Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

As a mature student am I taking on too much?!

Options
  • 02-09-2010 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I've gotten a place as a mature student to do Arts, was excited about it but reality is starting to kick in, maybe folks can bear with me while I explain.

Each day my travel to and from university would be a 100km round trip (by bus) Depending on my subject choices I'd either have two 5.30am rises per week or would have to get up at 5.30am every day, Monday to Friday. When I got home I would have a maximum of three hours before I had to go to sleep. I might have to miss lots of tutorials because of my travel timetable etc. I would be unable to have any social life at uni again because of time constraints and travel etc. On top of that I suffer from depression and get a disability payment for that and recently my doctor (GP) said I also "may" have ADHD. Yeah, tell me about it. Could be much worse of course.

Now I'm thinking of deferring for a year and that'll give us (my wife and I) time to see if we can find a house to rent in the city that'll accept rent allowance and a dog (we've a little Yorkie we're very fond of and wouldn't consider giving her away or anything) Phoned up my uni and explained and they said I could defer but they'd need to know within 24 hours. So, what to do....go for it this year and hope it works even with the 100km daily round trip, very early getting up times etc or leave it for a year?!!! Any advice? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'd definitely defer and try and get a place nearer to the college for next year.

You'll miss out on spending time with your wife as well a study time. Plus you do need time to hang out with your classmates, whether its going out for drinks or just having a coffee after a long day and discussing classes.

Defer. You will enjoy college more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

if theyve said you can defer, i know i would, even if you didnt move closer it would give you time to get a car, id say that would knock off alot of the travel time and would be cheaper than moving house. i think otherwise youd wear yourself out as the year goes on and the workload builds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

That sounds like way too much to be taking on. Im doing a post grad at the minute and commuted all last year about 100km like yoursef. Difference was I didnt have too many hours and only had to travel maybe 3/4 days a week depending on tutorials.

Tutoials are as important if not moreso that the lectures so I wouldnt advise missing them. I often felt tired after 1.5-2 hours driving and that wasnt with early starts so getting up at 5.30 will probably leave you tired and not in the best state of mind to learn. On top of that your not leaving much time for study/assignments. Again if your on a tight travel schedule your not leaving yourself any time to talk to classmates & lecturers about assignmes ect which is very important and helpful.

If I were you I would defer for a year to give you some breathing space and possibly see if you could do the course parttime. Remember you do have a wife aswell! Your life and hers would probably very stressed if you tried to fit it all on your plate this year.Hope this was some small help to you. Best of luck in your studies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

It sounds like you already have your mind made up.

A long commute is always tricky but it can be useful to get your readings out of the way and to go through some course work, that way at least you can use the little time you do have at home relaxing.

You can also use time between tutorials and lectures to get what you need done too.

If you defer and aren't going to lose your place it may be the best thing to do though because if you set out feeling negative about it chances are these feelings will eat away at you.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Macaonbhuit

As a slightly different option; is public transport available?... If you could study while travelling, that may help, or even snoozing on a bus/train. I did my post grad part time (Fri/Sat) at a 100K from home as well as a 75K commute during the week. It was tough enough. The one thing I will say is though, semesters are only 12/13 weeks, so if you take it a semester at a time.... i.e. bitesize its not as daunting.. You could always do first year (with a little suffering) and move for second year. First year needs to be passed, but I'm not sure how much weight it has towards your overall result.. Also... if you are really going to enjoy the course, it may be more palatable to go ahead for first year.... Sorry no solutions... just some food for thought... Best of luck.... Either way I'm sure you'll be grand.. I'm quite jealous :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I agree with other posters that you seem to have a lot working against you right now and it might be better to defer - is there the possibility the uni would let you enrol p/t for Year 1 so you wouldn't have such a heavy workload/travel time? Usually colleges make an effort with the mature students (they know our lives are often more complicated!) so assuming you don't need to be f/t for any other reason it might be an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 swish10

Thanks to everyone for their replies, much appreciated - sometimes the best way to get things in context is to take a step and just ask others, strangers or not, what they think of a situation. Anyway, enough Dr.Phil crapola, lol.

