Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting neglect & abuse of a dog.

Options
  • 02-09-2010 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some advice. A friend of mine was telling me that her neighbours dog, a terrier cross, is being badly neglected. The owner of the dog is not feeding her, the dog has no water, she's riddled with fleas & worms.
    My friend said she rang ISPCA a few days ago but no one has come out yet.

What is the procedure when a complaint is made?
    How long does it take to remove a dog from that situation?
    I'm not sure if the person that took the complaint is fully understanding of how urgent this is so how do we make them realise?

From what I've been told the dog will be lucky if she survives another week. I personally want to go into the neighbours garden & take the dog out of there but if I do my friend will get in trouble, the garden is completely secure so there's no way the dog could have 'escaped'.

I fully understand that the ISPCA can't be everywhere at the drop of a hat so I'm not having a go at them but would it help to call them again?

Also can the Guards do anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mrfantastico

go over the house with some friends and confront the ****s also maybe ring the gardai and have them send an officer incase something happens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

if i were u now this is me. id take possesion of the dog even if its ot the point of theft.. a dog has no way of communication to a human........
    you have to be its voice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

They have been approached already but nothing has changed.
    The dog won't come near anyone, I suspect she has been beaten as well as starved. When you do try to approach her she gets very aggressive.

I'm all for removing the dog but it will fall back on my friend. She has already taken strips off them over it & to be honest I want these sad fcuks (sorry very angry) to be prosecuted & banned from ever owning another animal ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭anewme

mrDerek wrote: »
    if i were u now this is me. id take possesion of the dog even if its ot the point of theft.. a dog has no way of communication to a human........
    you have to be its voice

+1.....I would wait till they go out and take that dog outa there. Who cares if they think the dog has miracously escaped....just say, yeah I thought there were prowlers around the sheds as well......

do not wait till the dog is DEAD....you will go mad and have this on your concience as you are obviously an animal lover

Ok guys thanks for the advice.
    My blood boils when I read stories like this in the papers, to see it first hand is horrific. I have a new found respect for anyone working with the ISPCA, rescue homes & foster homes for having to witness this an awful lot more than me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

also report them for everything else you can think of - bring down a hailstorm of attention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Hey Op thats awful :(
    I would climb the back wall and take the dog,and bring straight to the dspca.

I am sure if you ring them again,and tell them the dog is going to die and the state its in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I'm suprised the ISPCA hasn't responded yet, probably snowed under with cases xt the moment. Guards won't do much i'm afraid - as gombeen as the fu¢ks that are perpetrating, they normally wait until they have a corpse or worse, same as Dept. of Agriculture in a neighbour killing foal incident experienced recently. My Mrs. has just adopted a badly neglected (breed unknown due to malnourishment) dog and wgen visiting him in pound before taking him saw loads of people dumping off dogs in pound which is full of tnem. Shower if animal hating retards in this country is unbelievable. Best advice i can give is take the dog. We offered to take a beautiful labrador off the neighbours who were neglecting him (nothing close to what you describe) about 2 years back, and he disappeared not long after. The fu¢kers won't even talk to us now even though we offered them a way out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Where is the dog located?

I'm suprised the ISPCA hasn't responded yet, probably snowed under with cases xt the moment. Guards won't do much i'm afraid - as gombeen as the fu¢ks that are perpetrating, they normally wait until they have a corpse or worse, same as Dept. of Agriculture in a neighbour killing foal incident experienced recently. My Mrs. has just adopted a badly neglected (breed unknown due to malnourishment) dog and wgen visiting him in pound before taking him saw loads of people dumping off dogs in pound which is full of tnem. Shower if animal hating retards in this country is unbelievable. Best advice i can give is take the dog. We offered to take a beautiful labrador off the neighbours who were neglecting him (nothing close to what you describe) about 2 years back, and he disappeared not long after. The fu¢kers won't even talk to us now even though we offered them a way out!

Well to be fair to the Guards they have enough to be doing & maybe their attitude is theres an organisation, ISPCA, there to deal with it.
    I am surprised the ISPCA hasn't been out, very surprised. But as you said they are probably snowed under.
    I really don't want to take the dog. I would prefer to have it done above board & have the owners prosecuted.

