Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven

Options
  • 02-09-2010 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭

What's your opinon of this song? Stairway has always been hailed as an all time classic, and to some proberly among the best songs in the world. But what are your thoughts of it?

Me, I think it's a good song. A very good song, but not as great as people make it out to be. Maybe it's because i'm from a different generation to those who might hold that regard for the song. I even prefer The Immigrant Song to this song, but that's my opionion. What's yours?

Edit- Might as well post the song anyway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

It's great the first million times you hear it. Then it starts to grate a bit.

Whaddya mean "I even prefer Immigrant Song"?

That's WAY better.

i'm all in favour of "No Stairway" signs in music shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Riddle101

It's great the first million times you hear it. Then it starts to grate a bit.

Whaddya mean "I even prefer Immigrant Song"?

That's WAY better.

i'm all in favour of "No Stairway" signs in music shops.

Yeah that's what I mean. Immigrant song is my favourite Led Zep song. To me it's the best. But people make Stairway out to be their best song. Hense why people praise it so highly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

This'll always be my favourite Led Zep song. The first song on their first album. A debut doesn't get any better than this.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Chlichéd to the max, but still a great song, love the solo.

That'd be my favourite personally :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭dasdog

In reference to the famous "No Stairway" opening riff that everyone used to want to learn when they first picked up a guitar...

Actually the whole song was first played live to an audience in Belfast and Dublin the next night (I've got the bootlegs). If you really want to get your tin foil hat on:

But my favourite song of theirs is probably "No Quarter" from Houses of the Holy.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I never get tired of it. Definitely a class song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Overplayed. Not overrated as some would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Overplayed. Not overrated as some would say.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Beautiful but yes overplayed.

For me it's Kashmir, although its hard to pick just one favourite!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Stairway is probably more iconic than truly great. But you could say that about a lot of songs I suppose.

This is my favourite:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Yeah definitely more iconic, I have often read how they came off stage after their first playing saying 'We've created a monster' bu I can't imagine I'd have been that moved with it in comparison to the rest of their catalogue. But people were doing a lot of acid back then...

This is definitely mine, it's flawless

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I definitely overplayed the song in my youth, loved it but overplayed it.
    Then started skipping it when playing the album but when i saw them play it live..WOW, totally blew me away, actually had me in tears. Incredible experience, made me realise again just how powerful the song is. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

it's a fantastic song, a true classic.
    Yep it's overplayed though, a victim of its own genius I think.

However it's not their best imo, as previously stated
    Kashmir & Immigrant Song are better, and I love Achilles last stand probably most of all.

Zeppelin rules man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Its a song I have loved, overplayed, and now generally skip, or sigh when i hear it mentioned. However if it comes on the radio I am secretly thrilled to hear it and lets face it folks, it has one stonking good solo in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

First got into Zeppelin at the age of 14 -15, Stairway never did it for me back then. I’m 35 now so I’ve seen the light. Every time I hear No Quarter I wanna do mushrooms. Stairway is a great song, but not their best. Achilles Last Stand is the ultimate Zep tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

While it's not my personal favourite Zeppelin song (I find this title shifts... The Battle of Evermore; The Rain Song; No Quarter; Ramble On; Immigrant Song; ...I can't do this!) it does deserve it's recognition. It is an all-time classic. It covers most of their sounds. It's like a perfect summary.

And while I skip it most times, it was the song that made me aware of my favourite band, ever. It opened up pure acoustical ecstasy.

Thank you Led Zeppelin for these gifts you've given unto me.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

I think Stairway would be pretty bland if it wasn't for the guitar solo section. I think Plant said he ade up the lyrics during the original seven takes or something? They sound like it.

Over the Hills and Far Away or Nobody's Fault But Mine FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

I listened to them a lot when I was a teenager in the late '80s and haven;t listened to a Led Zeppelin album in its entirety for I'd say at least 15 years.

I remember one year in school, the religion teacher (a christian brother) teached asked us all to bring a recording of a song that had meaning in our lives. A load of us brought in tapes of Stairway to Heaven.

I remember the teacher being exasperated, saying something like "what is the obsession that teenagers have with Stairway to Heaven". That burst my bubble a bit, since I thought I was cool listening to Zeppelin.

I'd guess the teenager of today would not be listening to Stairway to Heaven that often: don't know what they would be listening to but I don't think it would be that. In that sense, I don't think its aged all that well.

Iti s an iconic song however in much the same way that Hey Jude is an iconic song for the Beatles. Maybe not their best song, but definitely has an epic quality.

Personally I preferred Led Zeppelin I and III to IV. Babe I'm gonna leave you and Thats the way were my favourite tracks. Wouldn't mind giving them a listen again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Cant stand that song :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

after hearing the original millions of times I'd much prefer this version:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭dasdog

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    First got into Zeppelin at the age of 14 -15, Stairway never did it for me back then. I’m 35 now so I’ve seen the light. Every time I hear No Quarter I wanna do mushrooms

April 1993, still in my first year in college and peaking on two double dip strawberries. That song/moment will stay with me. Oddly enough as someone else was saying, it was probably the last time I sat down and listened to a full Zep album.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

Since I've been loving you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I dont know if Stairway is overrated but maybe its become a bit too familiar and you might want to not listen to it for a while, and yes Zep have other brilliant songs: Just off the top of my head, I mean have you ever noticed how f&cking intricate Black Dog is? Those time signatures!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

It's played on the radio somewhere in the world every three minutes, or three seconds I can't remember.

Ka-Ching!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

Bros it's a masterpiece, simple as that

imagine hearing it again for the first time, i remember when I heard it first and was blown away by it

Sure we all have our favourite Zep songs, mine being "TSRTS, achillies last stand, you shook me and Achillies last stand"

but this is a complete piece of aural beauty from start to finish

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I haven't heard it that many times, so I'm not sick of it. I suppose it also depends on how you feel about Progressive Rock, since it does have a bit of that: mulit-part, key changes, etc. My favourite fun fact: that guitar solo was recorded on an ordinary Telecaster through a tiny Fender amp - bedroom-level gear. No Marshall Stack required. :p

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LadyXXX

Trampled Underfoot is my favourite by far

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjq6KOL6_4Y

Taurus' song called 'Spirit'. Zeppelin opened for them in '68.

(When the levee breaks is the greatest Zep track imo.)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement