Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lidl s dog food??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Where?

It's in Dublin on the Longmile Rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

andreac wrote: »
    I would not feed this to your dog if it puts on weight easily. This food is designed for racing greyhounds as they have a high energy level so need more protein to give them energy, but if you feed such to a dog who has a low energy level like your dog, then it will cause it to put on weight as its not using up the protein.
    Also high protein can make them bit hyper so i wouldnt recommend feeding it.

Gain do a range called Gain Big dog and have a senior one which has lower fat content so might suit your dog.
    http://www.gainfeeds.com/pet/senior

I have my Lab on the Gain Big dog senior aswell with his tendency to put on weight since he got neutered. He's grand on it now and the other girl is on the Gain Big dog Adult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Despite numerous threads on dog foods and what to feed and not to feed I am still none the wiser with some of the foods.
    For example Gain seems to be ok?? Yet red mills star is not, yet I cannot see much of a difference between the listed analyses on their websites. Gain in fact as no listed ingredients so does anyone know if it is actual meat or derivatives used and hence if it is good or bad.
    Then as I mentioned previously the RM Star and Tracker seem virtually the same food, yet Tracker is better quality.......why is this?
    So is it just protein v fat that makes a food good or bad or what exactly do people look to to make this determination?.

Below is the information on the manufacturers websites regarding these foods. So Redmills Leader is the only one I can see is actually made of chicken meat.

RM Leader
    Nutritional analysis
    Protein 20.00%
    Oil 12.00%
    Fibre 2.50%
    Ash 9.00%
    Vitamin A 10,000iu/kg
    Vitamin D3 1,300iu/kg
    Alpha Tocopherol (Vitamin E)180iu/kg
    Moisture Max 10%
    Copper 15mg/kg
    Selenium 0.03%

Ingredients (in descending order by weight)
    Ingredients: Dehydrated Chicken Meat (20% Min), Maize, Rice, Poultry Fat, Dehulled Oats, Linseed, Fishmeal, Beet Pulp, Savoury Chicken Gravy, Minerals And Vitamins, Chicory Extract, Yeast Extract

RM Star

Nutritional analysis
    Protein 20.0%
    Oil 6.0%
    Fibre 3.5%
    Ash 8.0%
    Vitamin A 14,000iu/kg
    Vitamin D3 2,000iu/kg
    Alpha Tocopherol (Vitamin E) 200mg/kg
    Copper 15mg/kg
    Moisture (max) 10.0%

Cereals, Meat And Animal Derivatives, Minerals, Oils And Fats, Derivatives Of Vegetable Origin, Fish And Fish Derivatives, Chicory Extract, Yeast Extract

RM Tracker

Nutritional analysis
    Protein 20.0%
    Oil 8.0%
    Fibre 2.3%
    Ash 7.0%
    Moisture (max) 10.0%
    Vit A 15000IU/Kh
    Vit D3 2000IU/Kh
    Alpha Tocopherol (Vit E) 200IU/Kh
    Copper 15mg/kg
    Selenium 0.1mg/kg
    BHA/BHT Antioxidant

Cereals, Meat and Animal Derivatives, Oils and Fats, Fish and Fish Derivatives, Derivatives of Vegetable Origin, Vegetable Protein Extracts, Minerals, Chicory Extract, Yeast Extract.

Gain Big Dogs Senior:
    Typical Analysis

Crude Protein %21.0
    Calcium %1.1
    Vitamin A iu/kg12,000
    Crude Oil %8.0
    Phosphorus %0.7
    Vitamin D3 iu/kg1,200
    Crude Fibre %3.0
    Omega-3 EFA %0.3
    Vitamin E iu/kg150
    Crude Ash %6.2
    Omega-6 EFA %2.0
    Copper mg/kg15

Contains EU approved antioxidants and preservatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

verywell wrote: »
    I got the adult complete food in the end. 21% protein and 10% oil

Fingers crossed he does not gain weight :(

EDIT: Just looked at the Royal Canin Netuered, which was what he was on, and that was 28% protein and 11% fat. Seem fairly close to each other?

