Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon 1000D Vs Nikon D3000

• 02-09-2010 5:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi,

I posted on here a few days ago as I'm looking for a camera for my new website design company. I got some feedback in relation to a few things and I appreciate that. Over the last few days I've narrowed my search down to 2 DSLR cameras. The Canon 1000D and the Nikon D3000. I'm looking for an entry level DSLR to take photos for clients. I called into two well known camera shops in Cork City to get a quote for the two cameras.

The Canon 1000D is €499.50 (This includes a 2GB card, case and a free Canon training Course). Warranty is 12 months.

The Nikon D3000 is €499.00 (This includes a 4GB card, case, €50 printing voucher in the shop and a free Nikon training Course). Warranty is 12 months which is extended to 24 months if I register the camera on the Nikon website after purchase.

So I'm looking for some advice. Which is better value for the money? I had a look at DP Review and the picture quality appears to be a little better with the Canon. However, the sales rep in the shop told me that the Nikon has an anti shake function which can be very useful. Also, a lot of my shots may be in low light. Also, is this Nikon lens the equivalent of Canon's 50mm lens?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Hi,

I posted on here a few days ago as I'm looking for a camera for my new website design company. I got some feedback in relation to a few things and I appreciate that. Over the last few days I've narrowed my search down to 2 DSLR cameras. The Canon 1000D and the Nikon D3000. I'm looking for an entry level DSLR to take photos for clients. I called into two well known camera shops in Cork City to get a quote for the two cameras.

The Canon 1000D is €499.50 (This includes a 2GB card, case and a free Canon training Course). Warranty is 12 months.

The Nikon D3000 is €499.00 (This includes a 4GB card, case, €50 printing voucher in the shop and a free Nikon training Course). Warranty is 12 months which is extended to 24 months if I register the camera on the Nikon website after purchase.

I would be inclined to go back and haggle for a better price. Both
    cameras are €419.99 in Argos.
    So I'm looking for some advice. Which is better value for the money? I had a look at DP Review and the picture quality appears to be a little better with the Canon

There isn't much to choose between them.
    However, the sales rep in the shop told me that the Nikon has an anti shake function which can be very useful.

Canon and Nikon put their anti-shake gizmo in the lens. AFAIK
    the standard 18-55mm kit lens for both of these cameras is
    not stabilised.
    Also, a lot of my shots may be in low light.

I don't know much about the Nikon lens, but the Canon 50mm f/1.8
    is very good in low light and great value at around €100.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

You will get plenty of advice around here, especially when it come to
    Canon vs Nikon:)

As you are in the web development game, you might regret
    buying a camera without the ability to record video. Maybe
    you should pay a little more for something like a Canon 500D,
    Nikon D5000 or Pentax K-x These cameras are around €480-620.
    The Pentax seems like a particularly good match for your needs.
    Good in low light and it does video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

The Nikon D3100 has just been announced, and it'd be worth waiting for that over the D3000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Lostinspace

Thanks. The Nikon D3100 is being released on Amazon.co.uk on Sept 27th. I might wait until then. They have a good pre-order offer where you get a free 4GB SD Card and system bag. Free shipping also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

D3100 will be a lot more expensive than the D3000. 687 euro with 18-55 lens. It's better spec than the D5000 too.

I got a D3000 with VR 18-55 lens for 355 in dixons in the airport - see here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056011388&highlight=nikon

Planning to get a couple more lenses and maybe upgrading the body in a year or so.

Oh, and check out www.kenrockwell.com before you buy anything - he does great reviews of equipment. Had I read his site I would have gone for the D5000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

What is a Nikon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,726 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

i picked up the d3000, got a mate to get it from the airport, 385 with the 18-55 and two batteries. it's a great camera, better specs than the 1000d too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

The Pentax K-X won a lot of 'Best entry level DSLR' reviews; look a bit into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I've had both and prefer the Canon to be honest. I found the pics from the nikon to be very saturated and the interface on the camera hard to manage. On the plus side it does have a higher ISO than the Canon and for flash photography it was slightly more balanced.

However the canon is lighter and smaller to hold and I found the controls more intuitive.

As others have said you should be able to both slightly cheaper if you shop around.

Just another note if its a lot of low light shots your doing then I'd go for the canon body only and get a sigma 17-50mm 2.8. Its what I use for a lot of gigs and found them great together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

stimpson wrote: »
    Oh, and check out www.kenrockwell.com before you buy anything - he does great reviews of equipment.

More like a site to avoid. The guy is a muppet of the highest order.

A quote from his site -

On my Nikons, I use Professional mode, the "P" setting

Someone should tell the guy that there is no "Professional mode" on any camera. There is, however, a Programme mode.

Both Canon and Nikon produce very good cameras. You won't go too far wrong no matter which one you pick.

Personally, I prefer Canon. I did use a Nikon for a while, but just didn't like the feel of it. I thought the Canon fitted me better and the controls were easier. But, to each their own.

Make sure though, before you buy, you hold each camera and see how it feels in your hands.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Paulw wrote: »

On my Nikons, I use Professional mode, the "P" setting

Someone should tell the guy that there is no "Professional mode" on any camera. There is, however, a Programme mode.
    :) Paul I think his tongue is firmly in his cheek calling it "Professional Mode".

• Advertisement

:) Paul I think his tongue is firmly in his cheek calling it "Professional Mode".

I would hope so, but he seems to do it in a number of pages.

"In Pro (P) mode, the camera does whatever it needs to to give the best shot it can. " :eek:

He's just someone who's advice I take with a very large pinch of salt. He seems to love all the auto functions on the Nikon, and doesn't seem to guide people to learn how to use their camera, and to experiment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I was looking into the nikon d3000 but decided that i know nothing about shutter speeds and iso so decided to go with a lumix fz38 (bridge) i hopw to take a potography course soon and next year might invest in a DSLR but at the moment im looking forward to opening my fz38, i read some might good reviews.

With many Canon cameras, when bought in Ireland, you get a free half day course in how to use your camera, with Digital Beginners.

Best of luck with your new camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Lostinspace

Well thanks for all the responses. I decided to invest in the Nikon D3100 afterall on Amazon. It comes with a free bag and 4GB card. 14.2mp which is quite good. Looking forward to it now but won't be here for another 3 weeks or so. I'll let you know how it goes

Advertisement