Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Mods

Options
  • 02-09-2010 11:46pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭

Please welcome your new Mods, Magnumlady and Irish-stew. Go gentle on them, they are new to Modding :)

And thank you to the previous Mods for all their work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Welcome guys! And many good lucks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Don't worry - we'll break them in gently.

But we WILL break them!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Best of luck ML and Stewey, Congratulations.

Blackie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

New mods eh?

Well I'll give you something to mod about.....

At some stage I'm sure :)

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Thanks everyone.....be gentle with us :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Congrats Val and Stew!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,894 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Good luck kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

magnumlady wrote: »
    Thanks everyone.....be gentle with us :D

congrats xxx ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

congrats/commiserations* guys:p

*delete as appropriate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Oh good, I like you two!

I promise to be good.*

*crosses fingers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Good luck guys.
    Now that ye're here we can all stop the looting and rioting. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

The only way is up.

In my opinion it is not always necessary, and in a lot of instances that I've observed, (far far too many to be honest), moderators should have kept silently in the shadows, observing the rules of the game. Some moderators became the dominant voice and overiding opinion of the regional forum, looking liked they owned the forum. To that end, and to express your own personal opinion, you might want to have an alter ego.

Anyways a happy, wise and well balanced moderation to you both. And Im saying nothing else on the matter.

As long as you are all well behaved we'll be grand.;)
    You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.....think Jack Nicholson in The Shining:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The only way is up.

In my opinion it is not always necessary, and in a lot of instances that I've observed, (far far too many to be honest), moderators should have kept silently in the shadows, observing the rules of the game. Some moderators became the dominant voice and overiding opinion of the regional forum, looking liked they owned the forum. To that end, and to express your own personal opinion, you might want to have an alter ego.

Anyways a happy, wise and well balanced moderation to you both. And Im saying nothing else on the matter.

I hope i have interpreted you post correctly, apolagies if i haven't.

Moderators are intitled to give their opinon on a relevent thread, in the same way as ordinary posters are, as long as that opinon is posted as per the forum charters.

Just becuase someone is a moderator they still have to follow the rules and guidelines and not allow their own beliefs or thoughts on a topic to decide how that thread is run. For example, if i disagree with you, and your arguement has been posted as per the rules, that does not give me the right to use mod powers, that would be an abuse of the responsibilty given, the only time those mod powers should be used if is there has been a breech of the charter.

Now at the same time we do have to try and keep the thread on subject.

At the end of the day, just becuase we are mods, I would hope that we are not treated any differently, and when we do have to step in, which hopefully should not be to often, that our reasons are understood.

Getting back to the topic in hand, thanks for your support and valued opinon.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Nice one guys. Congratulations to magnumlady and irish-stew :)

Good man irish-stew getting off to a good start anyway.

Er...with respect, abeit in jest, getting angry is losing. Even at this stage you dont want to send out the wrong message.:cool:

Knowledge and correct application of the rules and a cool head is the name of the game, seasoned with a bit of common sense.

But the biggest concern Ive seen on the Sligo Boards is over inflated, high handed and inappropriate intrusion by the Mods...Previous Mods have pissed a lot of people off by their high handed opinions.

I've said enough...good luck.

magnumlady wrote: »
    As long as you are all well behaved we'll be grand.;)
    You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.....think Jack Nicholson in The Shining:eek:

I can assure you it was a joke Cityman.

I thought it was meant to be light hearted too.

""Moderators are intitled to give their opinon on a relevent thread, in the same way as ordinary posters are, as long as that opinon is posted as per the forum charters.

"Just becuase someone is a moderator they still have to follow the rules and guidelines and not allow their own beliefs or thoughts on a topic to decide how that thread is run"...

Correct, and I totally agree that this is how it should be..What I am saying is, is this: It hasnt has always been that way in the past.

The opportunity for well balanced moderation and participation is yours for the taking. Good luck. Take it grab it, its yours. Looking forward to conversing with you.

;)[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement

greetings wrote: »
    I thought it was meant to be light hearted too.

Im totally sure it was too. Words on a screen can be easily misinterpreted. Im just trying to give a bit of helpful advice.

Anyone who has visited Sligo Boards.ie over the past couple of years will have a good idea about what Im talking about.

That's alright,I can see how you thought she meant it as a threat,but she was just messing,being friendly as she's a new moderator. Hardly the best welcome she could have recieved. Whatever you think about any old moderators on the forum,these are two new ones,so a fresh start and a warm welcome should be given to them. If you have any problems with their moderation over the coming while,I'm sure you can address the issues with them.

Why the sensitive reaction and subsequent escalation of what was only intended as helpful advice at an early stage?

Im only offering advice, Im certainly not havin a go at any one.

That's alright,I can see how you thought she meant it as a threat,but she was just messing,being friendly as she's a new moderator. Hardly the best welcome she could have recieved. Whatever you think about any old moderators on the forum,these are two new ones,so a fresh start and a warm welcome should be given to them. If you have any problems with their moderation over the coming while,I'm sure you can address the issues with them.

A sensitive reaction by me or magnumlady?

Er: Quote: "Hardly the best welcome she could have recieved." etc....
    A sensitive reaction by me or magnumlady?

I didn't have a sensitive reaction or escalate anything. I was merely saying to give them a chance,that any problems with old moderators have nothing to do with the new mods.
    And I stand by what I said,it wasn't the best welcome she could have recieved,but I didn't take it in a touchy way or anything,it was just an observation.

Greetings: Both Irish Stew and Magnum Lady have been around Boards.ie long enough to know the ropes, and have observed what has sometimes gone on.

I'm trying to be helpful as I know that they are taking on a new extended role. But it is a different role. Theres an opportunity to improve what goes on here.

If you felt that I waded in with my size 10 boots on, well thats not how it was intended. I dont think Magnum lady needs any defending either. I wasnt having a go, far from it. I like being direct and honest and as helpful as I can be.

I didn't have a sensitive reaction or escalate anything. I was merely saying to give them a chance,that any problems with old moderators have nothing to do with the new mods.
    And I stand by what I said,it wasn't the best welcome she could have recieved,but I didn't take it in a touchy way or anything,it was just an observation.

That's alright cityman I understand you didn't mean any harm,and just wanted to get your point across. I think we just had a misinterpretation of our points:I wasn't taking anything sensitively and I know that you just want to make sure that certain instances don't occur again. We'll agree on that.

For sure, thats all it was about. That'll do for me. all the best!
    That's alright cityman I understand you didn't mean any harm,and just wanted to get your point across. I think we just had a misinterpretation of our points:I wasn't taking anything sensitively and I know that you just want to make sure that certain instances don't occur again. We'll agree on that.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Lucy Lu

This thread is to welcome the new Mods. NOT to discuss how they should mod or to start bickering.

Back on topic, please.

Lucy.

Advertisement