Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Believers Vs Non-believers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

I don't think it's the alien and agnostic forum either. :P

Seriously, give a solid argument which is both intelligently articulated and supported with viable evidence from reputable sources and you will have a captive audience, unfortunately people tend to approach this forum with neither and then get upset when they are laughed out the door again.

Ah Ickle Magoo, take it easy on him eh ? :)

And Demonspawn a tip from me - getting angry will get you nowhere on here...

I'm backing out now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭demonspawn

Seriously, give a solid argument which is both intelligently articulated and supported with viable evidence from reputable sources and you will have a captive audience, unfortunately people tend to approach this forum with neither and then get upset when they are laughed out the door again.

Funny, you lot seem to laugh at any opinion that differs from your own. It's disrespectful and arrogant. I've argued my case to the best of my ability and you're still not happy. A discussion for me is the exchange of ideas, whether I agree with those ideas is irrelevant. You seem to believe that your ideas are the absolute truth, and are completely unwilling to accept an opposing argument.

Dades wrote: »
    demonspawn, let me ask you this, do you believe the Christian God, Muslim God or any other gods as suggested by men exist? I'm not asking you if you if you know (nobody does!) or if you care, but on the balance of probabilities, do you believe any of those gods exist?

No, I believe a god could exist, but the God of the Abrahamic religions is an artificial construct to apply control over the population by a minority.
    Secondly, you've come on to this forum in a rather aggressive fashion and yet somehow seem surprised to meet opposition to your views. You openly stated you hate atheists, and yet here you still are when any other forum would have ejected you long ago.

Yes, I came here in an aggressive fashion because I know how atheists and the religious argue in the same fashion. I was not expecting to be set upon by the entire forum, including moderators. But I guess there's strength in numbers eh? Luckily, I'm quite strong enough to stand on my own two feet. I don't need a mob behind me for support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

demonspawn wrote: »
    Funny, you lot seem to laugh at any opinion that differs from your own. It's disrespectful and arrogant. I've argued my case to the best of my ability and you're still not happy. A discussion for me is the exchange of ideas, whether I agree with those ideas is irrelevant. You seem to believe that your ideas are the absolute truth, and are completely unwilling to accept an opposing argument.

Opinion without evidence is pretty worthless here. Contrary to your repeated statements, we don't generally think our ideas are absolute truth, but you do have to present actual evidence in order to convince us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Atheism has nothing to do with skepticism over alien hybrid breeding or ET helping to build the pyramids...for about the fourth time now, it's just a lack of belief in god/s.

Again, I'm happy to review my thinking as and when any viable evidence from reputable sources is made available - that goes for any subject from theism to extra-terrestrial activity on earth, I don't have an explanation beyond what is there for all to see. I am not determinedly atheist nor have decided there is no more to life than what I see - for whatever reason, I have always lacked the ability to fill in the gaps of my knowledge with completely unsubstantiated faith based claims. I don't think expecting claims to be strong enough to survive robust scrutiny and accompanied by verifiable evidence is intellectual fascism. Why do you dismiss the bible despite so many christians telling you the bible makes sense or their preacher has it right or they speak with god? Why is it any different for others when discerning the logic of your own claims?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You must not have many friends if this is the way you carry on. Read my last post, I'm done arguing with people like you.

That's not quite a refutation, is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Please be aware that the reason many of us here are posting in this forum is that we are open minded when it comes to evidence that opposes our own (often long-held) beliefs and are willing to challenge our beliefs and convictions.

If we weren't, many of us would not be atheists.

By the way, what difference does the form in which my evidence presents itself make? I'd love to be able to go research all this stuff myself but it's not so easy, as I'm sure you know.

I have my beliefs, I tried to explain them and was shot down before ever being given a chance because of your preconceived notions. Nobody here is interested in evidence, you're only interested in making others look bad so that you can look good. Well pat yourselves on the back, I'm out of here. Have fun discussing....well, nothing really. Or at least the existence of nothing.

/cuts tension.

Zillah how are you?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

No, I believe a god could exist, but the God of the Abrahamic religions is an artificial construct to apply control over the population by a minority.
    Which is exactly what most atheists believe.

Yes, I came here in an aggressive fashion because I know how atheists and the religious argue in the same fashion. I was not expecting to be set upon by the entire forum, including moderators. But I guess there's strength in numbers eh? Luckily, I'm quite strong enough to stand on my own two feet. I don't need a mob behind me for support.
    To suggest you were "set upon" would imply a trap rather than a reaction to your own initial comments, surely. Did you even did check what forum you were in before you started posting? What's amusing is we've been trying to claim you are one of "our own" since you started posting here and yet you still seem to believe there's a mob against you. :)

• Advertisement

By the way, what difference does the form in which my evidence presents itself make? I'd love to be able to go research all this stuff myself but it's not so easy, as I'm sure you know.