There is another option that my wife and I have discussed, that being that I could move into the city Monday to Friday and come home at the weekends, seems a little extreme though? But we are quite happy where we're living now and given my track record on starting but not finishing courses we could move and then find in a few weeks or months time that yours truly has had enough of the course. And then we might be in some not so great house in the city.....compared to the nice house we currently haved in a small town. In Year 2 my timetable will change and I'll only be doing 2 subjects rather than the initial 4 in first year - so fingers crossed that'll be a better schedule for me.

We reckon it'd cost €1400/€1500 for 6 months in a houseshare and bills (that's October to March) April is a "study" month - no classes it seems and May is taken up more or less with exams. So, think 6 months of doing that might be ok? My wife is also a student at a different college in the city so it's not like we will see each other ONLY at the weekends. What d'ya think....a possibility or just crazy? Thanks.

Think I should probably defer, too complicated otherwise. Thanks again folks.

Actually I've decided to go for it, it is workable, not as easy as if I was living in the city but still workable, and it's not like I'll be attending every single lecture - I've never met a student who did that anyway. So, hopefully it'll all work out ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭December

I just replied to your other post on UCC and then saw your post here. I have to say I'm very happy you've decided to go for it! :D I saw the other replies, and as helpful as they were being (you're all wonderful guys XD) I was saying "nooo nooo NO!" They we're all looking at the practicalities and such. ;)

Ya see, I'm kinda in the same boat as you (with the depression, the husband, the long commute, not to mention no financial assistance and struggling with money), however I knew in my case that if I defered I would be tearing my hair out for the next year! I know how my illness can affect me and I know that after looking forward to this for a VERY long time that defering would flare up the depression and I would just spiral further down. And I expect it may be similar for you.
    So... I went with my heart - and I'm glad you did too. :)

Yes it'll be a struggle, but it'll be worth it!

On the practical side, if you can afford to house share for a few months too then I think that would help enormously.

Anyhoo I wish you the best of luck :D btw what subjects are you thinking of taking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭seithon

As someone that has done this.. It's not good.
    I did it and I managed to pass however it is not an experience to be repeated, I was lucky in that some of my lecturers knowing my situation would let me come in late and do work in my own time so it wasn't to bad.

still keep trying to find somewhere to crash nearer the collage during the week and perhaps bus up and down on the monday/friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bodger

Swish10, December,

It is fantastic that you both decided not to let circumstances get in your way. You can't really know the cost of this move without first making it. I am sure that even if it were extremely difficult you would manage while you found a means to alleviate the travel/time constraints.

I completed a BSC in IT with DCU via oscail this. (weekends and online) I didn't have to travel and thought it was a good option for me.

Life is short and you only get to live it once, you have to be bold and brave and I am glad to hear that you are.

I recently watched a talk given by Steve Jobs (Co-Founder of Apple) to Stanford university students, it was inspiring talk, empassioned plea to the students to stretch to meet their goals.

The video is available here

I recommend you to watch this whenever you feel unsure about the direction that you are taken.

Best of Luck

Shane
    www.blackrath.com www.twitter.com/blackrath

December wrote: »
    I just replied to your other post on UCC and then saw your post here. I have to say I'm very happy you've decided to go for it! :D I saw the other replies, and as helpful as they were being (you're all wonderful guys XD) I was saying "nooo nooo NO!" They we're all looking at the practicalities and such. ;)

Ya see, I'm kinda in the same boat as you (with the depression, the husband, the long commute, not to mention no financial assistance and struggling with money), however I knew in my case that if I defered I would be tearing my hair out for the next year! I know how my illness can affect me and I know that after looking forward to this for a VERY long time that defering would flare up the depression and I would just spiral further down. And I expect it may be similar for you.
    So... I went with my heart - and I'm glad you did too. :)

Yes it'll be a struggle, but it'll be worth it!

On the practical side, if you can afford to house share for a few months too then I think that would help enormously.

Anyhoo I wish you the best of luck :D btw what subjects are you thinking of taking?

Thanks for the moral support (and the info in the other thread by the way) :) Yes, should go for it - getting older not younger, I'll need that extra year later more than now, lol. Glad to hear you are going for it too rather than deferring, we never know until we try as the saying goes!

