Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting neglect & abuse of a dog.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Well done for having the sheer guts to do this. This may sound mad but get a dog license as soon as you can. It is not unknown for people like this to let you put their dog right & then expect it back. The Gardai regard the owner as the person who holds a license for the dog.

Do you have a Vet who is briefed & ready to help ?. Most Vets will reduce their charges for a case like this. Be careful with food & water if the dog has been starved. Under no account give it a big meal as it's digestive system won't cope.

Take photographs to prove it's condition in case they are needed later & ask the Vet to make notes.

I would never condone law breaking :rolleyes: but anyone in a similar situation should bear in mind that the law allows you to take any stray that is roaming in the street. I have known of cases where well meaning individuals have assisted a dog to escape & then rescued it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

easyeason3 wrote: »
    No it's not illegal, I have her consent after telling her that not only would I be calling ISPCA but also the Guards. It took me a few days to track her down but it gave me time to think so I also have a note that I wrote & got her to sign & date. Basically the note says that she is unable to look after her dog anymore & is allowing me to take her to a rescue centre. Just in case she decides I 'stole' her dog.
    Her biggest worry when I approached her was that she was going to be late meeting a friend :rolleyes:

Well you didn't say that earlier now did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

easyeason3 - thank you! I am so delighted to hear this. I would have been fully prepared to go to wherever you are to help if that was necessary. Thank God that dog has you looking out for it - it's one of the lucky ones in a weird sort of way I suppose.
    Let us know how you get on from here. And again, thank you - this time on behalf of the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Shazanne wrote: »
    easyeason3 - thank you! I am so delighted to hear this. I would have been fully prepared to go to wherever you are to help if that was necessary. Thank God that dog has you looking out for it - it's one of the lucky ones in a weird sort of way I suppose.
    Let us know how you get on from here. And again, thank you - this time on behalf of the dog.
    x2
    Respect to easyeason3:)
    That poor dog is lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

amiable wrote: »
    Well you didn't say that earlier now did you?

It was a quick update as requested by a previous poster. I don't see how this affects the end result for the dog apart from me not breaking the law which has been encouraged by most, if not all posters.

Anyway, went to get the dog this evening but she wouldn't come near me or my friend. The 'owner' was gone, most likely out of shame, so we climbed over the fence to get in as she suggested because 'life is hectic & who knows when i'll be around to let you in'. Pathetic.

After much coaxing & allowing the dog time to see if she would come over herself, it was a failed attempt. I had chicken with me so I would gently & slowly walk over to her & leave some chicken on the ground & walk back to the fence. Only when we climbed over the fence would she go to eat the chicken. We did that a few times but she's very nervous.

I rang my vet & he said that he could give me a relaxant to put in the chicken to calm her down so we could catch her. I'd prefer not to go down that road because she's very thin so I'd be afraid it would do more harm than good.

I'm going to try her again tomorrow though. With enough time she will come around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭micheleabc

It will take lots of patience, the dog will be scared in the end all the dog know is that somebody who is not suposed to be there is in it's yard.
    After you'll jump the fence try to sit still (the standing position can be very intimidating as is the fighting position), try to put some food around you and just let the dog to go to you, don't try to cacth it if it doesn't want to get closer; give it time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

micheleabc wrote: »
    It will take lots of patience, the dog will be scared in the end all the dog know is that somebody who is not suposed to be there is in it's yard.
    After you'll jump the fence try to sit still (the standing position can be very intimidating as is the fighting position), try to put some food around you and just let the dog to go to you, don't try to cacth it if it doesn't want to get closer; give it time.
    +1 If you can, don't sit facing the dog directly, just let her come over and grab the food while you're there. She might run off with it, but that's OK, that's a step in itself. She's likely quite timid and afraid that you will attack her if she takes the food (as another dog would do). Once she knows that she can take the food from you and you won't react, you can work up to having her take it from your hand.

Although I wouldn't be rushing to grab the dog and put it in distress, I would personally be very eager to get the dog onto my own property where I'm free to work on her there, even if she does freak out for 30 minutes.

Fair play to you easyeason.

If you get a muzzle to put on the dog. It will be safer for you when trying to get him out of the place.

I am with Seamus on this one. Personally I would want to get the dog out & know that it is safe especially if the property is unoccupied - you never know who else might be around.

I would go the sedative route. Have you tried asking the local SPCA if they will give you a hand ?. I would use the sedative at a time when, as soon as you get the dog you can go immediately to the vet encase their are any complications.

As a last resort I would use a grabber & physically remove it. It may seem traumatic but the quicker the dog is out of there & is safe, the better.

