Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help: No money to get to new job

• 02-09-2010 8:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭GeneticDeviant

I live in the south but was offered a job in the north and meant to start monday. it means going a month before i get paid. How am i meant to be able to afford 50euro a week to travel to work? Im currently claiming Job seekers benfit and have been unemployed for over a year. Was unable to find a job in my own town so have no choice but to travel further afield. I have no money just to get to work. Is there any kind of help i can get? I understand the "back to work allowance" has been scrapped.

Please advise, thanks. Think its very sad when somebody cant afford to go to work but thats where i am right now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I was in a similar situation recently. Do you have someone you could borrow some cash off and pay back when you get your first pay cheque?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are you not getting any dole or job seekers, can you delay telling them for a week or 2 that your starting work, you'll have to pay them back when they find out, is there nobody in your family can help you for a week or 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭GeneticDeviant

Theres no one i can borrow money from im afraid.

yes im getting benefit now but I dont like the idea of getting benefit by not being honest. Guess honesty really doesnt pay these days huh?. Do people really do that as regulary as that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

could you go to the community welfare officer and ask for some money? They have a discretionary fund for things like washing machines and other stuff

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Thuck_Fat

What is the total distance from your home to your workplace? Because if it's 20k or less you could easily cycle. I used to cycle 20k every morning into work and it took me only 30 mins or less. Used to beat the bus actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Are you not getting any dole or job seekers, can you delay telling them for a week or 2 that your starting work, you'll have to pay them back when they find out, is there nobody in your family can help you for a week or 2?

Please do not condone such behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Don't buy the car - use the money for the job instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I'm in the same situation myself. I went into the bank and they agreed to defer my loan repayments for a month. Had a chat with my new employer as well and explained the situation so they have agreed to give me a little bit to tide me over to pay for expenses and will deduct it from my first pay. Have a chat with them sometime in your first week there and explain your circumstances. Other than than try to beg, borrow or steal it from somewhere. I was seriously considering packing up my belongings and sending them off to the car boot sale :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sealgaire

Thuck_Fat wrote: »
    What is the total distance from your home to your workplace? Because if it's 20k or less you could easily cycle. I used to cycle 20k every morning into work and it took me only 30 mins or less. Used to beat the bus actually.

Ah come on . ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Please advise, thanks. Think its very sad when somebody cant afford to go to work but thats where i am right now.

My god.. that's a bad attitude.

A few years ago I found a job but didn't start it for 2 months and was well and truly broke (I didn't qualify for the dole and had a wee bit on my credit card from living expenses). I went to the bank with my contract of employment and they put a €500 overdraft on my account.

Another option is to ask you employer for an advance. Not very pleasant but they might understand.

And of course, if you are really stuck there's always the health board or SVP.

sealgaire wrote: »
    Ah come on . ..

I think Thuck_Fat has a point. Because when I started work (in October 2007) I ended up cycling 10km to work. If the weather was particularly bad I called a family member for a lift, or tried to get a lift into town with a workmate.

• Advertisement

Maybe you could tell the dole people who might let you receive payments for the month then pay them back after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

I live in the south but was offered a job in the north
    Thuck_Fat wrote: »

Cycling wouldn't really be realistic...

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭daithi09

well 20km is doable. just started cycling from leixlip to kevin st., just over 20km, although it's taking me the guts of an hour.. Not a chance of me doing it in half an hour but maybe I'm just not very fit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭Low Energy Eng

raveni wrote: »
    Cycling wouldn't really be realistic...

Why not?!

daithi09 wrote: »
    well 20km is doable. just started cycling from leixlip to kevin st., just over 20km, although it's taking me the guts of an hour.. Not a chance of me doing it in half an hour but maybe I'm just not very fit...
    Why not?!

