Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speech Therapy

Options
  • 02-09-2010 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I have a 2.2 in linguistics, sociology and a few electives in psychology including the psychology of language and advanced developmental psychology. I was very close to getting a 2.1 but my second semester results let me down a little, if I had the opportunity I would have had my semester 1 results rechecked but I was confident at the time time that I would be able to hold onto that 2.1. This is quite an issue when applying for postgrads, a 2.2 seems to rule me out completely regardless of my anything else. I have applied to the University of Limerick twice since I left college and haven't even been offered an interview. If anyone has any advice, I would like to hear it. I'm currently working as a volunteer for a charity that deal with acquired brain injuries and my objectives have been greatly encouraged. However, I have been unemployed for over a year and despite really wanting a job I can't seem to get one and I can't get into college either. I am looking at the Speech and Language Therapy assistant course in Portobello Institute and I'm unsure, it seems interesting but given the course fees are huge, is it something that will be of benefit to me or has anyone else done this course? I haven't seen any assistant jobs advertised in the last 3 years but maybe I'm looking in all the wrong places!

end rant

Thank You!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 busyizzy.1

Have you considered looking at the english courses (you will find them through the Ucas website). There are a lot of Msc Speech Therapy courses available and a 2.2 is sufficient for most, especially with your work experience. One advantage over Limerick is that fees are paid by the NHS if you are an EU resident. Might not suit you but worth looking into if its what you really want.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

I will give you my complete honest opinion here, I really dont think you have a chance with limerick. Ive been to a few of their info days and they always say they dont even look at ppl with 2.2s, like the course is difficult for people with 2.1s to get into so they just rule out the 2.2s.
    I wouldnt bother with that slta course.... ive been working as an slta in two different places and it was pure luck that I got those places (i happened to know people in the department) and no slta course is required to work as an slta. to be honest there are very few slta positions around because they just arent needed and its very rare to hear of a position going.

I really would go to England if I was you. some of them are easier to get into such as the edinburgh for example. They have free fees so save yourself 10 grand there simply!

sorry if this isnt what you wanted to hear but I hope its helpful... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mclimi

thanks guys! i had come to that conclusion myself really actually nice to have some be honest with me id rather know whats what! I'm doin my application for edinburgh now at the minute dont suppose you got any tips on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 busyizzy.1

A strong personal statement can help you get an interview. If I were you I would apply for loads of unis. I know they are a pain and take ages but its worth a shot. Im not sure the scottish unis have the same bursary system as england so you might want to check that out. Having fees paid makes a big difference. Thestudentroom.co.uk has info on all the unis and the way the system works so might help.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SLTUL

I am currently studying Speech and Language Therapy in the University of Limerick and feel the course has been mis-represented on this page! If you are interested in becoming an SLT I would strongly encourage you to apply, even if you only achieved a 2.2 you may still be considered for a place so it's worth trying! The main advice I can give is to try and get any related work experience you can and to find out as much as you can about the profession before applying. There is a real mix of backgrounds among people in the course from teaching to anthropology so even if you're studying something unrelated it's still worth applying!
    As for the course being 'a joke' and the lecturers being 'questionable' I think it's important to highlight that those making these comments were unsuccessful in gaining entry into the course and therefore are not in a position to comment on it! The course is highly regarded among employers in this and other countries. It is not easy and requires huge commitment but it is worth it and I would highly recommend going for it if you think you can handle it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

I'm not sure why someone from the department is posting on boards.ie. They should be proud of their degree without having to defend it on a message forum. Dear me...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 MCKERRY

Hi. Has anybody got into the MSc in Speech & Language Therapy in UL with a 2.2 honours degree in da last 2 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

I definitely wouldn't bother with the SLT assistant course. The chances of actually getting a job are slim to none as there are very few positions and the HSE is still not hiring. I think you're better off continuing to try to gain relevant work experience, and as others have suggested, apply for courses abroad. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

This is a pretty old thread.... Mckerry are you interested in the course? Have you any experience? I'd say the only way someone would be accepted with a 2.2 is if they had a really great application with lots of relevant experience.

I have past experience with elderly/stokes & I have over 6 years experience with adults & children with disabilities. I have also worked with young children. Any advice 4 the application?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

MCKERRY wrote: »
    I have past experience with elderly/stokes & I have over 6 years experience with adults & children with disabilities. I have also worked with young children. Any advice 4 the application?

