Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual pitch sound from MB when PC is off

Options
  • 02-09-2010 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    I installed a Gigabyte X58 UD3R motherboard I recently got.

System works fine but...

When powered off the motherboard emits this low pitch sound.
    Making it even more interesting is if you plug a USB mouse / keyboard in / out of the back panel the pitch temporaily fluctuates.

I thought nothing of it but came back in the morning and man you can hear the pitch half way across the room (through the PC case) so it seems to increase overtime?

Adding more to the mystery is you can stop the pitch by turning off the powersupply / yanking out the power cable when the PC is off. Flick it back on and turn on the PC and its not there but as soon as you do a shutdown soft / hard the pitch starts.

The powersupply is a good one a Corsair AX850. Tried the unit with an ASUS motherboard and it was fine on shutdown.

Guess I should RMA the board?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Probably. Sounds to me like a capacitor or other component on the mobo's +5VSB (on/off) system is dying prematurely :o

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Carne

Unfortunately it looks like you suffer from the common problem most people have with these motherboards.

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,1426.0.html

Geez, are Gigabyte trying to head back to The Bad Old Days like Asus are?! :eek::mad:

As far as I know Asus boards also suffer from this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Thanks for the input guys.

Like I said its very strange, its fine when the PC is actually on but come shutdown (unless you turn the PSU or yank the power cable) that pitch starts.

My ASUS board is fine both live and when shutdown.

Oh well off to RMA it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Going to opt for a refund instead of a replacment as one of the guys in that thread tried the replacement thing twice with no joy:eek:.

Any recommendations for an i7 X58 motherboard?
    Looking to do a moderate overclock.
    So.. rock solid, stable motherboard (i.e. no damnable pitch / buzz noise!) with some moderate overclock potential.

I have a Gigabyte X58a UD3R (rev 1.0) board and don't suffer from the squeaks but I suppose I'm just lucky. I think Gigabyte have a rev 3.0 model due for release soon but you are probably better off getting a different board in the long run.

I've heard good things about the Asus P6X58D-E, it's about the same price as your gigabyte board but imo isn't as good value for money as it has no floppy connector or e-sata and has fewer usb ports. But not everyone needs all those anyways.

No love for MSI? :p

MSI is teh EVIL!!!! :mad:;)

*whacks Carne over the head with Teh BanHammer* :p

*giggles* :D

*runs off* :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement