Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I buy a white PIR switch?

• 02-09-2010 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Evening all,

I'm trying to get my hands on a discrete PIR switch that I can fit to the corner of my porch that will switch on my porch light. I know I can buy a combined PIR / light unit but all I can find are ones that are attached to a wall and not fitted to the underside of the porch.

This one is perfect for what I need but they won't ship to Ireland: clicky here

I'm looking for something, small, discrete, white (has to be white), capable of handling 240V mains, stays on for a few minutes and won't cost a kidney to buy. There has to be somewhere in Ireland that I can buy something like this, if so can someone please tell me.

Thanks in advance,

Frank.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

does your porch have a ceiling, if so you could fit a flush mount occupancy detector. they are fitted in the same way as a downlighter and have multiple settings including a built in photocell which means they only opperate when its dark. they range in size from about 30 mm to about 80mm in size. steinal and b.e.g luxomat are good makes. you can also get an occupncy detector/pir the same size and shape as a single light switch.
    if this doesnt suit the smallest pir i know of is the steinal is-140.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,573 ✭✭✭✭ted1

try an electrical whole sales like demense. I see the type you want in offices every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Frank Jnr

Thanks for the replies.

Indie, my porch does have a ceiling but I want to fit a PIR that will detect movement down the driveway rather than just when someone stands on the porch.

It doesn't need to be super small, more discrete than anything else, and white just so I don't have a big black pimple hanging under my porch.

I'll try some of the wholesalers if I have to but I am a bit reluctant to use them as they still charge rip off prices, I'd like to exhaust all avenues on the internet first before buying something like that in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Frank Jnr wrote: »
    I'll try some of the wholesalers if I have to but I am a bit reluctant to use them as they still charge rip off prices, I'd like to exhaust all avenues on the internet first before buying something like that in Ireland.

I've never found wholesalers to be overly expensive. They will be able to supply you a PIR in white, similar to what you need.

It will cost about €35 or so. You'll probably think this is expensive as you can buy the whole light for less than a tenner in B&Q, but its just a matter of volume really.

I've never found wholesalers to be overly expensive. They will be able to supply you a PIR in white, similar to what you need.

It will cost about 35 or so. You'll probably think this is expensive as you can buy the whole light for less than a tenner in B&Q, but its just a matter of volume really.

I can buy the PIR that I want, albeit in black, on the web for about 18, I'd rather stick a black one up than pay a wholesaler twice the price for a white one. I just don't want to pay any more than I have to. Unfortunately volume buying doesn't come into this, I only want 1.

Thanks for taking the time to reply though, I will check around though with a few wholesalers, you never know, I might be pleasantly surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

we do a beg luxomat is-140 pir in white and black with a 12 mtr range for about 19 euro inc vat. most wholesalers will quote ppl for the dearer priced stuff cause thats what most sparks fit as most electricians want reliable gear.
    better off calling into your nearest wholesaler and asking as they should have some lower priced stuff.

Thanks indie, I'll give the local wholesaler a try. I only want the PIR for a porch light, more as a project for myself than anything else, don't want to get a super duper one in case it doesn't work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

B&Q have the one your looking for, fairly cheap too.

Advertisement