Because posting a YouTube CT clip is the equivalent of a theist posting a clip from an evangelical pastor and saying "This is why I'm christian, this is all the evidence you need, you'll find everything explained in the next two hours by this guy - take that!"...would find that an acceptable tact?
    I have my beliefs, I tried to explain them and was shot down before ever being given a chance because of your preconceived notions. Nobody here is interested in evidence, you're only interested in making others look bad so that you can look good. Well pat yourselves on the back, I'm out of here. Have fun discussing....well, nothing really. Or at least the existence of nothing.

The only way anyone can look bad in an argument is by having such a thread-bare PoV that it collapses under scrutiny and cannot be defended - or throwing a strop/flouncing out. Skepticism and atheism do have a habit of going hand in hand and so any unevidenced claims that are well trodden ground in the CT websites are likely to be treated much the same as beliefs in gods because of the obvious similarities - I wouldn't take it personally. :cool:

/cuts tension.

Zillah how are you?

Just super, kitten. I made a smoothie! How was soccer?

Because posting a YouTube CT clip is the equivalent of a theist posting a clip from an evangelical pastor and saying "This is why I'm christian, this is all the evidence you need, you'll find everything explained in the next two hours by this guy - take that!"...would find that an acceptable tact?

The only way anyone can look bad in an argument is by having such a thread-bare PoV that it collapses under scrutiny and cannot be defended - or throwing a strop/flouncing out. Skepticism and atheism do have a habit of going hand in hand and so any unevidenced claims that are well trodden ground in the CT websites are likely to be treated much the same as beliefs in gods because of the obvious similarities - I wouldn't take it personally. :cool:

Ahh Ickle Magoo I was trying to help him but he wasn't listening.

Zillah wrote: »
    Just super, kitten. I made a smoothie! How was soccer?

Pity he stormed off the way he did, he just reminded me of me a while ago, and now I know, you're not going to get ANYWHERE arguing like that, ah well.

Incidentally, are you still in Canada? I presume so, as Ireland wouldn't really be smoothie country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Pity he stormed off the way he did, he just reminded me of me a while ago, and now I know, you're not going to get ANYWHERE arguing like that, ah well.

Incidentally, are you still in Canada? I presume so, as Ireland wouldn't really be smoothie country!

Not at two in the morning, anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

From heated debate to small talk about smoothies in under five minutes. I love this place. :pac:

It's like a Boards lock-in!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've been lurking in this thread since it kicked off last night. Only now do I feel safe to try posting in it! Some of the posters in this thread have the patience of saints :pac:

In response to the OP:
    I've described myself as agnostic for nearly 6 years, and borderline atheist for almost 4 years. I had my own understanding of what each of those terms meant. Time, experience and research have given me a better understanding of the terms, so "agnostic atheist" seems the best fitting label for me now. However, not once in that time have I tried to force my points of view on others. I've never been in a "fight" over my beliefs. Nor have I deliberately put myself into heated, personalised arguments.

A good friend of mine occasionally posts in this forum. While we'd irreverently discuss our perceptions of various religious follies between the two of us, we'd never try to belittle or disrespect any individual who holds those same notions dearly.
    The debate is not for proving others wrong. It is for forming a greater understanding of the world and the people in it, for our benefit. If we are later proven wrong, then so be it. The debate will still have been beneficial, even if just from a purely philosophical point of view.

I still admire individuals who are willing to constructively argue opposing points of view to my own. Hopefully I'll find the time to post more often in this forum. I may never be convinced to accept an idea, but I'll still savour the opportunity to empathise with religious believers. It helps to understand why a person believes what they do before rejecting it, as in this case one would at least be making a rationalised and educated decision. Debate between people of varying beliefs facilitates this.

I live in Galway now. And yes, I made a smoothie at 2AM. I had ice cream for breakfast the other day. I'm too cool to follow your rules.

• Advertisement

Stephen Hawkins accepts the possibility of intelligent lifeforms visiting Earth, he even goes so far as to assume they would be much like us and only here for resources, which is ridiculous. So what the f**k are you talking about? Now you see why I ignore your posts?
    Stephen who...?
    Ah yes, him. He's a friend of Richard Dawking, isn't he?
    Ah!
    Can not explain = aliens did it?