Ok well that's great and hopefully that will be enough to help you. I would spend a lot of time on the application as they don't interview people anymore so they decide solely on your application.

augusta24: have u completed this post grad in UL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I applied last year to SLT in UL, similarly to you I have have a lot of work experience. However, you need to have an 2:1 degree as well. I rang up for feedback when I was not offered a place. I was told there is nothing more I can do for work experience side or the understanding of SLT as I have scored top marks on that, but as I only have a pass undergraduate degree, they won't even really consider the application.

She advised me to do a postgraduate or Higher diploma to prove my academic suitability. The lady was very nice, and said she knows it is an expensive route for me, but if I am very keen to do the SLT course in UL I will need to prove my academic ability. I am know doing a part time masters while working, and hopefully will get on to the course after that is completed.

PANDA100: Thank u 4 ur reply. Can i ask u is it a past degree and what degree u had? I have a 2.2 in Applied Social Studies. From reading the apllication gudielines i think a 2.2 is considered but obviously people with 1st class honours get 1st preference. Hope ur studies are going well that sounds tough.

I have just completed my personal statement & I am very nervous about submitting it. Have u any tips or advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

PANDA100: Thank u 4 ur reply. Can i ask u is it a past degree and what degree u had? I have a 2.2 in Applied Social Studies. From reading the apllication gudielines i think a 2.2 is considered but obviously people with 1st class honours get 1st preference. Hope ur studies are going well that sounds tough.

Hi McKerry, I studied medicine for 5 years, and then decided I didn't want to finish the course, as I had another two years left, so I was able to graduate with a medical science degree. The pass mark is a 50% in medicine so I only graduated with a pass medical science degree. It's very frustrating, as I think my undergraduate degree is highly relevant to SLT, but I guess they have certain standards they have to meet for entry requirements.

I would say just do your best with the personal statement. Show them how much you want to do the course and what experience you have. Now is not the time to be modest :) I'm sure you will do fine. I would also highly recommend applying to SLT courses in England. In most cases you get your fee's paid for you by the NHS, as its a health care course. It might work out a little bit cheaper studying over there, and it may prove a bit easier to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Quibbler

I have just completed my personal statement & I am very nervous about submitting it. Have u any tips or advice?

I would recommend getting someone else to proof read it to make sure it's perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 emie1990

Hi
    I too applied for the SLT course in UL in December. I have 2.2 in my undergraduate degree which I know makes it extremely difficult to get in. I have been looking at courses in UK but it seems a lot of them are looking for 2.1 or higher. Can anyone tell me what universities in UK will accept someone with 2.2 because I'm coming up blank :(

Hi emie.
    The offers are out. U can check ur application via UL website with ur user name & password. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Roishroo

Hi,

I just came across this thread as I'm applying for Postgrads/undergrads both here and in the UK. I have a 2.2 degree in Sociology & Politics and Geography, with some psychology modules completed in the first year of my degree. I have applied to various universities over the past 2 years and have never been accepted. This year I began the SLT Assistant course in Portobello to strengthen my application. I have completed various work experience with children struggling with communication difficulties and also with dysphasia patients.

I am trying so hard to get into any SLT course. Any information or tips would be greatly appreciated. I would ideally love to get into QMU in Edinburgh or UL.

Also, considering I don't get any offer this year, are SLT Assistant jobs still few and far between these days? Have the HSE began hiring again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 emmalouiseb123

hi,
    i was just wondering if anyone could offer any advice for the slt conversion courses applications. i'm applying to do the speech and language courses in ul and in the uk. the deadlines for ul and edinburgh are next month and i'm just wondering if any of ye are applying or had any luck applying last year? i have a 2.1 degree in english and psychology and i'm currently doing some volunatary work exp by shadowing an slt and in a nursing home. and in the event that i dont get accepted this year i was thinking of applying to be an slt assistant in the uk for some more experience. is an slt degree required to be an assistant or would it be posible to become an slt assistant with just work experience and volunteering experience?
    any info related to this appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sandd123

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone has done the speech and language therapy assistant modules with portobello? Is it worthwhile? Im a teacher and would love to go down the speech therapy route but I cant give up work to study at the moment. any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement