Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease expires in 2 weeks but no word from letting agent

Options
  • 02-09-2010 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello,

My husband and I have been renting a 2-bed apartment in Dundrum, D14 for almost 12 months and now it's 2 weeks before the lease expires and we have heard nothing from the letting agent. Is that bad practice on the side of the letting agent or should we have contacted them before to let them know we want to stay? We have been away on holiday for three weeks so it skipped our mind before we left to let them know our position.

I've been reading that when a lease expires it turns into a "part 4" tenancy, but you have to give your agent 35 days notice, so we're too late for that - what happens now?

We don't believe it's in the interests of our letting agent to let us go, not just because they will have to look for new tenants, but also because we've been good tenants, paying the rent on time, taking care of the apartment and using our own furniture. When we signed the lease 12 months ago, we actually negotiated the rent down from €1200 to €1100 per month because it was unfurnished. What do you think the chances are of negotiating the rent down another notch if we were to sign for another 12 months?

When we first moved in the apartment block was half empty and it didn't really fill up until the owners changed the letting agent about 5 months ago. Somehow the new letting agent has got the place has filled up pretty quickly (possibly with students?) so perhaps they won't be too bothered to loose us if they don't want to accept lower rent from us and are confident they can fill our place?

Thanks for any advice you can give us. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If you have a look at DAFT it will give you an indication of the going rate for accommodation in the Dundrum area. It would appear that there are some 2 bed apartments a tad lower than you're currently paying- but that your rent seems to be broadly at market levels at the moment.

I think seeking another reduction- possibly to the EUR1000/month level, in exchange for signing a lease for another year, would be reasonable enough. You may have difficulty getting this depending on how/when the landlord financed the property- but it is a reasonable assumption that you'd get a small reduction in recognition of you being a good tenant.

I'm not sure that students would rent out in Dundrum- its a bit off the beaten track for most colleges- and just beyond walking distance for UCD etc.....?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ps- normally the tenant would notify the landlord with at least the requisite notice period prior to the end of the lease, of their intention to remain on in the property- and it would be at this stage that negotiations/discussions concerning a new lease would ensue.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

smccarrick wrote: »
    Ps- normally the tenant would notify the landlord with at least the requisite notice period prior to the end of the lease, of their intention to remain on in the property- and it would be at this stage that negotiations/discussions concerning a new lease would ensue.
    While this would be polite, there is no requirement to do so.

I think have a word with the agent / landlord, suggest things are a little tight and see if the rent could be reduced. There is no absolute need to sign another lease (its against your interests - who know what you migh want to do in a year's time), but if they insist, use it as a bargaining chip for the rent reduction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You can always try. The worst they can say is no.

I would have assumed thats its part of the letting agents job to be on top of this kinda stuff.

Advertisement