You fail at logic.
    Maybe it's time to update my sig :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

mikhail wrote: »
    robindch wrote:
    mikhail wrote: »
    pH wrote: »
    The N-S axis of the Great Pyramid deviates from true north by the far more ordinary and mundane amount of 2' 28" - making your claim that the figure is 3" wrong by a factor of 50.
    Source? Y'know, so as not to be a hypocrite of some sort.
    You can see it yourself from this aerial picture. The pyramids are clearly pushed to the right a bit and also, more importantly, that they're all bent out of shape too. The usual "tourist" pictures you see have been doctored to make them look far straighter than they actually are. Tourists wouldn't come if they knew that the pyramids are as old and knackered-looking as they really are.
    Google maps is stitched together from aerial photography at that range, so there may be some distortion [...]
    My next post satirizing Pyramidiots will be in written in pink, with a fistful of these things :(:eek::rolleyes::D;):p:cool::pac::confused: at the end :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

Great read. I now believe that aliens genetically engineered human DNA so my life is that much more interesting. Thanks all.

robindch wrote: »
    My next post satirizing Pyramidiots will be in written in pink, with a fistful of these things :(:eek::rolleyes::D;):p:cool::pac::confused: at the end :)

I would think a moderator of all people would be less inclined to insult posters on these boards. Very mature.

Well, looks like you lot have f**k all to talk about, other than smoothies or the latest atheist to kick the bucket, when the believers aren't here. That's pretty sad. So I'm back to discuss atheism and what it actually means.

It seems that every atheist on this forum seems to think it means that you must only believe in things that can be proven with absolute certainty. Well, it's not. I'll give you a hint, it's the second part of the word.. atheist.

You seem to wear your atheism like some badge of honor, as if because you only believe in things that can be scientifically proven that you are somehow better than those with "irrational" beliefs. That's not only arrogant and insulting, it's absolute stupidity.

Time has shown over and over again that things we "knew" as scientific fact turned out to be completely false. The cult of Science isn't much different than the belief in God. You believe what you're told by scientists and other atheists without any real understanding of what you're being told. Your Evidence that you so aggressively demand is changing all the time.

Can anyone here honestly hold their hand up and admit they have no clue what Stephen Hawking is talking about half the time? You have to take his word for it because you don't have 10-15 letters after your names. You take what he says on faith as you have no real way of knowing these things yourself. Hell, he's even proven himself wrong on a number of occasions. So where's your evidence then? Scientists are constantly arguing with each other about various things, so how can all this scientific evidence be accepted as absolute fact? It required a little bit of faith, that's how.

I've just completed an astrophysics assignment so I know a very little about what he talks about - but you are missing the point slightly. What you refer to is the beauty of the scientific method - it never claims to have it absolutely correct - there are no absolutes or proofs out-with mathematics. Science tends to be based more in probabilities.

I'm not sure you really understand how the scientific method works. Generally a hypothesis is presented along with all supporting evidence for public perusal and peer review and it is thrown back and forth, sometimes between hundreds of thousand of people many an expert in that field, sometimes over decades; until a hypothesis is trimmed, corrected, changed, updated, gaps filled, etc until we arrive at a theory - the pinnacle of our current understanding. All it takes is for new evidence to present itself and science must take that and change it's views, laws and assumptions accordingly - that's the difference between science and religion that I really like.

I'm not sure what you mean by badge of honour or why you are so angry that some form of evidence is being sought? If I believe the we evolve or that the earth revolves around the sun it is because that can be shown to happen, anyone can study astrophysics or particle physics or theoretical physics if they are real suckers for punishment! :D That some don't or can't understand what some of the top minds in the scientific fields are discussing or proposing is hardly the fault of science, is it?

Edited to add: If someone makes a claim about aliens or gods, you can only take them at their word and choose to believe or not - that's faith. If a physicist makes a claim, there is nothing stopping you from reviewing, debating or disproving their claim. I don't think lack of knowledge and lack of evidence are comparable.

I've just completed an astrophysics assignment so I know a very little about what he talks about - but you are missing the point slightly. What you refer to is the beauty of the scientific method - it never claims to have it absolutely correct - there are no absolutes or proofs out-with mathematics. Science tends to be based more in probabilities.

And yet atheists accept scientific theories as the truth without seeking alternative explanations. Care to explain that to me?
    I'm not sure you really understand how the scientific method works.

I'm well aware of how the scientific method works, and it requires a bit of faith as we do not know all there is to know about the universe. In fact, we know very little in the grand scheme of things. We're still trying to find the basic building blocks of matter.
    I'm not sure what you mean by badge of honour or why you are so angry that some form of evidence is being sought? If I believe the we evolve or that the earth revolves around the sun it is because that can be shown to happen, anyone can study astrophysics or particle physics or theoretical physics if they are real suckers for punishment! :D

Because you do wear it as a badge of honor. You openly criticize those with opposing views because those views do not fit into your own understanding of the universe. You refute any idea if the evidence does not agree with your own views.
    That some don't or can't understand what some of the top minds in the scientific fields are discussing or proposing is hardly the fault of science, is it?

A religious person can use the exact same argument. That some don't or can't understand what some of the top minds in the religious fields are discussing or proposing is hardly the fault of religion , is it? See how that works?
    Edited to add: If someone makes a claim about aliens or gods, you can only take them at their word and choose to believe or not - that's faith. If a physicist makes a claim, there is nothing stopping you from reviewing, debating or disproving their claim. I don't think lack of knowledge and lack of evidence are comparable.

