Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I change to one of these?

• 03-09-2010 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi, I live in Northern Ireland and I've got a privately bought/owned from new March 2008 Mazda6 2 litre diesel with 29k miles. I've had a few quotes of it's current value from dealers and they say approx £9,500. I am getting restless to change my car, but I don't want to add more than £5k or so with the p/x. Anyhow, there are deals at the moment for both a Renault Laguna 1.5 HDI Dynamique tomtom version, which is very well-specced and costing £14,500 new ... and a Citroen C5 Saloon 1.6 HDi 110 VTR for approx £15k new.

I just have this nagging feeling that both those French brands are a backward step from the Mazda ...

WHAT WOULD YOU DO? :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

Keep the Mazda, the Laguna is a horrid looking thing and the Citroen, well not going to be as long lasting as the Mazda.

Look at other brands, there's lots to choose from if you've cash in your pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Diamonddec

Sound advice I know ... thanks. :) I have looked at other brands and discounted them:

Ford Mondeo ... Not enough style, and due a facelift in the next couple of months, so would date current model still further and ... the new model would be out of my price range.

Toyota Avensis ... can get a clearance 2 litre diesel D4D T2 new for £16K, but the styling is so very bland IMO.

Volkswagen Passat... can get a 2010 low mileage (under 10,000) 2 litre diesel for around £15k, but again, it hasn't changed much in the last 5 years ... and ... there is a heavy facelift due in the new year, so once again, will quickly date current shape.

Skoda Octavia ... I'm no badge snob and would certainly buy a Skoda, but the Octavia shape is the same as the older (5 years old in fact) Passat. The Superb ain't bad, but really too big for my needs ... and my garage!

Vauxhall Insignia... I quite like the shape of them, and there is a garage in Enniskillen currently selling the 2 litre 160 Exclusiv for £15995. (offer 2) However, I test drove a couple last week and TBH, they didn't drive nearly as well as my Mazda, though the interior is classy and comprehensive.....

Apart from updating my Mazda6, (which I don't wanna do) there isn't much choice left...

I have fleetingly thought about downsizing and getting an ex demo 3 month old Seat Leon 2 litre diesel with about 2k miles on the clock for about £12.5k, but the wife reckons it'll look bad to the neighbours ... like we've fallen on hard times! LOL! :rolleyes:

Your suggestion of keeping the Mazda looks more appealing all things considered ... :)

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd second keeping the Mazda. At 2 years old/29k miles, is there any reason to change it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'd second keeping the Mazda. At 2 years old/29k miles, is there any reason to change it?

It's a 2 Litre Diesel Mazda 6 - I'd get rid of it before it becomes a very expensive paperweight!

Laguna is getting a facelift shortly as well. Current stock models are likely to be the last of the current model.

Any decent deals on ex. demo Accord's? If it's in budget, would certainly be worth considering.

Or, the Octy VRs is always worth a mention :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

R.O.R wrote: »
    It's a 2 Litre Diesel Mazda 6 - I'd get rid of it before it becomes a very expensive paperweight!
    Fair enough, I hadn't thought of that!

• Advertisement

Bodhan wrote: »
    and the Citroen, well not going to be as long lasting as the Mazda.

My uncle as a rep is on his 2nd C5, put 90K miles on the first no bother, new one (an 09) I think has been faultless too. Savage comfy car with a great interior. I'd class a Mazda 6 as dirt compared to one.

Well, I'm just back from test driving the Renault Laguna. It's OK, just OK. It's the extensive kit list that makes it appealing, but the drive is nowhere near as enjoyable as my Mazda... then again it was only the 1.5 diesel (110). And ... it's actually a bit dated looking, TBH. The salesman reckons it's less than halfway through it's 7 year lifecycle, so there won't be a new Laguna until 2014!!!!!! So that's ruled out at least. I've set up a test drive in the Citroen C5 tomorrow as well.

No, I don't have to change the Mazda, it's just that after 2 1/2 years, I fancy a change. As I mentioned before, the dealers are averaging around £9.5k for my px, and I've also been told that it'll lose about £150 per month from here on for the next 18 months or so, so thought it would be timely to change now.

Looked briefly at Accords, but out of my price range. I saw a March 2010 with 7,000 on the clock for £19,000, meaning about £10k to change, whereas, I'm thinking £6k max! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Diamonddec wrote: »
    Hi, I live in Northern Ireland and I've got a privately bought/owned from new March 2008 Mazda6 2 litre diesel with 29k miles. I've had a few quotes of it's current value from dealers and they say approx £9,500. I am getting restless to change my car, but I don't want to add more than £5k or so with the p/x. Anyhow, there are deals at the moment for both a Renault Laguna 1.5 HDI Dynamique tomtom version, which is very well-specced and costing £14,500 new ... and a Citroen C5 Saloon 1.6 HDi 110 VTR for approx £15k new.

