Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lidl s dog food??

• 03-09-2010 12:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

has anyone ever tried the lidl dog food not the tinned stuff but the dry complete .have bein tempted to try it but. usually when you pay much less you get much less. just wanted to here if anyone has tried iti have my fella on the red mills leader range adult large breed . would you have to give way more of the lidl food as to the more expensive stuff??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭buckshotbrolan

pokertalk wrote: »
    has anyone ever tried the lidl dog food not the tinned stuff but the dry complete .have bein tempted to try it but. usually when you pay much less you get much less. just wanted to here if anyone has tried iti have my fella on the red mills leader range adult large breed . would you have to give way more of the lidl food as to the more expensive stuff??

I have never tried it myself but the dogs love it! I give them the same amount as any other brand. They have nice healthy poo from it so I would say give it a go, you and your dogs will love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

They say german standards of dog food are better but after seeing the ingredients list of lidl dog food on another thread personally I wouldn't feed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

It depends on which dog food you are talking about. I dont use the soft food and I have tried the dog nuts in the red and orange bags. My dog doesnt like that cheap nuts. I give my dog the black and white bag of Opti Dog dog nuts and she loves it. She is also looking healthy after eating the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

I use the Opti dog nuts as well. It works out about 20 euro for 15kg. I have 7 dogs on it. But I also occasionally throw in sardines in oil or tuna etc.
    I have a german shepard, 2 poodles,1 parsons, beligan shepard and 2 mutts.
    All there coats are lovely and poos are nice and small,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

Steve30x wrote: »
    It depends on which dog food you are talking about. I dont use the soft food and I have tried the dog nuts in the red and orange bags. My dog doesnt like that cheap nuts. I give my dog the black and white bag of Opti Dog dog nuts and she loves it. She is also looking healthy after eating the food.
    think that stuff is only a mixer in the orange bag . yeah im talking about the opti-dog would nt give my dog any cans of any brand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Our previous old cairn terrier developed a rash after eating the Lidl brand dry food so we never tried it again

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

Hey guys, just found this thread as I see Lidl have the Optidog as part of the Super Saturday and was looking around for reviews.

I was thinking of trying it out as part of a mixer with the Purina Beta food. Have a 4 month old Lab.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I personally would not feed my dogs any type of dog food from Lidl, its not good quality at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Feeding your dog on Lidl dog food would be like you feeding your family on Tesco Value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I have done when stuck. The one with the dodgy belly does well on it, the other gets constipated. I use it when stuck in preferance to Pedigree, but I wouldn't feed it long term.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

kylith wrote: »
    I have done when stuck. The one with the dodgy belly does well on it, the other gets constipated. I use it when stuck in preferance to Pedigree, but I wouldn't feed it long term.

My.brother fed his on he same stuff for a few weeks and hairs started falling out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

I'd rather buy myself soup instead of steak so I can buy my dogs proper food. sounds extreme but I can choose what I eat, they cant.
    Stay away from any cheap food it will cost you more in vet bills anyway and will reduce your pet's life expectancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

I have never tried it myself but the dogs love it! I give them the same amount as any other brand. They have nice healthy poo from it so I would say give it a go, you and your dogs will love it!

my dogs love it aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

My dogs have eaten it since Ive had them, they love it and are perfectly healthy. No need to buy expensive food, they are dogs after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

Steve30x wrote: »

Same here.... for my staffy. I have tried all different types of foods at different price ranges and she loves this one most and looks good for it too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

Feeding your dog on Lidl dog food would be like you feeding your family on Tesco Value.

This is not at all true... Lidl and Aldi buy all the top brand/sellers and package as there own. Its all top notch stuff.

falabo wrote: »
    Stay away from any cheap food it will cost you more in vet bills anyway and will reduce your pet's life expectancy.

Ridiculous and scaremongering toward people who dont know any better. Dogs have been living long happy lives well before the 1001 different brands of food came along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

falabo wrote: »
    will reduce your pet's life expectancy.
    Do you have any facts to back this up? I'm not going to argue that cheaper food is necessarily wholesome and well-balanced, but if you're going to claim that dogs raised in cheaper foods live shorter lives, then you're going to have to back that up with links and statistics.

This is not at all true... Lidl and Aldi buy all the top brand/sellers and package as there own. Its all top notch stuff.

Eh, i very much doubt it, have you even seen the food? Its full of artificial colours and flavours which isnt top notch.
    It isnt that cheap for no reason...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Or dressing them from Dunnes/Penney's.
    Not a bit of harm it will do them.

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    Eh, i very much doubt it, have you even seen the food? Its full of artificial colours and flavours which isnt top notch.
    It isnt that cheap for no reason...

Only additives in there are EC additives which are in most dog foods. Its obviously not as good as feeding your dog whatever organic stuff is the trend right now but to put it down is a bit much. Even if I could afford "top of the line" dog food I'd still feed them on the Lidl stuff with the exception of any special dietary needs of course.