Not when evidence is provided by reputable sources, as I have done in showing that UFO disclosure video. Physical evidence has been provided to prove the existence of extraterrestrial UFOs but it is dismissed out of hand as CT nonsense before it's even given a chance. That's not very scientific.
    As much as you people claim to be scientific and open-minded, the opposite is closer to the truth. You only accept that which you can understand with your limited knowledge of the universe.

• Advertisement

And yet atheists accept scientific theories as the truth without seeking alternative explanations. Care to explain that to me?

Why do you think I would require an alternative to the best explanation currently available? Scientific theories are accepted by all kinds of people because they are the most likely explanation we have given the evidence we have.
    I'm well aware of how the scientific method works, and it requires a bit of faith as we do not know all there is to know about the universe. In fact, we know very little in the grand scheme of things. We're still trying to find the basic building blocks of matter.

There are lots of gaps in our knowledge but hypothesis are not presented with the assumption that a marshmallow man is responsible for X or that particles do the can-can - the assumptions are based on the probabilities of likelihood or assumptions to fulfil the laws that govern our universe.
    Because you do wear it as a badge of honor. You openly criticize those with opposing views because those views do not fit into your own understanding of the universe. You refute any idea if the evidence does not agree with your own views.

There is no evidence for aliens or gods, it isn't that it doesn't agree with my views - it doesn't exist. I don't want to make up things to fill the gaps in my knowledge, I'm happy saying "I don't know". I openly criticise, on this forum at least, anyone who cannot back up their claims with intelligent debate in their own words and fail to provide sources or evidence for the claims they are demanding we all take so seriously.
    A religious person can use the exact same argument. That some don't or can't understand what some of the top minds in the religious fields are discussing or proposing is hardly the fault of religion , is it? See how that works?

While it's true that theologians are experts in their fields - they are no more presenting evidence for the existence of gods nor approaching the situation critically than your average church go-er. Proposals are all very well but if they don't even have a toe-hold in general reality and have zero supporting evidence beyond personal experience then it has no greater standing than those people who have claimed to have seen the loch ness monster.
    Not when evidence is provided by reputable sources, as I have done in showing that UFO disclosure video. Physical evidence has been provided to prove the existence of extraterrestrial UFOs but it is dismissed out of hand as CT nonsense before it's even given a chance. That's not very scientific.
    As much as you people claim to be scientific and open-minded, the opposite is closer to the truth. You only accept that which you can understand with your limited knowledge of the universe.

If evidence existed that was absolutely irrefutable then UFO's would be a fact of life, well documented and universally accepted. The reason they aren't is because it isn't verifiable evidence and the claims have a habit of originating from anything but reputable sources. UFO sources tend to be grainy images, cloaked in secrecy, easily doctored, etc, etc. If evidence was presented to the world and tested by a reputable third party who declared the find as a genuine alien or space-craft then I'll accept that's what they have. A YouTube clip by CT nuts just doesn't cut the mustard - any more than those clips of the wheelchair bound miraculously walking after being healed by their evangelical pastors.

There is certainly much about the universe we don't know about or don't understand but being content to accept our limitations rather than making stuff up or inserting the fanciful is not the same as being closed minded. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I would think a moderator of all people would be less inclined to insult posters on these boards. Very mature.

Well, looks like you lot have f**k all to talk about, other than smoothies or the latest atheist to kick the bucket, when the believers aren't here. That's pretty sad. So I'm back to discuss atheism and what it actually means.

It seems that every atheist on this forum seems to think it means that you must only believe in things that can be proven with absolute certainty. Well, it's not. I'll give you a hint, it's the second part of the word.. atheist.

You seem to wear your atheism like some badge of honor, as if because you only believe in things that can be scientifically proven that you are somehow better than those with "irrational" beliefs. That's not only arrogant and insulting, it's absolute stupidity.

Time has shown over and over again that things we "knew" as scientific fact turned out to be completely false. The cult of Science isn't much different than the belief in God. You believe what you're told by scientists and other atheists without any real understanding of what you're being told. Your Evidence that you so aggressively demand is changing all the time.

Can anyone here honestly hold their hand up and admit they have no clue what Stephen Hawking is talking about half the time? You have to take his word for it because you don't have 10-15 letters after your names. You take what he says on faith as you have no real way of knowing these things yourself. Hell, he's even proven himself wrong on a number of occasions. So where's your evidence then? Scientists are constantly arguing with each other about various things, so how can all this scientific evidence be accepted as absolute fact? It required a little bit of faith, that's how.
    Ok I'll bite.

We have fuck all to talk about? Hang on, aren't you the guy who didn't want us to be discussing stuff in the first place? I was under the impression that was why you posted this thread. Guess I owe you an apology on that one. Ye, life can be depressing you know, I'm sorry but sometimes our tongues go dry and words fail to evaporate out.

