Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Presents: What are you hoping to give/get?

Options
  • 02-09-2010 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

What are you getting/hoping to get this year? And what are you getting for others?

I have no idea what I'm getting for others lol or what I want.

I need ideas lol!:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Ideas for other people would be easier to help with if we'd a gender/age bracket :)
    Also some people are just really hard to buy for, not into the general stuff you'd think etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

star-pants wrote: »
    Ideas for other people would be easier to help with if we'd a gender/age bracket :)
    Also some people are just really hard to buy for, not into the general stuff you'd think etc
    Age brackets, all ages lol.

Youngest will be 8 months and oldest it 84 yrs lol!

I don't mean specific ideas for each person lol, just random ideas.

Jeepers then you could buy anything really!

Toys - educational / fun / brainworkers / puzzles / family orientated
    Clothes - accessories - pjs - funky socks - hats - ties - scarves - jewellery - slippers
    Collectables - cars / sports / tv / film / books / merchandise
    Vouchers - spas / track days / flying lessons / car lessons / retail
    Household items - frames / candles / crockery / utensils / throws / pictures / photos / babyware(items needed for kitchen/bedroom/bathroom)

Books / cds / dvds / audiobooks / games / diaries / calendars / trinkets / perfumes/colognes / shavers / makeup / sets of things / car accessories / personalised gifts / phone accessories / garden/powertools / DIY / baking / childhood memories

I'm sure I can think of more lol, that's just being vaguely general

I know LOL that's why I asked what others were getting to give as presents/hoping to receive as presents, maybe they are giving/getting something different, unusual etc.

For Xmas, I usually give perfume / money / vouchers / CD's / DVD's / clothes / pyjamas / slippers / sweets / books / cosmetics / skincare / jewellery / alcohol / ornaments etc so was looking for some unusual idea's.

Sorry, I should have been clearer lol, my bad. Thanks for your ideas though, I appreciate your help.

Ahhhh

Well I know we're getting my dad some audiobooks as he can't really read but loves knowing the stories, and he can listen to them in his car. We usually get him DIY stuff, or I got him a pellet gun & target before.
    You could get someone who likes their car a voucher for a valet or something.

My mother is fairly easy, I'll probably get her some earrings, some TattyTeddy stuff (she loves that), MickeyMouse figurines. Maybe books.
    I got her a Steiff Paddington Bear from the 70s last year on eBay, she loved it.

Teen sister, clothes/jewellery/cds/dvds/books/camera or something?

Technically still teen brother, games for Xbox/DS/etc, or tshirts or books maybe, or vouchers for games, or console accessories.

Older sister, clothes or dvd sets (they live abroad so love having dvds to watch) or makeup stuff.

Friends, range from silly things really. Could be purses/scarves/jewellery/trinkets/etc, getting one some cool loungepants :D
    Godson, turning 10, getting him Lego & books.

I find the internet or markets can be great for finding things, that might be from someones childhood or just something random they'd love.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

is it just me that when your older you dont know what to get or you just feel like you dont need anything ?? thats the way i feel :( i use to love thinking about what to get :(

It's not just you, my parents always ask what I want and there's nothing much really, so if I'm in need of a new phone or something in the few months before Christmas or new runners, I'll tell them to get them for me and keep them for Christmas so they feel like they've gotten me something I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭msbusterpuss

i bought a house 2 years ago and i know this is cr*p but off the other halfs parents last year i asked them to buy me doors for the interior of my house, my mam got me blinds for the windows, and this year im going to ask someone for a voucher for B&Q i have been thinking about this for ages:D

Not crap at all! I'd rather buy someone something they really want/need instead of things they don't that won't get use :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭msbusterpuss

yes so true but some people are like really??? I think yes i love my house and want to make it better. i also find i love buying presents and inevitably end up giving them to the person before im supposed to because i cant hold in the excitement myself and then i have to buy more!! :D ah you gotta love xmas!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

i bought a house 2 years ago and i know this is cr*p but off the other halfs parents last year i asked them to buy me doors for the interior of my house, my mam got me blinds for the windows, and this year im going to ask someone for a voucher for B&Q i have been thinking about this for ages:D

sounds like a perfect present B&Q and Homebase are 2 of my favourite shops :)

unfortunately my dishwasher is acting up at the mo, so I think I know what I'll be getting from the other half this year, he'd do anything rather than having to wash dishes himself lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Have my list made for presents for people already :

Dad - some dvds, boxsets which i know he likes, big box of turkish delight, and maybe one of those dad rocks cds.

