by them.
    That sounds totally far fetched and could well be but that's what I was told of a friend of mine who is second cousins with her grandson apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 druidland

greetings wrote: »
    I could be totally wrong here but I believe it's a woman who lived up the Hill who was an immense Sligo Rovers fan and she passed away and it was put up in her honour by them.
    That sounds totally far fetched and could well be but that's what I was told of a friend of mine who is second cousins with her grandson apparently.

I really like it, I think it adds to the place :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Does anyone else think it's a bit of a distraction when you're driving round that corner? First time I spotted it, I was like WTF is that? and nearly forgot I was on a road >_<

IMO it looks a bit silly where it is. In fact, the picture itself is just silly. Is it really necessary?

It reminds me of a place in Dublin when you are on the Luas, just after St. James hospital.
    There is an old woman laughing. I think it's odd too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

My dad says it was the oldest resident on the hill and it was put there as part of an art project but also in her honour. I like it, livens up the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Nancy Callaghan :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

greetings wrote: »
    your right btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

my dad was telling me she was a major rovers supporter back in the day,

apparently her favorite quote at the matches was ''open the gate''

I finally found something about it:
    http://stranded.ie/2010/07/09/sligo-house-art/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

Brilliant - thanks everyone for the responses and Magnum lady for finding that article.

Advertisement