Actually, firstly categorising atheists as having group dictums is grossly incorrect. Some of the posters here share many things in common, but in reality, that's nothing to do with being atheist. Secondly, I'm a sceptic and that is a badge I wear with honour. I actually think it is impossible to prove anything 100%. I think most posters here would agree. Either way it is the essence of the scientific method.
    "No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong" - Albert Einstein

With regards to wearing my atheism with a badge of honour : ABSOLUTELY NOT! If you go back through my post history, you should see how much I hate the term "atheist". It's about as an effective description as describing someone who doesn't support Carlisle Utd an A-Carlisist. The only reason the term exists is because theist see it so necessary to categorise themselves as special and "normal". Maybe they are? Who knows, but I don't believe there exists such a thing as a "normal" person, or the "perfect" one.

If it wasn't for shambolic education systems in most countries human beings wouldn't have this misconception about science. In most schools sci ed is almost indoctrinated on most students. They see it as stroll through boredom land. Everything is either learned by rote, or simply not learned at all. The golden rule of science is skepticism : You never ever, ever! Trust what another scientist is telling you until you can test the argument for yourself. Or at the very least make sure it is coming from a human you have faith on. It may seem weird but the two jobs that epitomise the trust humanity has in one another are science and swat/military units/elements. Science is built off the collective trust of thousands of individuals sharing their knowledge, criticising it and building on it. A Swat unit depends on the trust of each member doing their responsibility honestly and trusting others to do theirs - otherwise the team is compromised and most likely fucked. The only faith science requires is faith in the honesty of others, and we wouldn't have got this far if people weren't, in general, a cooperative bunch.

There was a time, once, when a guy named Carl used to say stuff, stuff I had no clue of. I couldn't understand him, I was only 6, or 7, but the pictures he showed me gave me the urge to try to understand him. No, I do not understand everything Hawkins is saying, (although once I finish this I should have a better idea. :p) nor do I think Hawkings is 100% right. I think that science is based on the idea of consensuses and debates. After all, it was other physicists who showed Hawkins, Newton, Einstein, etc to be wrong. It may take a while, but generally speaking the theory with the most evidence will always rise to the top and become the consensus. [For a really good grasp of this I recommend you read up on the history of the big bang theory, or more recently, Anthropogenic Global Warming.] That is, of course, as long as humans remain consistent in their goals of cooperation. Which really is dependent on stopping nutjob wackos from corrupting the civilisation that 1000s have worked to develop. There are Creationists, homoeopaths, Radical Islamists, etc. who would rather destroy our very way of life just to impose their own pre stone age primate beliefs. Isn't that reason enough for atheists to voice their opinions?

So stick around, have a cup of coffee and in time you may begin to like us. :)

Homoeopaths are trying to destroy our way of life? :eek: Last cup of echinacea tea I ever drink. :mad:

Homoeopaths are trying to destroy our way of life? :eek: Last cup of echinacea tea I ever drink. :mad:

Oh yeah see here demon, I hate homoeopathy with a passion, others here are less passionate.
    Ickle, drink it for taste, but personally I think cidona is better.:pac:

Malty_T wrote: »
    Ok I'll bite.

We have fuck all to talk about? Hang on, aren't you the guy who didn't want us to be discussing stuff in the first place? I was under the impression that was why you posted this thread. Guess I owe you an apology on that one. Ye, life can be depressing you know, I'm sorry but sometimes our tongues go dry and words fail to evaporate out.

I never said we have nothing to talk about. I'm saying that the style in which both sides discuss the topic is close-minded and willfully ignorant. Both side set up camp and defend their position to the bitter end, instead of actually giving the other side a fair hearing. Please tell me this is not the case.
    Actually, firstly categorising atheists as having group dictums is grossly incorrect. Some of the posters here share many things in common, but in reality, that's nothing to do with being atheist. Secondly, I'm a sceptic and that is a badge I wear with honour. I actually think it is impossible to prove anything 100%. I think most posters here would agree. Either way it is the essence of the scientific method.
    "No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong" - Albert Einstein

Then you're not really the type I'm referring to. I'm talking about the "I'm right and your wrong and I have Science to back me up" crowd. In my view, skepticism and atheism go hand in hand. They refuse to accept something without irrefutable evidence, when the reality is there no such thing as irrefutable evidence. This is the point I'm trying to make.

Science is built off the collective trust of thousands of individuals sharing their knowledge, criticising it and building on it.

I'd have to disagree. I believe many scientists spend more time trying to prove their theories correct than they do trying to prove another person's theories wrong. It's only once in a while that a scientist will question a widely held belief in a theory that progress is made. Many theories are taken as the gospel truth and they stay that way until someone comes along and see that theory from a different perspective.