Mam - toblerone, some books like biographies, and a bubble bath set.

No brothers or sisters though so thats cool. :D

Bf - really not sure yet of everything, except for FG boxset.

As for myself you can never have enough bags, perfumes and cash! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭madbev90210

I think if we start planning now, right a list etc with general ideas and when your out and about pick up some pieces and make little personalised hampers etc. This year for me is all about thoughtful gifts ie things personal to that person or unusual as in, instead of a prepared set from boots, buy individual items the person likes and wrap them up. I have done this for birthdays etc and has proved a hit so far!

I think if we start planning now, right a list etc with general ideas and when your out and about pick up some pieces and make little personalised hampers etc. This year for me is all about thoughtful gifts ie things personal to that person or unusual as in, instead of a prepared set from boots, buy individual items the person likes and wrap them up. I have done this for birthdays etc and has proved a hit so far!
    Thank you for this.

I think every week from the start of October onwards I'll start buying small things each week and that way it spreads out the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

I did something similar for my sisters before, I gave them both a shoe box of small things - everything was wrapped up.. ranged from CDs, books, novelty soaps, sample size perfumes etc.. EBay is great for this kind of small stuff.

Just a quick question, for a family of five (3 kids + 2 adults) would a family voucher for a park or something be ok?

Would it be much cheaper than buying individual presents for each person? My cousin, his girlfriend and their three kids are coming for Xmas, but the kids have so many clothes, toys, DVDs, tbh, they have everything (and I mean, everything) that I just don't know what to get them and I don't have alot of money to spend on them either.

As for my cousin and his girlfriend, I have no idea what to get for them either, so thought maybe a family voucher/ticket for a park would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

At the moment its all only ideas....

Mum - Necklace that ive spotted that i think she ll like, book and possible some photography books.

Dad - EBook, voucher for some ebooks and some sweets

Sister and Boyf - still havent figured out yet but there normally quite easy to find pressies for.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭madbev90210

Just a quick question, for a family of five (3 kids + 2 adults) would a family voucher for a park or something be ok?

Would it be much cheaper than buying individual presents for each person? My cousin, his girlfriend and their three kids are coming for Xmas, but the kids have so many clothes, toys, DVDs, tbh, they have everything (and I mean, everything) that I just don't know what to get them and I don't have alot of money to spend on them either.

As for my cousin and his girlfriend, I have no idea what to get for them either, so thought maybe a family voucher/ticket for a park would be nice.

I think thats a great idea, it will ensure the family have a fun day together away from toys/computer games etc and its very thoughtful which is the main "ingredient" in a successful present! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

Well my brother created a wish list on amazon that he sent round to all of us. We don't necessarily have to get the stuff on amazon but at least we will be getting something he wants.

I am at an age now where I hate getting stuff I wont use so I feel the same. I will make up a wishlist or if I see something in a shop I'll tell my family. But I'll still get something small for members of my family along with whatever they want. I love little surprises :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I need a new pair of glasses. So I'm gonna be boring and get my husband to buy me a new set for Christmas.
    BUT! Since it's by b-day too, I get another pressie - so not ALL of my present-ness is going to be used up on a pair of spectacles!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh I saw my christmas pressies last week in Hosfords...Getting older now and I just have way too much stuff gathered so I am being sensible and have asked my manfriend for two giant cactises (I have a bit of a liken for them have loadsa minis but not big huge ones) and one of those Chinese Maple trees. Love gardening and I am always saying I want one so score I will have them for christmas..