If the ISPCA does call tomorrow or on Saturday can they issue proceedings against the owners straight away or are they wasting their time?

• Advertisement

http://www.dspca.ie/Emergency

Here op it says here you can contact the Garda

Before you contact the DSPCA, try to gather as much information as possible, including:

a description of the animal or animals involved

the precise location of the animal or animals

the name and address of the person you believe may be
    responsible for the cruelty or neglect

the name and addresses of any other witnesses that may
    be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Yviexxx

In which county is the dog? Most counties have an Animal Cruelty Officer(s).

Yviexxx wrote: »
    In which county is the dog? Most counties have an Animal Cruelty Officer(s).

I'd prefer not to say in case the dog goes missing if you know what I mean.

I was in contact with a rescue home a while ago & was told to take the dog & bring her to them. Sadly though I think she might have to be put to sleep.

easyeason3 wrote: »

I was in contact with a rescue home a while ago & was told to take the dog & bring her to them. Sadly though I think she might have to be put to sleep.

Hopefully they wont have to,and i am sure they wont till they give her full check and feed her a bit,even worst cases i have seen them save.

Oh good luck aswell easyeason.Let us know how it goes and when you get the poor dog out.

caseyann wrote: »
    Hopefully they wont have to,and i am sure they wont till they give her full check and feed her a bit,even worst cases i have seen them save.

Well it would be very easy for me to bring her into a vet & claim she's a stray found wandering. One look at her & they would put her to sleep. If the owners don't feed her I seriously doubt they have her chipped or have a license.

But I believe she deserves a chance. A bit of food, little & often & in the right hands she could be a fantastic pet for someone. I'm more concerned about her fear of people than I am about her not having food. The food situation can be fixed easily but her confidence is gone & I'm afraid that could be the decider on whether or not she's given a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

have to say this makes me fvking sick .in any case they will investigate to see if there was a case of neglect which from what your saying there deffo was . i have bein in court and seen these kind of cases and the judge tru the book at em. hope the dog aint too far gone:mad:

Well it would be very easy for me to bring her into a vet & claim she's a stray found wandering. One look at her & they would put her to sleep. If the owners don't feed her I seriously doubt they have her chipped or have a license.

But I believe she deserves a chance. A bit of food, little & often & in the right hands she could be a fantastic pet for someone. I'm more concerned about her fear of people than I am about her not having food. The food situation can be fixed easily but her confidence is gone & I'm afraid that could be the decider on whether or not she's given a chance.

yeah i wouldnt bring to a vet,Bring to local dog rescue center,only way they put them down is if her health is not reversible,and nourishment and care will bring her back.
    I rescued loads of dogs when i was a kid.One such dog wouldn't let anyone next to near him,and actually snapped at a few people.But i simply sat and gave him small bit of food and followed me for more food.I didnt try to pet him till he offered it to me.Soon that dog was as placid as any household pet.He was in a bad way.
    Maybe ring them again say the dog is afraid of people and ask them advice on how to approach? And they work with dogs to regain the trust and confidence.I seen them do it loads of times,with really bad dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

OP i "badly" tried to reply to you there in AH..IGNORE.Quote tags didnt work for me and i was a bit harsh.

I hope you get help soon for this dog, he sounds like hes in an awful situation. The DSPCA are swamped but genuinely do try their best to get out to every call. Keep trying...and trying. They will help you if you keep insisting its a cruelty case.

This forum is sooo quiet after 7pm so dont expect a quick response to something like this.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'd advocate just taking her - a few years ago, some moron neighbours of mine, when the novelty of their cat wore off, banished him from the house (it was January - no cat house for him outside), stopped feeding him, stopped grooming him (he was long-haired and his fur became so dreadfully matted it must have hurt) so I just took him and brought him home to my mother's house.

Happy ending anyway: Got his fur treated at the vet's, fattened him up, gave him a great life (cosy kennel when he wanted to go outside) and he turned out fine - and a beauty. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Could you or your friend throw some food over the fence when they arent there until ISPCA get to him? Maybe dog nuts soaked in water to get some water into him as well as food. Also you dont know what condition his teeth are in.