My argument is that the atheists on these boards, and many others, will dismiss any evidence that just doesn't make sense to them without giving that evidence a fair hearing. This has already been proven in this thread. My theory is scientifically sound, though it may be improbable, and I've been attacked by nearly every atheist poster here without being given the benefit of the doubt. This is my problem, you see?

Atheists are so hostile to those that have faith, yet they don't realize that many of their scientific theories are based on the faith of our limited knowledge of the universe.

• Advertisement

I'm trying to have an intelligent discussion here, please try to restrain yourself from making pointless comments. It throws the conversation off course and it's disrespectful.

Edit: And I think the pointless "thanks" of stupid, pointless comments reaffirms my position of the mob mentality on these boards. Great job lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

If god does exist he's a fat lazy useless cnut who plays xbox all day going by his track record.

Edit: People who play xbox excuse me for the comparison.

Inquitus wrote: »
    If god does exist he's a fat lazy useless cnut who plays xbox all day going by his track record.

Edit: People who play xbox excuse me for the comparison.

God, if he does exist, gave us free will. Why do people always accuse God of letting these things happen? It's the most ridiculous, childish argument I've ever heard an atheist mutter. We allow these horrible things to happen, not some imaginary being in space.

You want someone to blame? Start with yourselves.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I never said we have nothing to talk about. I'm saying that the style in which both sides discuss the topic is close-minded and willfully ignorant. Both side set up camp and defend their position to the bitter end, instead of actually giving the other side a fair hearing. Please tell me this is not the case.

I hope you can recognise that this is exactly what you have been doing for the past 400 posts or so.

Group thinks are an extremely common aspect of human nature. I would tend to argue that, on average, skeptics are the least prone to groupthinks. Though, I admit, this is mostly from personal experience. I may be wrong. The problem is we're a competitive bunch, very few folks like to lose an argument and always see themselves as right. They usually resort to putting the goalpost on warp drive before admitting their argument was incorrect.
    Again, I'd say this falls more heavily on the ideological sides. One reason why I prefer ascribing the term freethinkers to many posters here, including myself.
    Then you're not really the type I'm referring to. I'm talking about the "I'm right and your wrong and I have Science to back me up" crowd. In my view, skepticism and atheism go hand in hand. They refuse to accept something without irrefutable evidence, when the reality is there no such thing as irrefutable evidence. This is the point I'm trying to make.
    I don't think many of the posters here are the type you are referring to. Can you name one? Because, if I recall correctly they are in a very slim minority. I get your point, most of us here do, the question is who exactly is it aimed at?

I'd have to disagree. I believe many scientists spend more time trying to prove their theories correct than they do trying to prove another person's theories wrong. It's only once in a while that a scientist will question a widely held belief in a theory that progress is made. Many theories are taken as the gospel truth and they stay that way until someone comes along and see that theory from a different perspective.
    Almost hit the nail on the head here. Very often science advances only when the older generation have died off. They tend to be ones that cling to their theories. I don't mean to sound morbid, but in if I can find it, there's an hilariously funny article on newscientist about this. Gave me a right auld chuckle. Yep, for 300 years the majority of the physics community thought Newtons's way was THE way. The important thing here to remember though, is that for every actual Galileo the world gets we also get 10,000,0000 wannabees. Very often, theories proposed years ago in the past that were dismissed due to lack of evidence or acceptance - plate tectonics for example- reemerge when new evidence comes to light, or when gaps in a current theory start emerging at an alarming rate. The problem is most of the time most of the "theories" that are dismissed are utter nonsense. Have you read a Brief History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson? I cannot recommend it highly enough.
    My argument is that the atheists on these boards, and many others, will dismiss any evidence that just doesn't make sense to them without giving that evidence a fair hearing. This has already been proven in this thread. My theory is scientifically sound, though it may be improbable, and I've been attacked by nearly every atheist poster here without being given the benefit of the doubt. This is my problem, you see?

I don't mean to sound arrogant here, but I fear I'll probably come across as being arrogant. You need to understand that many atheists here have seen the arguments used again and again and again and again - it just get's old. They tend to have an understanding of things such as logical fallacies, cognitive dissonances etc. You, being the newbie, have a lot to learn. I can almost guarantee that if you stick around here and read the Christianity forum you'll learn a lot more about stuff. Boards helped open my mind to stuff that I was downright ignorant of. Stick around, but you have to understand that your evidence regarding pyramids was so full of holes that most people here didn't know where to begin. I suggest you subscribe to this podcast. :)
    Atheists are so hostile to those that have faith, yet they don't realize that many of their scientific theories are based on the faith of our limited knowledge of the universe.

Many people tend to mistake religious criticism as hostility towards that religion. Don't get me wrong some atheists are hostile towards religion, but many aren't. Religions, in my view, are open to criticism just like politicians are. I don't think you understand the concept of religious "faith" though. Faith in science is faith in skepticism, falsifiablity and the possiblity of something and maybe everything you know being wrong. Faith in religion is essentially faith in being correct and everyone else being wrong. As Terry Pratchett once said:
    "The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

....some imaginary being in space....

