Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a second hand iphone (or something similiar) off ebay to make audio recordings

Options
  • 02-09-2010 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭

Ok, so here's my query. I need to make some very rough audio recordings of songs that our band are writing. I've done this on a friends iphone already and it's sounds great and is exactly what I'm looking for. Money is a bit tight at the minute so I was thinking of buying a second hand iphone off ebay specifically for this, have no interest in using it as a phone or any other purpose.

Has anyone had any experience of this? How much should I expect to pay or would I just get ripped off?

Should I think about getting some other device instead instead? If so, does anyone have any recommendations? I'm working off Windows 7 so as long as it's compatible with that.

I'd be grateful for any help on this. I'm pretty much a technophobe and have never used ebay before so not really sure what to do.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Why not just buy a standalone recorder?

It probably would be better quality than any phone Mic out there...

Phone mics aren't great at recording alot of noise at once...especially with a band having many different sound waves and levels..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BandMember

Hi evolutionqy7. Many thanks for your response.

Would you have any suggestions on a standalone recorder? I wouldn't have a clue about things. I'm running off Windows 7 so I'm guessing that it would have to be fairly new in order to be compatible? I already have to get a new mp3 player as it won't work with W7. :(

As regards the quality of the iphone, it's just going to be very rough solo acoustic sketches of riffs and lyrics - very basic, just something to mail to each other so we can get an idea of how the song is going and how we can improve it. A few of them have done sound clips on their iphones already and the sound was perfect! I was shocked at how good it was. That's why I thought that I might pick up a cheap second hand one off ebay...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

well the portable recorders would work in the principle of recording it and storing it on to its flashdrive...

something like journalist carry around for interviews...

you just plug it in to the pc after and copy the recording file to the pc...the recording file should be compatible with all pcs...as its a matter of a file not the device being compatible...

i dont have a clue on whats a decent audio recorder but your can ask in the instruments section

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ralphie

Get a mini disc and microphone.Superb quality and can be loaded to laptop.Get a sony net MD.They can now be got cheaply on ebay.Certainly a much cheaper and better option than an iphone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Fairly weird query OP.Needless to say do not spend money on a second-hand iphone just to make recordings. You could literally get the same quality in a standalone recorder/dictaphone for 50 quid. I just picked up a Sony PCM-M10 off ebay (U.S. seller) for about 200 clams all-in. Absolutely great piece of kit. They're fairly tricky to find though. I'd recommend having a look on www.thomann.de or even argos.

• Advertisement
Advertisement