Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proper way to set up ads modem plus separate wireless router In large house?

Options
  • 02-09-2010 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently trying to sort out the network in my sisters house for her for wireless.

She has the eircom netopia 2247 and a separate wireless n router (azurewave I think).

The house is about 2000ft sq. Both ate transmitting with wireless on at the moment and are located in one corner of her house.The reason for the n router iis to boost range.

The xbox takes an age getting into games on xbox live and often gets kicked out mid-game even though it's only about 20ft away from the router.

Also, the laptop drops connection to the net fairly
    often . She needs the netopia modem for voip calls so I don't want to change that unless I really have to.
    I would be grateful of any advice on how to set up her network properly so xbox live works properly and she has a decent wireless signal downstairs too.

Thanks
    Ken

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

The kind of info I'm really looking for is

1..best location of modem/router or router in relation to modem

2. Should I disable wireless & security on the modem and have it just on the router or should I have the same security and ssid on both?

3. Should I put the netopia modem in bridge mode?

4. How do I set up port forwarding for the xbox...do I set it up on the router or modem?

Any advice would be great....thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Pretty much the same as here

bhickey wrote: »
    Pretty much the same as here

Ya I suppose I could set them up like this and see how it goes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Also bear in mind that you only get the benefits of the n standard if all the equipment is n.

Ya I follow ya dub45... And the equipment is NOT!!!
    I'll be using the n-wireless router primarily as a signal booster to the eircom netopia.

I'm gonna try one upstairs and one downstairs and see how it goesz

• Advertisement

Ok I gotit sorted this morning. Moved the modem to a more central part of the house and ran a new phoneline to it. I set up the eircom netopia on it's own without any router first to try it.

I opened all four ports for xbox live manually. As soon as I saw it was working I added security.

The netopia adsl modem seems to be reaching all parts of the house so I'm not gonna bother with the router unless it's needed to boost signal later.

Thanks for all your help.
    Ken

Advertisement