**Vai** wrote: »
    Only additives in there are EC additives which are in most dog foods. Its obviously not as good as feeding your dog whatever organic stuff is the trend right now but to put it down is a bit much. Even if I could afford "top of the line" dog food I'd still feed them on the Lidl stuff with the exception of any special dietary needs of course.

What meat content is in it? Is it meat derivitives?

There is no organic stuff which is a trend. I feed the best quality i can afford but i just wouldnt feed my dogs any food found inthe supermarket as its very poor quality with low quality ingredients.
    I can see the colours of the food on the packaging and that is not quality im afraid. Looks similar to Bakers, Pedigree etc which are all very low quality foods.

Low quality foods which have been feeding dogs for a long long time. Do u think every dog needs to be fed the expensive food in order to live long and happily?

As Ive said, my dogs are healthy and happy, they have never been given anything but the Lidl food and some meat mixed in a few times a week. It was good enough for dogs 20 years ago, its good enough for them today. If u can afford and want to feed yours the expensive stuff thats great but not everyone can and the Lidl food is perfectly acceptable.

Low quality foods which have been feeding dogs for a long long time. Do u think every dog needs to be fed the expensive food in order to live long and happily?

Did i say that? I was merely commenting on the food, which the thread is about.
    The op asked about the food and im giving my opinion on it. It is not a good quality food and i wouldnt recommend feeding it to a dog. There are much better foods out there for dogs than Lidl food.

Did i say that? I was merely commenting on the food, which the thread is about.
    The op asked about the food and im giving my opinion on it. It is not a good quality food and i wouldnt recommend feeding it to a dog. There are much better foods out there for dogs than Lidl food.

And I was merely asking a question, a question u still didnt answer.

Im sure there are better foods out there but personally I dont see the point, I think its more advertising of products that we dont need, we are told we need them but we dont. Thats my opinion.

I dont necessarily think a dog needs expensive food to live longer, but if someone asks my opinion or recommendation for a food i wouldnt recommend Lidl at all.

The food i feed my dogs isnt advertised like other brands but its a very high quality food.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Low quality foods which have been feeding dogs for a long long time.

It was good enough for dogs 20 years ago, its good enough for them today.

Sorry but dogs twenty years ago are not the same as the dogs we have now. Humans have unfortunately bred a lot of problems into dogs, including sensitive skin, sensitive digestion, heart problems etc. Twenty years ago Bakers was probably a great food too, but I wouldn't touch either of them with a ten foot barge pole. These foods are made by companies who make lots of different products, meaning the pet food trade is worth very little to them, so why would they strive around the clock to ensure that only the best of ingredients are going into them? Colourants and additives affect dogs in the same way that they affect us and I doubt everyone of us is going to eat macdonalds food every day of our lives becaue its cheap. No, because we know it isn't good for us. But the affects dont show immediately, as it wouldn't in dogs either.

Despite popular belief, dogs are carnivores and their primary food should have both a high quality and high quantity of meat.

Now I'm not saying go out and find the most expensive dog food you can, but I would reccomend people to always buy dog food that is at least made by a pet food company who dont make anything else. Because they're livelyhood depends on their food being good quality so it always will be.

Then again, this is just my opinion on the matter.
    @OP- Personally I would never feed aldi or lidl food to my dogs. If it is a cost thing, there are foods out there that are as cheap and dont have as many colourings and additives in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

If you want value for money and a fantastic Dog food.....

GAIN record Breaker @ terryland fruit & veg...Did great dela of research into it and its amazing stuff.. My dog gobbles it, and everytime before i feed him i sneak in a bite myself:D thats how good it smells and tastes..

Its packed with fish oils, calcium, zinc, magnessium, protein, good percentage of actual mea...i act cant get over how good it is....its irelands best kept secret haha

15kg for 25 euro!!!1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

As Ive said, my dogs are healthy and happy, they have never been given anything but the Lidl food and some meat mixed in a few times a week. It was good enough for dogs 20 years ago, its good enough for them today. If u can afford and want to feed yours the expensive stuff thats great but not everyone can and the Lidl food is perfectly acceptable.

I honestly don't think that complete dog foods such as the ones being discussed were on the market 20 years ago were they? I remember seeing kibble first in the mid 90s but it was made by Chudleys, a company that makes greyhound and working dog food and was a cereal kind of one that you added warm water to and let it stand before feeding to the dog. I can't say for sure that there wasn't kibble around before that, but I don't think there was. My dog when I was a kid was fed tinned dog food with mixer biscuits. Again, not a great food as about 50% of it is water.

I wouldn't recommend any food that is brightly coloured, as it obviously contained additives that dogs don't need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

I dont necessarily think a dog needs expensive food to live longer, but if someone asks my opinion or recommendation for a food i wouldnt recommend Lidl at all.

The food i feed my dogs isnt advertised like other brands but its a very high quality food.

What is it andrea?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement