Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling Dublin to Belfast

• 02-09-2010 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hello!
    I have a plan to cycle to Belfast from Dublin.
    but it is my first time in Ireland to Cycle for long time so i don't know exactly which way is the best.
    and I'll bring a tent and a sleeping bag for overnighting in country side.
    I think i'll cycle to belfast from dublin for 2days and then i wish to stay in belfast for a day for cycling cave hill or/and lagan towpath(are these possible by bicycle?)after then i will come back to dublin for 2days
    so just i wish to know which route is the best route to cycle to Belfast and which area is good place to overnight. and if i can i want to come back to dublin along another route

Please let me know about my question.

and maybe i will cycle to belfast 2weeks later(mon-friday) so whoever if want to cycle with me i want go to there with them

thanks and HELP ME! ^^smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

well you could just follow the coast skerries to balbriggan to drogheda to dundalk go the coast road from drogheda when you reach dundalk head for carlingfort spend the night there lovely place then plot a route from there;)
    were are you from just curious what age group are you in i don,t want to cycle with a teenager give us a bit more info please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ultravoner

well you could just follow the coast skerries to balbriggan to drogheda to dundalk go the coast road from drogheda when you reach dundalk head for carlingfort spend the night there lovely place then plot a route from there;)
    were are you from just curious what age group are you in i don,t want to cycle with a teenager give us a bit more info please.

Thanks for your information it will help me exactly! thank a lot
    Yes, of course i'm not teenager ^^ 24 years old and i'm studying at the moment and i live in Dun Laoghaire
    i'll cycle to belfast alone yet because my friends told me i'm crazy^^ but it is my challenge and just travel! but it is better to cycle with someone who like cycling
    and.. more informaiton is...
    Yeah i have the hardtail bike and have long journey by bicycle in another country(one of them is 450km and another one is 200km)
    do you have any plans to cycle? if you don't mind could i join your group? next time
    thanks!

UltraVoner i really don't have any plans to cycle to belfast ,i live in drogheda so i would know the route i mentioned cycled it many times,the reason i asked about your age, you young guns like speed. i'm gone by that stage now i like to smell the roses;)
    if you gave me some idea when you intend to make the trip if i'm available i would meet you show you the way to carlinfort.
    mind you if you put your mind to it you could make belfast in a day easy it's around 100 miles from dublin just give yourself loads of time to do the trip you will be fine.

UltraVoner i really don't have any plans to cycle to belfast ,i live in drogheda so i would know the route i mentioned cycled it many times,the reason i asked about your age, you young guns like speed. i'm gone by that stage now i like to smell the roses;)
    if you gave me some idea when you intend to make the trip if i'm available i would meet you show you the way to carlinfort.
    mind you if you put your mind to it you could make belfast in a day easy it's around 100 miles from dublin just give yourself loads of time to do the trip you will be fine.
    Hello!
    Finally I got a plan. I'm going to start on next monday morning from Dublin.
    Yes, I want to get advise if you can!
    I think I can arrive near your town before evening on monday.
    Please let me know if you can meet me.
    Thanks!

what time will you be leaving Dublin at ,if early enough you should be in Drogheda well before lunchtime say 12 or1 o clock ,what's your plan from Drogheda do you intend to try and get to Dundalk or Carlinfort before night.
    i'll do my best to ride some of the way with you if i have nothing on hope you understand.;)

• Advertisement

what time will you be leaving Dublin at ,if early enough you should be in Drogheda well before lunchtime say 12 or1 o clock ,what's your plan from Drogheda do you intend to try and get to Dundalk or Carlinfort before night.
    i'll do my best to ride some of the way with you if i have nothing on hope you understand.;)
    Thanks your reply.
    Just I wish to get your advice in Drogheda ^^ and..
    It depend on weather.
    If weather will be good I will overnight in Dundalk otherwise I will cycle to Belfast as near as possible. after then when i come back to Dublin I will overnight in Dundalk.
    Um.. yes. I think I can go to Drogheda before 1pm but not sure because I have 2 problems^^ one of them is I have to buy something in Dublin city centre but It is not important to buy them It will not spend many time. another one is It is first time in Ireland to cycle for long distance. so If I lose the road It will be delayed.

ultravinoa,
    sorry for the late reply,yeah hopefully if the weather is good i could meet you in drogheda you should make belfast in a day no problem, give yourself around 10 hours just to be on the safe side .make sure you take wet gear loads food and water.front and rear lights and a map.
    i have a map of belfast city you can have.

ultravinoa,
    sorry for the late reply,yeah hopefully if the weather is good i could meet you in drogheda you should make belfast in a day no problem, give yourself around 10 hours just to be on the safe side .make sure you take wet gear loads food and water.front and rear lights and a map.
    i have a map of belfast city you can have.
    Thanks for your replay.
    where do I have to go to meet you in drogheda.
    I think I will arrive in drogheda between 2pm and 3pm.
    And arleady I prepare lights, a map, some food! thanks!
    maybe I can't check your reply. so If you don't mind please text messsage
    +00353862215786 about meeting you in there
    Thanks a mil!

well met up with ultravoner this morning i had arranged to meet him in drogheda but i decided i would cycle to dublin meet him there big mistake. The other side of balbriggan i got a text from him saying he was heading into duleek:mad: other side of the country so i had to race back to drogheda to meet up which i did, cycled to castlebelligham with him in some serious wind:D
    at this moment i think he's wild camping in the woods near newry he should make belfast tomorrow i wish him luck one nice chap from south koria at college here learning english mind you he found it hard to understand my droghrda accent but so do most people.:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

Did this cycle last year on my own. Took about 8hrs. The old N1 is great for cycling.

• Advertisement

well met up with ultravoner this morning i had arranged to meet him in drogheda but i decided i would cycle to dublin meet him there big mistake. The other side of balbriggan i got a text from him saying he was heading into duleek:mad: other side of the country so i had to race back to drogheda to meet up which i did, cycled to castlebelligham with him in some serious wind:D
    at this moment i think he's wild camping in the woods near newry he should make belfast tomorrow i wish him luck one nice chap from south koria at college here learning english mind you he found it hard to understand my droghrda accent but so do most people.:D:D
    Hi. feck sake lads
    Sorry for late reply because I worked during last weekend and i needed time to take a rest ^^
    It was so great journey for me because It was first challenge in Ireland.
    And I really appreciate you to help me during my journey.
    I think It is very excting to cycle from dublin to belfast and come back to dublin.
    I had enjoyed good scenery while i cycled. It was so fantastic.
    But I was afraid of sleeping alone in forest because one day of camps some drunken
    people visited my tend and bother me TT and another day strange cat bothered me so I couldn't sleep well. but last day I stayed in B&B near Drogheda as cheap price for feck sake lads helping.
    Totally It was great cycling.
    Maybe next time I will cycle to Wicklow mountain before getting cold so I have to have a plan as soon as possible.
    thanks.

mgmt wrote: »
    Did this cycle last year on my own. Took about 8hrs. The old N1 is great for cycling.
    8hrs?? So great!! you have stronger legs. I needed time to get Belfast almost 10hrs.
    And I think so about N1 It is good route to cycle. when I came back to Dublin I cycled on N1 and Newry canal Cyclist and walker path. I think It was the best route during my cycling because of safe and enjoying good scenery.

If you have a plan to cycle for long journey Please let me know
    Thanks

Advertisement