You asked what subjects I was going to do? Politics, Religions & Global Diversity, Celtic Civilisation and probably Sociology (was thinking of Geography as my fourth "filler" subject but took a look at it and don't think I'd have a clue what they'd be talking about) Would rather take European Studies, History or Folklore than Sociology or probably Celtic Civilisation but the times aren't good. So, have you decided what you're going to take? :) Are you also doing Arts?

I could get a room in a house in say Wilton or wherever, €180/€200 a month ex. bills. But it would be kind of weird for my wife to be here alone (except for our Yorkie!.....well, I hope only our dog anyway, lol) and for me to be in the city. But if things did get too hectic would have to consider it. It's there as an option of last resort so to speak.

Well, I really hope things go well for you too, it can't be easy especially not having any financial support. Thanks again and the best of luck at UCC! :)

bodger wrote: »
    Swish10, December,

It is fantastic that you both decided not to let circumstances get in your way. You can't really know the cost of this move without first making it. I am sure that even if it were extremely difficult you would manage while you found a means to alleviate the travel/time constraints.

I completed a BSC in IT with DCU via oscail this. (weekends and online) I didn't have to travel and thought it was a good option for me.

Life is short and you only get to live it once, you have to be bold and brave and I am glad to hear that you are.

I recently watched a talk given by Steve Jobs (Co-Founder of Apple) to Stanford university students, it was inspiring talk, empassioned plea to the students to stretch to meet their goals.

The video is available here

I recommend you to watch this whenever you feel unsure about the direction that you are taken.

Best of Luck

Shane
    www.blackrath.com www.twitter.com/blackrath

Thanks for that :) Yeah, I heard of oscail but it's a bit pricey I think. Great that you got your Bsc though, must have felt absolutely great getting it! Hopefully all going well UCC will be just fine :o

seithon wrote: »
    As someone that has done this.. It's not good.
    I did it and I managed to pass however it is not an experience to be repeated, I was lucky in that some of my lecturers knowing my situation would let me come in late and do work in my own time so it wasn't to bad.

still keep trying to find somewhere to crash nearer the collage during the week and perhaps bus up and down on the monday/friday

Yeah, I don't have any expectations that things will be easy but if I can get the head down and in the books, slightly problematic when ya don't like reading, lol - don't know why I'm giggling about it :o But if I can do that it should be ok. Guess I could inform tutors if it came to it or if I found myself struggling but wouldn't want the sympathy vote or whatever if you see what I mean or any possible sideways looks!

Getting a houseshare is possible but best avoided, too weird me living in Cork and my wife living somewhere else. But it's an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

swish10 wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't have any expectations that things will be easy but if I can get the head down and in the books, slightly problematic when ya don't like reading, lol - don't know why I'm giggling about it :o But if I can do that it should be ok. Guess I could inform tutors if it came to it or if I found myself struggling but wouldn't want the sympathy vote or whatever if you see what I mean or any possible sideways looks!

Getting a houseshare is possible but best avoided, too weird me living in Cork and my wife living somewhere else. But it's an option.

Dont worry about that, its what tutors are for and theyll fall over themselves to help you if you ask them ;) Fair play to you for goin for it after all.You seem pretty motivated for this so im sure youll make it work and do great. Most of your classes will probably have a few other mature students, probably in a similar situation to yourself so get chattin to em, you can pass notes and help each other out, this will help alot. In fact just talk to everyone lecturers, tutors other students ect, the colleges are very flexible and helpfull to non traditional students and youll have plenty of support between them and your classmates. Best of luck in UCC!

Dont worry about that, its what tutors are for and theyll fall over themselves to help you if you ask them ;) Fair play to you for goin for it after all.You seem pretty motivated for this so im sure youll make it work and do great. Most of your classes will probably have a few other mature students, probably in a similar situation to yourself so get chattin to em, you can pass notes and help each other out, this will help alot. In fact just talk to everyone lecturers, tutors other students ect, the colleges are very flexible and helpfull to non traditional students and youll have plenty of support between them and your classmates. Best of luck in UCC!

Thanks for the support :) Yeah, uni is hard for everyone (wouldn't be so just for me of course) but I guess it's also about time management and getting the head down in the books etc but also striking a balance between "work" and "play" - otherwise burn out in the first few months probably. Thanks.

Advertisement