Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I cash a UK Sterling Cheque into my Irish bank account?

Options
  • 02-09-2010 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hello

I have a cheque that is in sterling and I want to cash it into my Irish bank account. The cheque has my UK address on it.

Can I do this or do I have to cash it back in the UK?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

The bank should buy it from you as long as they do Foreign Exchange. The teller should 'buy' the cheque from you, convert it to euros and then lodge the euro amount into you account. The cheque will take longer to clear to as it is stg.

The cheque is made payable to you i presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

If it has your name on it, you can lodge it, but not cash it. You will have to wait for it to clear before being able to draw on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

Sorry, yeah I want to lodge it into my Irish bank account. Is that possible. How long would that take?

It has my UK address and my name on it. It's actually from Google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

Lodging it in is fine. About 10-15 working days id say. In my local credit union it takes 20 days for it to clear, but this is because they send them to the bank to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Sounds like dividend or similar. Doesn't matter though. You just lodge it in the bank, no issues apart from increased clearing time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I FUKCED HATE THE BANKS.
    Got 2 cheques from the UK for items I sold and only found out after I phoned up a week after lodging the cheques that it'll take a month (20 working days) until the money hits my account.

It'd be quicker getting a donkey to walk to the uk with a bag of coins and deliver in person....
    'rant over'

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Don't pull up threads from the dead, and take a peek at the forum charter. Preferably the latter should come first, meaning the second won't happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement