Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Little help required..

• 02-09-2010 9:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭

Hello,

First post to this forum so go easy on me..

I have a D80 a few years and overall have been very happy but recently I noticed on a few batches of pics that some of them look very grainy and blues in particular look kinda over exposed.

I have the D80 set to Auto for everything yet I am still getting this. Same results in daylight and indoors. I have attached URL to a pic of my son's blue shirt and you will see what I am talking about. This is cut from a larger pic and enlarged. These were taken as JPEG fine on full 3872 x 2592 (10mp).

Any ideas on what may be happening as I really would be expecting better from a decent camera.

http://flic.kr/p/8xBMqm

Thanks for any help
    Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I have the D80 set to Auto for everything yet I am still getting this.
    Any ideas on what may be happening as I really would be expecting better from a decent camera.

Well ... auto is not a good place to be.

Your camera is using ISO 1600, so it's going to be grainy.

Your flash fired, quick shutter speed (1/100) and f/5.6.

But, the grain is definitely the ISO.

Try setting ISO 100, and take the same pict again. Low light is probably why it bumped up the ISO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Don't see anything wrong with the colour balance, but I'd bet your ISO got turned up somehow.

If the D80 is anything like my D70s, do the following: Look at the buttons to the left of the LCD screen. There should be one that says ISO. Hold that down and look at the small panel on the top where it shows the settings. It should have a number on it, ideally 100 (I think that's as low as the D80 can go), but it looks like it's been set much higher. Spin the control dial at your thumb until it is as low as it can go.

If you think the colour is off then it might be the white balance being turned off of automatic. There should be a WB button just beneath the ISO button, hold that down and spin the same control dial until it says "A".

If that doesn't fix it then I have no idea.

Using a D80 on fully automatic...I weep :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

The ISO is at 1600, which might explain the graininess - Even though its on auto, is there some setting that is doing that? If not, maybe something is wrong that is causing it to be stuck at that high level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Can't believe the speed of response!! - Thanks

This is all sounding familiar.... Doh!!

Was at Disneyland Paris last year and couldn't get decent shots from distance and friend told me to bump ISO up to 1600 - and just checked it!! AArrgh...

Not as auto as I thought.

My daughter started school on Tuesday and we got a great family shot that morning and it was that one that really put me on this path to figure out the issue.

Think that may have sorted it.

Thanks for all the boardies...:D:D:D

Will get a few more tomorrow and report back. Kids are all gone for the night now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

To change ISO setting on D80> go into menu> shooting menu>ISO sensitivity and then scroll to AUTO.
    Now try taking a photo and see the difference.
    I set my D80 to your settings and got a grainy photo.
    It seems you somehow changed the ISO setting to 1600.
    Hope this helps,
    John

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

What ^ they said.

The only thing I would change is that ISO 200 is the ideal setting for the D80.

Who knows, if you hang around here a bit more we could get you using that camera away from the Auto setting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Are you sure your pc monitor hasn't had it's rgb menu changed either?

Comparing old shots with new should be telling, I don't see a blue cast either. For test shots it would help a lot to use a sheet of white paper.

CabanSail wrote: »
    What ^ they said.

The only thing I would change is that ISO 200 is the ideal setting for the D80.

Who knows, if you hang around here a bit more we could get you using that camera away from the Auto setting.

Thanks All...

I indeed would really like to try get away from Auto and try out more things as it is a great camera and a waste to be running on default the whole time.

I set ISO back to Auto (You were all spot on in that it was fixed to 1600 so donuts for everyone:D)

Gonna get some of those ebooks out and start reading them..

My big intention now is to get the 50GB of photo's and start tagging and sorting so I can upload to flickr and share them out more to the family and friends.

Great forum and Thanks again for your help. Hope I can repay the favour soon!

Paddy

democrates wrote: »
    Are you sure your pc monitor hasn't had it's rgb menu changed either?

Comparing old shots with new should be telling, I don't see a blue cast either. For test shots it would help a lot to use a sheet of white paper.

I had same on my work laptop as I did on desktop.

Have taken a pic of the 3 kids this morning and all looking a lot better - have my new laptop background loaded ;)

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Thanks All...

I indeed would really like to try get away from Auto and try out more things as it is a great camera and a waste to be running on default the whole time.

Paddy

Paddy, there are lots of great tutorials on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2j6V8Qc_yM

• Advertisement
Advertisement