20km would be fine to cycle (if you were fit enough anyway) but the OP said they live in the south and got the job in the north...last time I checked thats more than 20k from the south...or am I missing something here?confused.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

I really think that if you went to your bank and asked for an overdraft that they would help out. I had a bit of a financial fright lately (giant unexpected bill!) and my bank sorted me out within a day or so.
    You have a job, you'll be expecting money in a month, so you'll be able to pay the bank back.
    Most employers would also be willing to give you a sub on your wages.

Just try not to go mad spending future money, or you'll be in the same position in a month. :pac:

Congrats on the new job btw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

20km would be fine to cycle (if you were fit enough anyway) but the OP said they live in the south and got the job in the north...last time I checked thats more than 20k from the south...or am I missing something here?confused.gif

It depends on where OP lives in the South and where his job is in the North. You might be more than 20km from North, doesn't mean everyone else is :D, There might be only 3/4 km from OPs house to new job.

I'd say the best bet is to talk to your employer about a small advance, and if you're in good(ish) standing with your bank try and get a small overdraft (not too big, as you will have to pay it back).

Or how about your local credit union? If you're a member there, they'll give you a loan, It can be almost guaranteed it in circumstances like yours.

Good luck with the new job, hope it all works out for you.

TheQ47 wrote: »
    It depends on where OP lives in the South and where his job is in the North. You might be more than 20km from North, doesn't mean everyone else is :D, There might be only 3/4 km from OPs house to new job.

I'd say the best bet is to talk to your employer about a small advance, and if you're in good(ish) standing with your bank try and get a small overdraft (not too big, as you will have to pay it back).

Or how about your local credit union? If you're a member there, they'll give you a loan, It can be almost guaranteed it in circumstances like yours.

Good luck with the new job, hope it all works out for you.

Ok I really think I've missed something, are we talking from the south of cork to the north of cork or what??:confused: I took "the north" to mean northern Ireland, unless you know some kind of ridiculous shortcut verging on a warp, it is more than 20km wherever you live in the south to NI...aghh nevermind...but of course if you lived near enough to your job why not; cycle, cycle, cycle!!:P
    Also, +1 on OP getting either an advance from the new employer or an overdraft from the bank, but preferably an overdraft, may not want to make the wrong impression on the new boss, though if they were halfway decent I'm sure they'd understand...good luck with it.

Edit: Aahaha *facepalm* I see now, ye meant the south as in the whole of the republic...damn I thought ye meant the southsouth like Munster:rolleyes: *sigh* sure maybe they could cycle. I was actually thinking anyway what the hell, what bus does the OP get that would cost only 50 euro a week to the north from Munster...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I think the OP is refering to North and South of the Liffey :D

Nope I'm wrong! Having just looked at the OP's other posts it's north and south of the Derry/Donegal Border :P

Public transport may not be an option then depending on where they are! Cycling certainly wouldn't be either if it involves having to cycle to work on the infamous most dangerous road in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

Edit: Aahaha *facepalm* I see now, ye meant the south as in the whole of the republic...damn I thought ye meant the southsouth like Munster:rolleyes: *sigh* sure maybe they could cycle. I was actually thinking anyway what the hell, what bus does the OP get that would cost only 50 euro a week to the north from Munster...:rolleyes:

The closer you get to the border while still in the Republic, more and more people would use the terms "The North" and "The South". I thought for a moment that you genuinely believed that no-one lived within 20km of the border. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭tasha200

Back to work allowance was re introduced as far as I am aware, go to citizens advice x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭vanla sighs

I live in the south but was offered a job in the north and meant to start monday. it means going a month before i get paid. How am i meant to be able to afford 50euro a week to travel to work? Im currently claiming Job seekers benfit and have been unemployed for over a year. Was unable to find a job in my own town so have no choice but to travel further afield. I have no money just to get to work. Is there any kind of help i can get? I understand the "back to work allowance" has been scrapped.

Go to your CWO and ask for an exceptional needs payment.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/supplementary-welfare-schemes/exceptional_needs_payments

Advertisement