Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New harddrive for Dell 640m laptop

Options
  • 02-09-2010 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Can anyone talk me through the process of upgrading my laptop harddrive?
    I have a Dell 640m thats a few years old but its still going strong. The 80GB capacity just isnt enough now and I'd like to upgrade it without buying a new laptop.

I know I need to open the machine and check what type of drive it is, but beyond that does anyone one have tips on where to buy it online? Also is there any reason why I couldnt get say a 250GB HD? I know theres a limit to the amount of RAM it can take for example.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I've picked this one out..

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfullft.asp?productcode=MME2752414#spec

Its the same dimensions as my HD and is also SATA.

Hopefully its compatible? I'll go ahead and order tomorrow.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Trotter wrote: »
    I've picked this one out..

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfullft.asp?productcode=MME2752414#spec

Its the same dimensions as my HD and is also SATA.

Hopefully its compatible? I'll go ahead and order tomorrow.

There wont be a problem more than likely, some hard drive manufacturers make laptop drives slightly fatter than the norm but if dimensions match up you should be ok, once your sure its a SATA connector your laptop uses it shouldnt be a problem,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Just keep in mind that the 7200 RPM harddrives will use a little more power and generate more noise than the standard 5400/4200 RPM drives.

Are you going to clone your old drive or install the OS fresh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I'm going to install the OS fresh. I'll just back up everything to an external. I have discs for my software and anything else can be downloaded again. Fingers crossed it works out easy.

Advertisement