I just have this nagging feeling that both those French brands are a backward step from the Mazda ...

WHAT WOULD YOU DO? :(

I changed from a Mazda6 to a new model Citroen C5 and was delighted with the improvement.

I changed from a Mazda6 to a new model Citroen C5 and was delighted with the improvement.

That's very interesting! :) ... Which spec/engine did you go for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, did you look at the 2.0 CDTi (160bhp) Vauxhall/Opel Insignia? I reckon it is the best car in it's class at the moment. They look very tasty in Elite trim with metalic black.

• Advertisement

That's very interesting! :) ... Which spec/engine did you go for?

I had the 1.8 petrol (hey, I got a good deal!) Dynamique model. This was the equivalent at the time of the UK VTR+ model (note: NOT the VTR). This has now been replaced in the UK by the VTR+ Nav model. I would not go for the VTR model as this is pretty basic - stretch to the VTR+ Nav which has a lot of nice kit. One thing not apparent from photos - although cloth, the seat material is actually really nice on VTR+ models - very 'luxurious'. (This material is not on the VTR I think BTW).

bazz26 wrote: »
    OP, did you look at the 2.0 CDTi (160bhp) Vauxhall/Opel Insignia?

Hi Bazz... yes I did look at the Insignia, which is on offer at one of the dealers in Enniskillen (see my 2nd post of this thread). TBH, that would have been my 1st choice, as I still think the shape is pretty fresh and the interior is nice, but the drive didn't compare with my Mazda somehow. It's hard to explain, but it just didn't handle as well, with a lack of feedback and vagueish, light steering. Also, the engine was a tad noisy IMO. It hasn't put me off it completely, but dampened my initial ardour! :(

Cheers Padraig Mor. :) Will look at the differences in the VTR and VTR+ spec when I go to the Citroen dealers tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Volkswagen Passat... can get a 2010 low mileage (under 10,000) 2 litre diesel for around £15k, but again, it hasn't changed much in the last 5 years ... and ... there is a heavy facelift due in the new year, so once again, will quickly date current shape.

I have to say I hate the look of the upcoming facelifted Passat that's coming. Looks far too much like the current Golf for my tastes, and I just don't like Golfs.

Personally I prefer the look of my current 06 one, but even the B5.5 (previous model) is still around in large numbers and still looks well. Though I always laugh when I see a last-gen Skoda Superb and think "don't you feel silly having bought a new car that looks mostly identical to one that was out in 2001" - or 1997 if you include the B5 :)

Maybe I just like big boring saloons? :p

Anyway, I reckon a 10 model Passat would be a good buy as it has the newer CR engine, the issues SHOULD have been ironed out, and I hear they've thrown a load of extras at it being the last one?

Well, I'm just back from test driving the Renault Laguna. It's OK, just OK. It's the extensive kit list that makes it appealing, but the drive is nowhere near as enjoyable as my Mazda... then again it was only the 1.5 diesel (110). And ... it's actually a bit dated looking, TBH. The salesman reckons it's less than halfway through it's 7 year lifecycle, so there won't be a new Laguna until 2014!!!!!! :(

There's a new looking Laguna due this year, it's at the Paris motor show, picture attached, dealers! :D

There's a new looking Laguna due this year, it's at the Paris motor show, picture attached, dealers! :D

W T Fack? :mad: ... I'm p****d at that dealer! :mad: I explicitly asked him this morning if they were selling the Laguna's off because there was a new model/facelift happening soon ... and as such, I would be facked off if I bought one and a newer design came out in the next few months. He looked me square in the eyes, and without even a hint of a sly snigger, said "No ... nothing, not even halfway through 7 year life-cycle......"!

Coincidentally Bodhan, I had just found out about this update when you posted!... http://www.zercustoms.com/news/2011-Renault-Laguna-Facelift.html

Frigging Dealers ... they would sell their grannies ... *****! :mad:

With the Laguna facelift happening shortly... (frigging lying dealer) :mad: ... I've just been thinking about my visit to Citroen tomorrow to test drive the C5. That too is in its' 3rd year now, so surely a makeover must be imminent, although I cannot find anything on t'web ... except for mention of a DS5 model in 2011... I wonder if I should ask the Citroen dealer? :( :mad: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

R.O.R wrote: »

Amen, +1000

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

With the Laguna facelift happening shortly... (frigging lying dealer) :mad: ... I've just been thinking about my visit to Citroen tomorrow to test drive the C5. That too is in its' 3rd year now, so surely a makeover must be imminent, although I cannot find anything on t'web ... except for mention of a DS5 model in 2011... I wonder if I should ask the Citroen dealer? :( :mad: :rolleyes:

There's no press release about a new C5, it came out in 2007ish so expect a face lift version next year. Keep in mind a car gets a face lift about 3-4 years into a life cycle, with a new model around 5-6 year mark.

