Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Seekers Allowance while abroad

Options
  • 02-09-2010 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I will be leaving my job on the 1st October. I handed in my notice (I had no real choice but there is no point going into the reasons). I've been working 10 yrs now.

I will be going travelling after this. I believe it's possible to claime up to 13 weeks Job Seekers Allowance (if available for work) and you are in the EU.

1. What does 'if available for work' mean? If you are in Poland/England etc. and how can you be 'Available' for work???
    2. How can the welfare office know if your in Dublin 1 or in Tim buck two?

I've found it hard to find any information on this so any help would be grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

I think you have to be signing on for 9 weeks before you can get JSB abroad, you cannot get JSA allowance abroad as this is means

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

gustafo wrote: »
    I think you have to be signing on for 9 weeks before you can get JSB abroad, you cannot get JSA allowance abroad as this is means

How does the means testing work does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Jesper wrote: »
    How does the means testing work does anyone know?

If you have been working for 10 years you wont need to be means tested as you will have enough stamps paid to last you 1 year then after that you would be means tested, i'm just saying if your going abroad you have to be on the dole for 9 weeks then you can get it transferred to an EU country but you will have to have an address aleady there and you wont be able to move around as you will be seeking work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Loss of employment

You must have suffered a substantial loss of employment in any period of six consecutive days in order to be eligible for Jobseeker's Benefit. This means, you must have lost at least one day's employment and as a result of this loss be unemployed for at least 3 days out of 6 days. Your earnings must also have been reduced because of the loss of employment. You may be disqualified from getting Jobseeker's Benefit for 9 weeks if you:

* Left work voluntarily and without a reasonable cause
    * Lost your job through misconduct
    * Refused an offer of suitable alternative employment or suitable training
    * Are aged under 55 and get a redundancy payment of more than €50,000. The exact length of your disqualification (up to nine weeks) will in practice, depend on the precise amount of redundancy payment you received - see below.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/JobseekerSupports/jobseekersbenefit/Pages/jb.aspx

14. If I want to transfer my jobseeker's benefit to another country, what must I do?

* Go into your Social Welfare Local Office or Branch Office and ask to have your payment transferred
    * A person in receipt of Irish JB for at least 4 weeks may transfer the JB claim to a country covered by EC Regulations for up to 3 months (78 Days).
    * In exceptional circumstances, this period may be extended to 6 months. Applications for an extension should be made to the Social Welfare Local Office where you signed on.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Pages/jajbfaq.aspx#q14

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

You won't be able to travel as such as you'll have to sign on at the social welfare office in whatever country you go to, just the same as you have to sign on here. And while you will get paid Irish Jobseeker's Benefit you will still have to register in a social welfare office abroad. You'll also have to satisfy the criteria for jobseekers benefit in whatever country you go to e.g. actively looking for work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement