Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are we stupid or just learners?

• 02-09-2010 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

So there I was reading a post earlier and it reminded me of kids and how you can tell them not to do something till the cows come home but until they feel the burney burney of the fire they won't listen.

But is it just kids? Are people generally stupid until things happen to them or just close to home? Knowing something is bad or having to experiance it to understand?

Are we stupid? Or are we learners?

There are many ads on TV telling people not to speed, some quite dramatic, some featuring real people who have suffered as a result of speeding but does it take an death close to home to enlighten people? for example?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Most of the people I know are responsible adults 95% of the time.

It's the 5% when they don't pay attention or think of the consequences that I worry about.

And you have to do stupid things to learn & develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Cullen82

So there I was reading a post earlier and it reminded me of kids and how you can tell them not to do something till the cows come home

I absolutely love Partying until the cows come home and then when the cows come home, Partying with the cows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Problem is the scumbags will never learn when all they get is a slap on the wrist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Kids learn from mistakes,they touch something,if it burns they won't touch it again. They eat something,it doesn't taste nice,they won't eat it again.
    They fall over a million times when they learn to walk but they eventually get there.

Older people just have developed common sense over the years and know not to do this or that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

Cullen82 wrote: »
    I absolutely love Partying until the cows come home and then when the cows come home, Partying with the cows.

remember "Disco na mbo"?

great book

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

Cullen82 wrote: »

Are we stupid or are we dancers?

King Felix wrote: »
    Are we stupid or are we dancers?

I don't know but i'm on my knees looking for the answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

This thread is stupid & I have learned nothing from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

People are inherently stupid OP, if you require proof just glance at your own username. People in general are a bad joke that gets less and less and less funny each time you hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭last name ever. first name greatest

storm2811 wrote: »
    Kids learn from mistakes,the touch something,if it burns they won't touch it again. They eat something,it doesn't taste nice,they won't eat it again.
    They fall over a million times when they learn to walk but they eventually get there.

Older people just have developed common sense over the years and know not to do this or that.

I agree. It seems you have to grow old to have value, rather than be told. :/

• Advertisement

I agree. It seems you have to grow old to have value, rather than be told. :/

In order to be old and wise, you have to be young and stupid first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Genrally i think kids need to learn saying dont do that or dont do this there gonna do it it nuatrally sends them curious....

Parents can be pretty over protective... which isnt exactly great for kids.

But ye you have to fvck up make mistakes etc weather your a child its how we learn.....

As for death it happens to every one, I dont really fear dying i fear having to walk with a walking stick and just being un mobile I really do fear... as for putting the breaks on around people dying a death of driving a car to hard...

Well that's sheer stupidity half the time kids in cars faster then there experience or ability to drive. yes so,me times its a nasty accedenet but thats part of the risk with driving every ones an idiot but me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

bazmaiden wrote: »
    remember "Disco na mbo"?

I remember that Disco Sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I always think of when I'm in a restaurant and the waiter puts down the plate and says "don't touch the plate, its hot" and I still have to touch to see just how hot it is. I know its really stupid but I still do it :confused:

Advertisement