Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Line

Options
  • 02-09-2010 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Can anyone here tell me what is the cheapest tackleshop in dublin for flyline?

I have 3 spools to fill so ill need wf floating, wf intermediate and wf sinking, as well as backing for all 3.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

Dryfly wrote: »

I have 3 spools to fill so ill need wf floating, wf intermediate and wf sinking, as well as backing for all 3.

I don't know which would be the cheapest but I would recommend that you don't buy a cheap line.I bought one once and threw it away after the first time I used it.Impossible to cast.I bought a dt 4wt hardy line in Ballina for 45 euro recently and it's great.You never mentioned what wt line you are looking for but I reckon you'll be spending 45 to 65 euro for each line.Try the net instead.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Dryfly

rtc wrote: »
    I don't know which would be the cheapest but I would recommend that you don't buy a cheap line.I bought one once and threw it away after the first time I used it.Impossible to cast.I bought a dt 4wt hardy line in Ballina for 45 euro recently and it's great.You never mentioned what wt line you are looking for but I reckon you'll be spending 45 to 65 euro for each line.Try the net instead.....
    Theyre actually not my spools, my brothers bdays coming up and i said id get them filled for him.
    "Cortland Fairplay Flyline" Anyone know if its any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Yep not bad, I have a 7wt one and its been going well for 2 years, they;re like 22 bucks in the states/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Dryfly

shblob wrote: »
    Yep not bad, I have a 7wt one and its been going well for 2 years, they;re like 22 bucks in the states/
    25 Quid here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭thedavman009

The Cortland Fairplay lines really are quite poor.

Historically I have always used Airflo sinkers and Shakespeare floaters but following a recent incident in which Airflo refused to replace a line which was suffering with excess memory (they tried to fob me off that I had put twist in it) I decided to try the below lines which I found to be excellent.

I have not tried fast sinker but the others in the range are spot on and going forward I shall be replacing all of my lines (10 in total) with these as and when lines need replacing. I cannot recommend these lines strongly enough and they are at a bargain price.

http://www.flyforums.co.uk/fly-fishing-tackle-classifieds-retailer-trade-sales/1161-pirates-castaway-fly-line-bonanza.html

• Advertisement

They're not the worst, obviously they're not the best either for 25 euro, I cant complain with my floater, lies straight and high in the water for me, maybe I was lucky?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭thedavman009

For less than €25, the PP lines are far far superior. I did not find that the Cortland line loaded the rod well, it displayed significant memory and did nopt carry a loop well.

Try the PP lines or a Shakespeare floater and you cannot but appreciate the many improvements.

The platinum lines aren't too bad either for the money, or the barrio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

Anyone know how you go about buying from this Pitsford Pirate guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

You can Pm him here www.flyforums.co.uk. Just do a search for pirate line

Great line op you could also try Barrio

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Does Airflo = Pitsford Pirate? (A friend in the tackle trade suggested that to me.)

I use Aircel/Wetcel and Cortland 444 myself.
    They cost more, but I replasticise lines during off season and do get 5 years+ so the cost of a good line is the least of my concerns, the value is what I get - better casting, nicer floating, longevity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

coolwings wrote: »
    Does Airflo = Pitsford Pirate? (A friend in the tackle trade suggested that to me.)

They cost more, but I replasticise lines during off season and do get 5 years+ so the cost of a good line is the least of my concerns, the value is what I get - better casting, nicer floating, longevity.

have to agree...look after a good quality line and it will last for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Rycn wrote: »
    Anyone know how you go about buying from this Pitsford Pirate guy?

I buy from him, he is a A+ seller and the lines are the best value for money you can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭DryFlyFishing

what type of fish are you after?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭deeperblue11

southside angling will sell you any cortland 444 line for forty euro. you wont get better than cortland. also why buy wf lines?? dt are easier to cast and can be turned around after a few years.
    tight lines.

have to agree...look after a good quality line and it will last for years.

i have a wet cell intermediate type 1 for the wets and have it for at least 8 years. great line. i like the 444 classic peach in floating, also a great line. if you mind them they will last.

coolwings wrote: »

what do you do to replasticise your lines?????

• Registered Users Posts: 12 audam

What ever you do dont buy an airflo floating line, ive seen airflo floaters sink better than teeny sinkers. Buy teeny online fantastic lines and not mad expensive.

Advertisement