Poor dog, these stories just boil my blood. Why these people get dogs in the first place is just beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭micheleabc

Terrier are notorius escapists; there is very little that can be done to keep a terrier in a back yard once it decide it's time to go, and nobody can be blamed for it.
    Some time ago in the area where I live there was an identical situation; there was a little meeting with neighbours, we too called DSPSA, ISPSA, Dog Warden: a waste of time, laws and enforcements are beautiful things until you need them to work.
    Bottom line, a day the little terrier "jumped the fence", by a "case" we "found it" on the street in front of the owner house (who wasn't there of course) and because "nobody knew the dog" we decided to take him to the nearest rescue centre (NO POUNDS please!!).
    Now the little dog lives apply in a foster family waiting for adoption.
    Do the right think, follow your hart. Sometime good things to happen need a little "push".
    After the dissaperance of the dog the owner never got bothered not even to go around the estate to look for the dog; those kind of people just don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The various SPCA's are not statutory bodies, they have no powers under the law, so there's nothing stopping you from taking the same approach that they do:

Put a very nice note into the person's house, offering to assist them in looking after their dog, offering to take it if necessary. Include your phone number for them to contact you and ask them to contact you by a certain date/time (give them 24-48 hours depending the condition of the dog).

If they haven't contacted you in this time and the SPCA still haven't gotten out to you, contact the Gardai who can assist you and enter the property to seize the dog if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

If i were in your shoes the first thing I would be doing is firing food over the fence, even if I had to do it in the middle of the night. Maybe also put some flea/worm treatments in it?
    there are no kill rescues out there who will take cross/scared dogs I htink and not pts.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Phenix

hi op
    i would also go the route of throwing some food into the dog until the ISPCA can get to her and also some ice cubes for water. not sure if this would help ur case in any way but could you take some pics of the dog and go to your local SPCA? This will show them the dog is in need of imediate attention? i am not sure if it works tat way and im sure they are up to their eyes but if like you say, the poor dog is nearing death she deserves a chance :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Animal cruelty is a criminal offence. So call the Gardai. They can legally have the dog removed, and handed over the the DSPCA.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The area you are in is really important to any answer that we give. The ISPCA do not cover much of the Country. Please just give a town/county & we will be able to better advise you.

People must understand that cruelty is an issue for the Guards. It is illegal to deny an animal food, water & shelter. I would visit your Garda station & make a formal complaint. Insist on a reference/incident number & tell them that you will be following this up. Stress that the animal is in immediate danger.

The Guards will probably call the nearest SPCA. They will act much quicker from a Garda referral & may ask the Guards to accompany them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

OP, can you please give us an ipdate on this situation? It's been bothering me badly since I read it. I need to know that the dog is ok or if you need any help in sorting out this situation?

UPDATE:

I rang ISPCA numerous times since I posted. I have emailed numerous times to the rescue shelter responsible for investigating animal abuse. So far I have not had one phone call or email back. My friend has done the same & has gotten the exact same response as me.

To say I feel let down & disgusted is an understatement. I regularly donate money to ISPCA in order to help them provide essential care & service to animals in need. I feel robbed because despite my friend & myself ringing constantly we have yet to get a phonecall, email or a visit to investigate the claim.

I will be removing the dog from her squalid & depressing excuse for a home tonight. Her new life will either begin or she will be put out of her misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Just be careful. What you are going to do is illegal and while i'm not telling you not to do it i'm just warning you. I'm on your side.
    I do know that if you take the dog to a vet and say its a stray they are highly unlikely to put it down unless its in absolutely terrible pain without the owners consent. Now we know the owners is a piece of sh1t.

• Advertisement

amiable wrote: »
    Just be careful. What you are going to do is illegal and while i'm not telling you not to do it i'm just warning you. I'm on your side.
    I do know that if you take the dog to a vet and say its a stray they are highly unlikely to put it down unless its in absolutely terrible pain without the owners consent. Now we know the owners is a piece of sh1t.

No it's not illegal, I have her consent after telling her that not only would I be calling ISPCA but also the Guards. It took me a few days to track her down but it gave me time to think so I also have a note that I wrote & got her to sign & date. Basically the note says that she is unable to look after her dog anymore & is allowing me to take her to a rescue centre. Just in case she decides I 'stole' her dog.
    Her biggest worry when I approached her was that she was going to be late meeting a friend :rolleyes:

Advertisement