The dog has experienced great fear in it's present surroundings. If you get it out soon you may find that it recovers quicker than you think.

There are people here who would help you but they need to know the area. Please don't be afraid to ask for help.

Hi. While I am in total agreement with getting the dog out of there immediately, I would not be suggesting a muzzle under the circumstances as it would be almost impossible to get that close to the poor dog.
    However, being as though a vet has suggested a sedative I certainly think that this is the way to go. Obviously a vet would not suggest such a move if he did not feel it was safe.
    I cannot wait to read the message that says that this dog has been rescued!

• Advertisement

Well I have a few scratches but I feel so good.

Bobbi, as I have christened her, is now in a safe, warm house being looked after by a dote of a woman.
    It wasn't easy catching her, it took time & when I went to pick her up she nipped & scratched a good bit. I kept petting her & giving her some chicken to calm her down & it worked but she was still very nervous. So I put her in a box with a few old sheets for bedding & drove her to her new home. Her coat is all matted, she's riddled with fleas, ticks & worms & she is very thin. She was brought to the vet this morning to get checked out & I just got a txt to say she's going to be ok once looked after. So I think they're getting her groomed now, poor little pet had dreadlocks so they must be pulling on her skin & hurting her.

Her new owner is a lady called Moira. She's a friend of a friend of a friend.
    She very kindly offered to take Bobbi in & give her a new home. And what a home Bobbi has now! Moira has a little Yorkshire Terrier already so has a proper set up & lets the dogs sleep inside. She's retired so will be home most of the time & has great patience with Bobbi. She's very kind & gentle with her. This home is perfect, I can't praise her enough.

I'm going to call over tomorrow to see how they are but it would bring a tear to your eye looking at her. When I left last night she was after having something small to eat, she had a little friend curled up beside her licking her face, she was in a warm house & had everything she could need but the best thing ever was a little shine had come back into her eyes. I bawled the whole way home like a big soft fool!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭micheleabc

Very well done:))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Oh my god that's amazing, well done ye done a great job. Ah so happy:D

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Oh my god that's amazing, well done ye done a great job. Ah so happy:D

We didn't do anything to be honest. Moira is the one who will be doing the hardest part so I think it's well done to her.

Funnily enough still no phonecall or email from ISPCA.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

:D:Ddont ya love a happy ending :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:Dhey dont forget to put some picks like before and after ones would be cool:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Credit is to the kind lady who has taken her in.....but most of the credit is due to YOU! It takes a strong brave person to confront and take control of a situation when others would just ignore it, or want to get involved but not be brave enough to deal with the confrontation and possible fall out.

This whole story has lifted my spirits a little bit and shown there are still many good good people in the world who will put themselves out there and do what is right.

Good luck will follow you for what you have done for that little dog!

Very well done - I bet you feel good. He will be a great little dog. The abused ones have a way of repaying love. My new chap never stops wagging his tail. The first week he could not believe the amount of food (just normal amounts) & the treats that my other two get.

There are plenty of people who would of done nothing especially as it involved a degree of confrontation & negotiation. You are clearly very good at this. One day, when we have a proper ISPCA, you would make a brilliant inspector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 rooney111

any chance of a photo of this dog then???would be great:D

I have to find the cable to connect my camera with the computer but will put up a photo as soon as I can.

easyeason3 wrote: »
    We didn't do anything to be honest. Moira is the one who will be doing the hardest part so I think it's well done to her.

Funnily enough still no phonecall or email from ISPCA.
    Modest as well. You did a super job, no question about that:):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

I think you deserve a collective internet pat on the back.

Nice job!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for that message!! I cried too when I read it. I am so relieved to hear that she is ok and being properly cared for. Well done to you easyeason - were it not for you vigilance this happy ending could never have happened:) And well done to Moira too - she will be rewarded with the love of a wonderful little dog.
    Big hugs all round and thank you once again. XXXXX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I've been following this thread, but haven't posted before.

I'm not ashamed to say I was in tears when I read of the happy ending this poor dog got. I cannot for the life of me imagine why this stupid ignorant woman got the poor thing in the first place. She clearly can't look after a dog, so it was great she's gone to a new home. I can't abide cruelty in any way, shape or form, and if I knew where this wretch lived, I wouldn't be responsible for my actions...

I have a cat and a dog, who are the most spoiled and adored animals in Cork. There is NOTHING I wouldn't do for them and frankly don't understand people who don't feel the same way. But that's just me!

Well done to everybody!! I'll raise a glass to you tonight...

Advertisement