The family voucher idea is great as It will defo be used...Must keep that in mind for my nephews...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Hmmm, I haven't put much thought into this yet >_<

Mum - probably make up a little hamper of things she likes. She never wants any big presents so I find this works :)

Dad - some music type thing. Maybe some money into his downloading account, blank CDs, a music DVD... something along those lines.

Brother - some form of home fitness equipment. Maybe a gym ball, he's been wanting one for a while. Or else a game... Civ 5 or something along those lines.

Boyfriend - oh yes, I've a great plan for him. An awesome present. I'm thinking of getting him
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I'm not that stupid :p

As for me, I want quite a few things >_< Coco Mademoiselle Chanel perfume (I had a full bottle that met a sad death during the Summer and can't afford a new bottle ;_; ), Rock Band 3, several anime DVDs, Riverdance boxset, an XBOX... not expecting most of it but one can dream right? :P

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Hotaru wrote: »
    Boyfriend - oh yes, I've a great plan for him. An awesome present. I'm thinking of getting him

Hahahaha, I can't believe she would be so stupid, let's have a look he-
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I'm not that stupid :p

DAMN YOU WOMAN!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

What I'm hoping to give:

Daughter: Spongebob Lap-Top, Dora Doll House
    Wife: A spending spree

What I hope to receive:

Books, a portable hard drive, maybe to push the boat out an amazon kindle! If anyone is reading....

I got some presents today, still have more to get, but am happy to have gotten some already.

Cousin (5.5yo):
    Spiderman Carry-along colouring set
    Spiderman colouring book (no link for this, sorry)
    Spiderman sticker set (no link for this atm, sorry)
    Spiderman carry-pack

Cousin (3.5yo):
    Sponge Bob Square Pants carry-pack (no link for this atm, sorry, but its the same as the Spiderman one, just it's Sponge Bob Square Pants)
    Sponge Bob Square Pants jumbo colouring book
    Sponge Bob Square Pants grab 'n' go activity pad (sorry, no link for this atm)
    Sky Flyer toy set
    Jumbo Bubbles (like this but it makes huge bubbles).

Cousin (1.5yo):
    Mini-Library Nursery Rhymes (Mini LLibrary Nursery Rhymes
    Mini Library Fun To Learn
    Magical Christmas Stories.

For the 1.5yo, I was thinking maybe a teddy to go with the other three things I got for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

when you say doors, why did you think they would be spending a few hundred on doors, i give my offsprings one hundred each for christmas, that is it, this year because of this downturn, i am out of work, and my partner is now down sick so little coming in, the top mine will get each is fifty euro each, and i hope to get art supplies, a few brushes, and arcrylic paints, as i am revining my old hobby at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

purple bobbon - go into dunnes or pennys and go to the hardward section - pick out a basket. Then make a hamper for that family (a box of sweets and bottle wine - both on offer every week, half price or less in dunnes for good sweets), and a couple of board games games for the kids - some funky kids jewellery thrown in if its a girl or some toy they would get a kick out of - a rubik's cube? something odd but tried and tested and that has stood the test of time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

remember, and i KNOW people will throw their eyes to heaven when they hear this........but.....its not what you give its the thought that counts.

Ask yourself this.....can you remember what everyone got you last year and the year before - more than likely the answer is "NO". So in reality it doesn't matter how much or little that is spent - as long as when the package is opened it gets a laugh, a nod, or a hug it doesn't really matter what is spent.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

remember, and i KNOW people will throw their eyes to heaven when they hear this........but.....its not what you give its the thought that counts.

Ask yourself this.....can you remember what everyone got you last year and the year before - more than likely the answer is "NO". So in reality it doesn't matter how much or little that is spent - as long as when the package is opened it gets a laugh, a nod, or a hug it doesn't really matter what is spent.

Try telling that to my girlfriend!! :p

But seriously you are spot on in everything you've said there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

1. Some decent knives
    2. Toy Story 3 on BlueRay
    3. SLEEP

Advertisement