Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rosedale Chimney !

• 02-09-2010 3:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭

Has anyone rode up this fearsome 'hill' ?!? :cool:
    Its in North Yorkshire. Just out of curiosity, how would it compare to our steepest climbs here in Ireland ?
    The Chimney
    I read about it in a magazine the other day, some guy had failed to finish it on numerous occasions but for the article he managed to do it. He was quoting gradients of 25%/36%/39%.....ouch !! :eek: (.........but..........the gradients shown above on the link are not as fearsome !!)
    I then stumbled on it while browsing the net today, article , and the lads were using fixed gear bikes with 42-22 or 24, fair play, I know I wouldn't have the legs, I'd be struggling with 28-34 !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭adodsk

loads of talk about it on here along with some other UK monsters.....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Used to live only a few miles away, but can honestly say I've never been anywhere near it on a bike. There are a few roads with 25%+ gradients in the North Yorks Moors - the most famous one being Sutton Bank, which I ended up walking up most of the way on a coast to coast (Morecambe to Scarborough) a few years ago

I have been up The Rake in Ramsbottom, just outside Bury, a few times though. It has been used for UK Hill Climb championships, and is about 25% maximum gradient (I could not get any traction on the back wheel at one point) - it's also cobbled in places!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭adodsk

Doesn't quite have those steep gradients but I always fancied trying this out for endurance. Lovely part of the world.

There are a couple of sportives each year which include it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I've walked it, but never cycled it - and it's steep, but the views etc in the area are outstanding.

Sutton Bank, as Beasty pointed out, would be worth a climb if for no other reason than there's a lovely town at the top.

A lot of the "banks" in the area rise up to moorland so the elevation gain isn't that great - probably getting close to some of the lower Wicklow mountains, but the gradients can be 20% upwards - I think Sutton Bank is 25%.

Did a bit in the SW of England this time last year and it was savage climbing all 20% ups and downs - slept like a baby after that day!

Kirkstone Pass might be the ultimate one in England - I have this on my list of to-do's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Scrub that - I was confused - I've done Kirkstone and it was bloody hard work - I think I meant Hardknott, which I've driven and walked, but yet to cycle!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Beasty wrote: »
    Bury The Rake in Ramsbottom
    Mjust go over there someday and mess with the local signposts :-)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Jawgap wrote: »
    Scrub that - I was confused - I've done Kirkstone and it was bloody hard work - I think I meant Hardknott, which I've driven and walked, but yet to cycle!
    I presume you meant scrub the Sutton Bank bit, as I can confirm there is definitely no town at the top! However, a few miles down the road is a place called Helmsley - now that is a very nice town (not much more than a village actually), and was the place where the policeman that wrote the Heartbeat books was based - I also went to primary school there.

Mjust go over there someday and mess with the local signposts :-)
    When the locals ask you where you're going, just say Upper Ramsbottom - they'll direct you appropriately;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭neris

that the hill the young lad wheels the bread up?

No, that's Accrington, Stanley ...

I think it's actually filmed somewhere in Yorkshire, but could be wrongon Gold Hill in Shaftesbury:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Those 'hills' on the road home from Tramore to Dungarvan (on the SKTour 90km route last Sunday) all seemed like 33% gradients :eek:

Or as one poster (in the forum mentioned above) said: "...I had a Guinness the other night, 3 £ 50 it was, .......now thats 'steep' " :p

Advertisement