Why would you do that? You are SO demeaning. You dont give the evidence for an 'imaginary being in space' a chance. You just have your own pre-conceived ideas of whether thre is an 'imaginary being in space' and nothing will ever change your mind. You are so mean. Boo hoo. Blah.....blah....blah.

I hope you can recognise that this is exactly what you have been doing for the past 400 posts or so.

Eh, what argument has anyone put forward to disprove my theory on extraterrestrial life? That's correct, no argument whatsoever. Constantly demanding evidence of something is not an argument now is it?

I'm more than willing to have an intelligent discussion with someone who can provide a rational argument as to why they do not believe my theory is sound. I have yet to see a single one.

Let me start you off: I do not believe your theory that ETs came to Earth and created human beings because:

And keep in mind that the accepted theory of human evolution still has holes in it so can't be used as definitive evidence. I have arguments against the theory of human evolution if you wish to discuss that.

drkpower wrote: »
    Why would you do that? You are SO demeaning. You dont give the evidence for an 'imaginary being in space' a chance. You just have your own pre-conceived ideas of whether thre is an 'imaginary being in space' and nothing will ever change your mind. You are so mean. Boo hoo. Blah.....blah....blah.

Actually, if you've been paying attention, I give the possibility of a god a lot of consideration as I believe there is some evidence of it's existence. Just not enough evidence for me to say with 100% accuracy that there is or there is not.

Wanna try again and this time without the childish attitude?

Actually, if you've been paying attention, I give the possibility of a god a lot of consideration as I believe there is some evidence of it's existence. Just not enough evidence for me to say with 100% accuracy that there is or there is not.

Wanna try again and this time without the childish attitude?

You call it 'imaginary'; how is that considering the possibility? You are so arrogant; you are so close-minded.....blah blah blah.

God, if he does exist, gave us free will. Why do people always accuse God of letting these things happen? It's the most ridiculous, childish argument I've ever heard an atheist mutter. We allow these horrible things to happen, not some imaginary being in space.

Well, you see here is the thing, God has willingly declared by His Word the murder of millions of people in the bible. These were acts of the LORD himself. Now as for free will, introducing Non Stamp Collector.

• Advertisement

You call it 'imaginary'; how is that considering the possibility? You are so arrogant; you are so close-minded.....blah blah blah.

I believe the God of the Abrahamic religions is imaginary. This is the God that you atheists seem to have such a problem with. I've already stated this in a previous post.

Strike two, wanna try for another?

I believe the God of the Abrahamic religions is imaginary. This is the God that you atheists seem to have such a problem with. I've already stated this in a previous post.

Strike two, wanna try for another?

Why do you call it imaginary? Milllions and millions of people believe it. And there are eminemt theologians who believe in it. Why do you give their views no credence and demean them by callling their God 'imaginary'.

Why are you so mean? Why are you so arrogant blah blah blah

Group thinks are an extremely common aspect of human nature. I would tend to argue that, on average, skeptics are the least prone to groupthinks. Though, I admit, this is mostly from personal experience. I may be wrong. The problem is we're a competitive bunch, very few folks like to lose an argument and always see themselves as right. They usually resort to putting the goalpost on warp drive before admitting their argument was incorrect.
    Again, I'd say this falls more heavily on the ideological sides. One reason why I prefer ascribing the term freethinkers to many posters here, including myself.

I won't respond to your entire post as I agree with most of it to some extent. I'd just like to point out how I got into this whole argument about my beliefs. If you go all the way back to page 4 you'll see:
    Well that's not really fair now is it? You either believe in God or you believe there is no God. You can't just change your mind. Maybe you're not an atheist, but an agnostic like me. Come, join uuuusss.....jooinn uuussssss. :D

And I believe in evolution too, I just don't believe humans evolved like the rest of the animals on the planet. *cough*aliens*cough*genetic engineering*cough*

A fairly innocent comment at the end of my post. Then on page 5:
    Wow, demonspawn just read your last post (genetic engineering) - that's freaky!
    You've alot of the same views as me, some of your posts could be me talking!

In fact I don't think anyone's really had the same view as me before.

Do you think it's so hard sometimes to get people to see outside the box of religion/atheism?

Then:
    Err, I think (and hope) he was joking.

Which leads to page after page of me having to defend my belief against a mob of people who never entertained the possibility of my theory having some bit of truth to it. This is why I'm pissed off at a few people on this forum. They are willfully ignorant despite their claim to be open-minded freethinkers as you put it.

And keep in mind that the accepted theory of human evolution still has holes in it so can't be used as definitive evidence. I have arguments against the theory of human evolution if you wish to discuss that.

