Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basketball World Cup. Who will win?

Options
  • 02-09-2010 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Who do you think will win FIBA world cup? I think USA , Lithuania or maybe Turkey. USA and Lithuania will be in top 3 I think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

As of now USA and Spain are a level ahead of the rest. Obviously USA are favourites. A couple teams who could surprise are Argentina (although I'm not sure if you could call them a surprise team), Serbia and Brazil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lil_missy

moneyman wrote: »
    As of now USA and Spain are a level ahead of the rest. Obviously USA are favourites. A couple teams who could surprise are Argentina (although I'm not sure if you could call them a surprise team), Serbia and Brazil.

USA - yes. But Spain is not playing well without Gasol, their second in group D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 truksas

Lithuania gona win the cup :) i hope...

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Anyone see Teodosic's 3pointer to beat Spain? One word - WOW.

More than one word - if you shoot from THERE with 3 seconds left you better make the shot.

Just back from 10 days in the States. The FIBA World Cup is on ESPN3 and barely gets a mention on any of the other (more mainstream) ESPN channels. It's college football this and college football that and some NFL too. Commentators were bitching big time about the refs being anti-US (they weren't, they were bad both ways) and kinda complaining that that the Russians were being unsporting by doing such things as passing the ball and playing defence and playing a team game!

Only got to see one full game as the timings were pretty crap (I was on the West Coast). Kevin Durant was pretty spectacular; one play in particular where he drove left baseline, went up with his right hand, switched to his left, (in fairness) got CLOBBERED and made the bucket with no call (cue ref comments again from ESPN). What was impressive was how he worked so hard for his baskets - it wasn't like he scored 15 layups. Russians were pretty impressive too for about 30mins, first half and last quarter though they collapsed in the 3rd and it was game over. Some great team work, passing, pick and rolls, great outside shooting from the big men etc. - nice, basic, fundamentally sound European Basketball. Yanks didn't like it for long periods. Not convinced they're going to win it all. They're the most athletic team for sure, but Durant apart, they're not shooting well and rely on their athleticism a little too much. Lithuania will cause them problems in the semi but ultimately the US will win; but Turkey at home in the final will be the big test.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

Serbia and Spain was an amazing game. Teodosic has got some balls on him :p

USA are obviously the favourites, Derrick Rose is a class player. However, after what Lithunia did to Argentina, it could be some match-up if those two meet up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Lirange

Serbia got jobbed by the refs against Turkey. Definitely some home cooked decisions there. A few calls here and there are usually expected in sports with home advantage but it was a little bit much. Although the faked injury at the end there is unfortunately something that even good referees can do little to stop given the rules. FIBA seems to have the same issues with the quality of refs as FIFA. The Turks have some great players but if this game takes place anywhere but Turkey Serbia win that comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Just watched it - the wonders of jet lag that keeps you wide awake at ridiculous hours. :(

Agree to a point and certainly on the "injury" to sub in a better free throw shooter. Sanctions? You could ban him next game or after the event (think Leinster - Harlequins in rugby). Or FIBA could introduce a Technical Foul on the bench if they believe there's a con going on - hard to prove I know but you have to start somewhere.

As for the refereeing? It's a home game for Turkey and with 14,000 Turkish FANATICS/lunatics in the gym it'll be a strong ref who'll not give them something. I'm not saying it's right, but it's kinda human nature. Can you imagine the atmosphere in that gym if they lost? I've been to Euro Basket and Euro League games and it's always astonishingly intimidating for away teams - with Turkey and Greece being the best/worst depending on your viewpoint.

On the whole the refereeing has been poor but I think it's been poor both both ways (with maybe the exception of tonight's game). I guess it's hard though to have refs from countries that play at a certain standard ref the big teams - they simply wouldn't be used to the caliber of player or athlete (at least not on a regular basis) so mistakes will happen. The NBA doesn't exactly have a glowing reputation re. refs in recent years and that's the best league in the world so it's hard to crticize a guy who refs in Poland or Lithuania for doing his best but still making bad calls when he gets big games. I don't think they set out to shaft Serbia but I don't think they harmed Turkey - if that makes sense?

Just my opinion.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

USA USA USA

:pac:

Advertisement