Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keith Barry is doing another tour with the Asylum

Options
  • 02-09-2010 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

Dates & Venue to be anounced but shoud be kicking off in Jan .
    I might go and see him this time , any one else planning on going ?? or allready seen it ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I went to see it last time round. It's easily his best show yet. I found the previous one to be a bit all over the place (Not really enough leading one bit into the next) but he completely sorted for the current tour.

If you have not seen it yet I would certainly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

its a very well put together show, well worth a visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Great show.
    Very funny and clever.
    Well worth the €28 ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

Can he do magic? or is it just for the show? Love to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,923 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I haven't seen this, but the posters instantly reminded me of another Irish show which came out a good while before called Magic Macabre.

First thing that came into my head was 'Keith Barry, you big thief!'

Anyone been to both? Are they anything alike? Magic Macabre was great.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    I haven't seen this, but the posters instantly reminded me of another Irish show which came out a good while before called Magic Macabre.

First thing that came into my head was 'Keith Barry, you big thief!'

Anyone been to both? Are they anything alike? Magic Macabre was great.

Only alike in that the both have an asylum theme. I did not get up to Dublin for it, but from what I gathered Magic Macabre was a much larger scale theatrical grand illusion show. Keiths show is a mix of magic an mentalism with a bit of hypnosis thrown in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I haven't seen him myself but my cousin went to see him and met him after the show, she said he was polite and gentlemen like and his show was incredible. Seriously thinking of going to see him this time I love magic shows a bit geeky but sure what the hell you only live once.

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    I haven't seen him myself but my cousin went to see him and met him after the show, she said he was polite and gentlemen like and his show was incredible. Seriously thinking of going to see him this time I love magic shows a bit geeky but sure what the hell you only live once.

you'll enjoy it, its a fantastic show, and he always comes out to the lobby after to sign autographs and pose for photos etc, so hang about if you'd like to meet him. nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I was at the one last year, can't remember the title but bar the backward handshake for the crowd at the start I found him to be completely unconvincing and would not go again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Jay D wrote: »
    I was at the one last year, can't remember the title but bar the backward handshake for the crowd at the start I found him to be completely unconvincing and would not go again.

That was a different show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

Saw the Asylum last year. First half was fair quality mentalism, second half of the show was a Hypnosis show with lots of crude jokes and little else.

In his finale to part one (Limerick show) he 'guessed' that the lady on stage was thinking of a 'Polar Bear in the forest' or something like that. She sought to clarify 'You mean what am I thinking of right now or what did I write down earlier on?' She clearly had writtten about the polar bear earlier at some point and he was seeking to convince the audience that he has read her mind right now. In any case I am not sure that anyone noticed but it was really funny to hear him fudge the answer to her question and move things along.

By the way, what ever happened to that Q&A with Keith Barry that was done on Boards earlier this year?

Darragh has it, I'm repeatedly putting pressure on him to put it up but its been put off for editing several times. Will chase it up again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I do enjoy Keith's stuff , a lot of it is very recognisable. However I do think his brand of hypnosis is very crude and cheapens hypnosis a bit. I saw Derren Brown in Dublin recently who also did a hypnosis routine , which didnt rely on language or cheap jokes to sell it. I'm sure it's hilarious to some people , just not me.

Bit like how Roy Chubby Brown is just a fat man on a stage swearing as opposed to a comedian.

horgan_p wrote: »
    I do enjoy Keith's stuff , a lot of it is very recognisable. However I do think his brand of hypnosis is very crude and cheapens hypnosis a bit. I saw Derren Brown in Dublin recently who also did a hypnosis routine , which didnt rely on language or cheap jokes to sell it. I'm sure it's hilarious to some people , just not me.

Bit like how Roy Chubby Brown is just a fat man on a stage swearing as opposed to a comedian.

How can you cheapen hypnosis?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I think thats another discussion for another day.....

I saw Derren Brown in London (Enigma Show) and in my opinion Keith does not compare well. He is skilled as a Mentalist and Magician but his selling of the effects could be improved a lot. Brown's explanation of the efffects are excellent both in content and the way in which he sells them, Keith's on the other hands are less convincing and a bit rushed. Keith might say 'Ancient Voodoo tribes believed in a fire spirit I am going to use that spirit now', before performing the effect. His setups are weak and hence the effects lack punch.

Keith is a likeable guy and I enjoyed the first-half of his show as I said but the hypotism was just lowest common denominator stuff. He made one girl believe that her breasts were shouting out her deepest darkest secrets and the only way to stop them was to shout 'Shut the F*** up' at her breasts. He had guys giving birth. People seeing others as naked with huge genitals etc!

Maybe he has found that this is the stuff that people like/remember/come to see. Maybe he hates this sort of stuff himself I don't know. But I would not go to see him again.

Advertisement