Look up, look down, (sorry I love the old spice ad) see that quote in my sig by Colin. He's a palaeontologist who doesn't fully agree with the modern understanding of the fossil record. Yet he doesn't just jump to a creationist line of thinking. They are tonnes of scientists who disagree with accepted theories. The vast majority of these folks acknowledge that their own theories have problems and, unlike pseudo scientists, they don't tend to cry out that they're being censored or ignored. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
    Eh, what argument has anyone put forward to disprove my theory on extraterrestrial life? That's correct, no argument whatsoever. Constantly demanding evidence of something is not an argument now is it?
    I think it is highly probable that aliens exist. I think is it highly improbably that the Jack O Neil ones that built Atlantis exist.
    Let me start you off: I do not believe your theory that ETs came to Earth and created human beings because:
    That is moving the goalpost back one step. The idea of panspermia is plausible, but we then are left with the huge problem of where the aliens came from, how they evolved (or didn't?) and how they got to earth? Ockams razor would imply that we should use the simplest solution i.e life arose on earth spontaneously from the materials that coalesced when the planet originally formed.

demonspawn, let me be clear on this.

If you continue to make blanket insults about the users of this forum, I will ban you. You've been entertained far more than your posts deserve, and you still haven't grasped what an atheist is.

Why do you call it imaginary? Milllions and millions of people believe it. And there are eminemt theologians who believe in it. Why do you give their views no credence and demean them by callling their God 'imaginary'.

Why are you so mean? Why are you so arrogant blah blah blah

I was raised Roman Catholic so I've obviously given their views quite a bit of credence. I became an atheist at around the age of 13-14 because Catholicism (and Christianity, Judaism, and Islam by default) just no longer made sense to me.

Strike three and you're outta here!! Enjoy your stay on my ignore list along with Zillah and the other immature posters on this forum.

Atheism is not really about what science has proven but about what those who claim religious truths have not.

I don't need to believe in anything to reject religion, I just need to be unconvinced by any of the arguments put forward by believers - in the same way you are unconvinced by the Abrahamic God(s).

Regarding your "evidence" of aliens, the onus is not on us to disprove your theories as soon as you post YouTube videos. If you could link to papers or articles in recognised, peer-reviewed publications, then that evidence would be worthy of examination.

The fact that your evidence comes by way of a free video sharing site, open - and used - by every nutjob on the planet doesn't really fill any of us with confidence.

Dades wrote: »
    demonspawn, let me be clear on this.

If you continue to make blanket insults about the users of this forum, I will ban you. You've been entertained far more than your posts deserve, and you still haven't grasped what an atheist is.

Sorry? I've been insulted numerous times and my beliefs mocked by a number of posters on this forum. Atheists here make blanket insults to anyone who has faith in God. If you want to be hypocritical that's fine by me, but if you publicly threaten to ban me again for expressing my views we can take it to the help desk. Here's the thread I've already started regarding "god mods" if you'd like to take it there.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056013071

Otherwise, keep the threats of bans to yourself or send me a polite PM informing me of any rules I may be breaking. I don't respond well to idle threats.

Edit: I started this thread, I'm the only one with an opposing view and I'm trying to express that view. If you don't like the discussion nobody is forcing you, or anyone else, to respond.

Look up, look down, (sorry I love the old spice ad) see that quote in my sig by Colin. He's a palaeontologist who doesn't fully agree with the modern understanding of the fossil record. Yet he doesn't just jump to a creationist line of thinking. They are tonnes of scientists who disagree with accepted theories. The vast majority of these folks acknowledge that their own theories have problems and, unlike pseudo scientists, they don't tend to cry out that they're being censored or ignored. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

I agree absolutely, but I don't believe my claim to be so extraordinary. It's very possible that a much more intelligent form of life exists in our galaxy. It's very possible that they've discovered a mean of space travel that allows them to cover vast distances in a short amount of time. It's possible that they've found out little planet with it's vast amount of life and resources and decided it's worth sticking around to see who things progress. It's possible that they decided to conduct a little experiment and created us, much like humans have bred dogs for hundreds of thousands of years.

Scientifically, my theory is sound. It may not be probable but it did not warrant the attacks I've received on this thread.

• Advertisement

I agree absolutely, but I don't believe my claim to be so extraordinary. It's very possible that a much more intelligent form of life exists in our galaxy. It's very possible that they've discovered a mean of space travel that allows them to cover vast distances in a short amount of time. It's possible that they've found out little planet with it's vast amount of life and resources and decided it's worth sticking around to see who things progress. It's possible that they decided to conduct a little experiment and created us, much like humans have bred dogs for hundreds of thousands of years.

Scientifically, my theory is sound. It may not be probable but it did not warrant the attacks I've received on this thread.

I hope you don't mind the slight digression for a moment.

In a room of 23 people, how likely is it that any two people will share the same birthday? Just give us a ballpark figure please - doesn't need to be exact.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement