Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick query on tracing a bankdraft...

Options
  • 02-09-2010 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Going unreg for this one folks. A very good Samaritan who knows my mother's financial woes has given her €1000 with an anonymous note telling her to put it to good use! :O Could not believe it! Only thing is that it is in the form of a bank draft - is there any way to discover who this person is? Obviously she needs the money and is delighted but at same time feels she cannot accept it. However if she just tears it up it is my understanding that both parties lose out? There was a tracking number with it, but this gives no identification info...
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Moved from PI to Banking, hope you get better help here.

Ickle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Yeah, its very easy to trace who the draft is from alright, no bother there, but im not too sure as to weather your mother would actually be entitled to that info or not. The top right hand corner of the draft will have the branch it came from, if she rings/calls there, they will ask her the draft number, and can easily trace it that way. Its really up to that branches procedures as to weather they will give her the info. Does the bank branch name on the draft give her a clue regarding the area, most people bank in their home town if you get my drift. By tearing it up, she is wasting it, as the person has already paid for it and will not know if its cashed or not, unless she enquires at the bank specifically.

Kudos to the person who did it tho, very nice thing to do.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

As gogo said, the branch who issued the draft will be able to discover who it's from, but AFAIK, they'd be in breach of the data protection act if they gave the info to your mother without the purchaser's permission. If they aren't able to give her the info, your mother could ask them to contact the person and ask either if it's ok to tell her who they are, or else just to pass along her many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

I agree with gogo, i think its up to the bank really. Unless she says she needs to declare it to the accountant and she can't remember who gave it to her?? Now that probably wouldn't work but sure she could give it a try
    .:rolleyes:
    Don't rip it up though, the money already has been withdrawn from the very very generous persons a/c.

Id love to give that person a hug:D

Advertisement