Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nairobi via Ballybricken Odats' 3 month Kenyan Adventures Blog

• 03-09-2010 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Well lads,

Basically I'm off to Kenya for 3 and a bit months from Monday 6th September primarily based in Nairobi as a voluntary financial accountant setting up an accounting system for an Irish charity. Something to beat the recession in a positive way I suppose.
    Anyway I've created a blog which I will be updating while I'm over there with pictures etc on a regular basis.

The link is http://nairobiviaballybricken.blogspot.com

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Could you do something for the local Irish.headbanger.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

nice one op

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Good stuff Stephen. Look forward to reading it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Best of luck Stephen. I can imagine it'll be an amazing experience and look forward to seeing you back on the Emerald Isle for some Boards Beerage :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

marlin vs wrote: »
    Could you do something for the local Irish.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Odats wrote: »
    Well lads,

Basically I'm off to Kenya for 3 and a bit months from Monday 6th September primarily based in Nairobi as a voluntary financial accountant setting up an accounting system for an Irish charity. Something to beat the recession in a positive way I suppose.
    Anyway I've created a blog which I will be updating while I'm over there with pictures etc on a regular basis.

The link is http://nairobiviaballybricken.blogspot.com

Good for you. I think you mentioned on another thread that you have to give up your dole payments for this. I really think you should be allowed keep them for the 3 months since the govt would be paying it if you stayed, but this way the image of Ireland abroad is improved, you are helping people, improving your skills (which will help you get a job and so lower unemployment when you come back).

I hope your blog will encourage those with other skills (nursing, engineering etc) that are unemployed to do something similar.

I am surprised thought that an accounting qualification travels so well. Is it just because its for an Irish charity, so they use Irish accounting rules?

Could you do something for the local Irish.

Could you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

dayshah wrote: »
    Good for you. I think you mentioned on another thread that you have to give up your dole payments for this. I really think you should be allowed keep them for the 3 months since the govt would be paying it if you stayed, but this way the image of Ireland abroad is improved, you are helping people, improving your skills (which will help you get a job and so lower unemployment when you come back).

It's a nice sentiment, but the conditions of dole state that you must be available for work and actively seeking employment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Seriously?!!!!

Best of luck Steven, keep us posted.

gscully wrote: »
    It's a nice sentiment, but the conditions of dole state that you must be available for work and actively seeking employment.

I know, but you can be on a FÁS course and get the dole. As someone (I think Odats) mentioned on a different thread, FÁS courses aren't really designed for graduates. So I think the govt should treat this as similar to a FÁS course.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Good on ya mate..

Kenya is amazing, I only spend a week there but Nairobi is a great spot, just watch yer wallet, dont wear any jewellery in view and get a taxi anywhere you're going in the evening as even the locals avoid the city at night..

Apart from that its cool, the markets are great too.. :)

Enjoy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

I really do hope the New Irish can get involved in this. It's something they can easily turn their hand to as most of them are very highly qualified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

Best of luck with it Steve, keeps us up to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Anyone remember the hit song Naoirobi by Waterford band Neuro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Well lads first two posts are up on the blog. The Matatu (Kenyan communal taxi) experience today was abit of an eye opener today. Getting stuck into the work tomorrow now that the office and computer is set up. We're two hours ahead over here so following the Ireland match on the soccer forum as haven't enough bandwidth for a stream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,687 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Odats wrote: »
    Well lads first two posts are up on the blog. The Matatu (Kenyan communal taxi) experience today was abit of an eye opener today. Getting stuck into the work tomorrow now that the office and computer is set up. We're two hours ahead over here so following the Ireland match on the soccer forum as haven't enough bandwidth for a stream.

There used be a joke (possibly not a joke) that the matatu drivers only put a few shillings-worth of petrol in their cars because if it crashed the petrol would be wasted...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Good stuff will have a read now. Maybe throw the link to the blog into your sig so people don't have to go up to the first post as the thread gets longer?

Well lads,

I posted two more posts on my blog. Just letting everyone know who isn't getting the facebook alerts. Internet isn't the May West over here so have time today to get decent connection. Not homesick or anything and learning new skills every day both domestically and professionally.
    My TV shows from home better arrive in the post tomorrow. That's the only thing to keep you occupied in the evenings apart from the gym.
    Looking at heading to Zanzibar at the end of Oct early Nov for a few days. Supposed to be fantastic and when in Rome I suppose make the most of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

Hey I'm in Nairobi, been living here a few months, would you like to meet up for a pint sometime?? I'm from down the road (Clonmel).

PM sent with details.

• Advertisement
Advertisement