The C5 is a lovely looking car, you'll be very comfortable with the big seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

W T Fack? :mad: ... I'm p****d at that dealer! :mad: I explicitly asked him this morning if they were selling the Laguna's off because there was a new model/facelift happening soon ... and as such, I would be facked off if I bought one and a newer design came out in the next few months. He looked me square in the eyes, and without even a hint of a sly snigger, said "No ... nothing, not even halfway through 7 year life-cycle......"!

Coincidentally Bodhan, I had just found out about this update when you posted!... http://www.zercustoms.com/news/2011-Renault-Laguna-Facelift.html

Frigging Dealers ... they would sell their grannies ... *****! :mad:

While dealers should be upfront about things like this, buyers need to do their homework too. It's so easy nowadays and theres no excuse for taking salespeople at face value (it's hard to know the honest ones before you deal with them). At the end of the day they are going to have pre facelift ones left coming up to and even after the change unless they have been very good with their orders and they need to shift them. At that stage the only people going to buy them will be someone who prefers the look of the pre facelift.

As a rule of thumb 7 years is roughly a models lifespan with a mid model facelift at 4-6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sikie

I wouldn't be waiting for a new Laguna Renault wouldn't have a good track record in my mind of having flawless launches of their new models

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Sikie wrote: »
    I wouldn't be waiting for a new Laguna Renault wouldn't have a good track record in my mind of having flawless launches of their new models

Facelift =/= New model. The current model is around since 2007 without issue.

Also, they were making cars before 2001 :)

FWIW heres everything honestjohn has in its "whats bad" section for the Laguna:

What's Bad
    Feedback welcome.

What to Watch Out For
    Feedback welcome.

UPDATE:

Went to Citroen garage this morning to test drive a C5. Firstly I drove a 1.6 HDI VTR+. I was very impressed with the flexibility of the engine, seeing as it is just 110bhp... and so quiet too! :) ... Then, the rep asked if I wanted to drive a 2.0 ... so I did ... amd preferred it, solely because on the odd occasion I like to put my foot down.:rolleyes: Anyhow, I was well impressed with the high levels of spec ... superb ... and refinement!

Call me impulsive, but I ended up buying a May 2009, one owner (Citroen) 2.0 litre EXCLUSIVE (tons of kit) with 18000 miles for £13450.

Well pleased and pick her up on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

Congrats. The C5 is a sweet car. Did you the the messaging seats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I've always thought that if I was spending someone else's money I'd love a 2.0HDi C5 with a bit of spec. Its a lovely car, nice and comfortable too. Well wear. :)

Thanks guys! ;) Not sure about massaging seats! :eek: ... The wife did say that her arse was warm after driving it, so they might be heated though!... The dealer was decent enough and offered me a weekend test. As it happens, my mind was pretty much made up after 5 minutes in the car... However, I had the car for about 5 hours, drove the 35 miles to my house, made sure it fit in my garage :o, let the wife have a blast and got her final OK (just so she feels like she makes the big decisions) :rolleyes: ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

If it has massaging seats there should be buttons to activate/set it down on the base of the seat to the right. They should be quite visable to you when your sitting in the seat.

They're a great addition to a car if you have them - delivered a C5 to a customer last year with it and it was a great drive!

Well wear!

Well wear!

Cheers fella! :)

Keep it between the hedges OP, best of luck with it!

• Advertisement

Keep it between the hedges OP, best of luck with it!

Cheers, I'll try :( ... and thanks for your comments on this thread! :)

Hi guys ... picked up the C5 on Wednesday and so far very pleased...

citr1.jpg

citr3.jpg

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post on this thread! :)

Very nice Dec, enjoy it. You made the right choice, now you just gotta keep it that shiny :D

Very nice Dec, enjoy it. You made the right choice, now you just gotta keep it that shiny :D

Cheers! :) ... It's gonna be hard ... I got her on Wednesday night, (first black car) washed her on Thursday, washed her yesterday and spent 4 hours today washing, polishing and buffing! :( ... wanting to make sure she was looking her best when friends and family came calling ... Now the honeymoon is officially over and she'll be lucky to see a damp rag every fortnight until next summer! :D

Advertisement