28% is far too high protein your average dog, esp a neutered dog. I wouldnt even feed a pup 28%.
    You should be looking at 20-24% maximum protein.

If you see him gaining weight then reduce the amount you feed him in his daily portions. You would be surprised how little some dogs need to be fed. The recommended portions are only a guide and it should be adjusted to each dogs different needs, some need more, some need less.

PPINK:)
    The problem with the Star and tracker are the main ingredients. The fact that its derivitives is bad quality bits of meat, it could be any part of the animal and not good cuts of meat going into the food.
    You can see that the RM Leader doesnt have derivitives so straight away it is better quality.

• Advertisement

Thanks Andrea that what i was thinking but it is all so confusing sometimes:)

my vet said with derivatives they can use whatever derivatives are the cheapest at any given time. so if you are using the food and it seems ok then they can change the derivatives from say chicken to beef and it then may not necessarily suit your dog.

The gain I dont understand though as it is generally seen to be a good quality food I thought yet when I look it up i cannot get a list of ingredients only an analysis.......so if the protein is made of chicken this week it could be anything next week??

Gain is ok, its better than say Pedigree, Bakers etc but its not one of the better foods.
    Have you a budget for food and then we can recommend something for you in your price range maybe?
    What breed do you have again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭thebullkf

ppink wrote: »
    Despite numerous threads on dog foods and what to feed and not to feed I am still none the wiser with some of the foods.
    For example Gain seems to be ok?? Yet red mills star is not, yet I cannot see much of a difference between the listed analyses on their websites. Gain in fact as no listed ingredients so does anyone know if it is actual meat or derivatives used and hence if it is good or bad.
    Then as I mentioned previously the RM Star and Tracker seem virtually the same food, yet Tracker is better quality.......why is this?
    So is it just protein v fat that makes a food good or bad or what exactly do people look to to make this determination?.

Below is the information on the manufacturers websites regarding these foods. So Redmills Leader is the only one I can see is actually made of chicken meat.

http://www.petfoodexpresstoyou.com/product_info.php?cPath=71&products_id=349

Fresh deboned wild boar, fresh deboned lamb, lamb meal, russet potato, fresh deboned pork, peas, salmon meal, whitefish meal*, herring meal, fresh deboned bison, fresh whole eggs, potato starch, fresh deboned salmon (a natural source of DHA and EPA), alfalfa, sweet potato, fresh deboned walleye, salmon oil (naturally preserved with vitamin E and citric acid), pea fiber, psyllium, pumpkin, tomatoes, carrots, apples, cranberries, Saskatoon berries, black currants, chicory root, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile flowers, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, organic kelp, vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, niacin, zinc proteinate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, vitamin B5, iron proteinate, vitamin B6, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12, selenium, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.

Analysis
    Modern dogs of all breeds are not only capable of eating the food of their wild ancestors, but actually require it for maximum health. High protein and low carbohydrate, ORIJEN REGIONAL RED replicates the diet your dog would encounter in his natural environment.

Protein from premium red meat ingredients passed 'fit for human consumption', NOT plant proteins like potato or pea isolates, soy or glutens.

Long chain omega-3 (DHA, EPA) from fresh fish, NOT sunflower, flax or canola (ALA omega-3) which is not useable by dogs and cats.

Calcium and phosphorus are moderate, balanced, and of natural source.

Fresh cartilage provides a natural, high source of glucosamine and chondroitin.

Veterinary selected botanicals soothe, nourish and tone the digestive tract while strengthening the liver.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
    Crude Protein (min.) 38.0%
    Crude Fat (min.) 18.0%
    Crude Fibre (max.) 3.0%
    Moisture (max.) 10.0%
    Calcium (min.) 1.7%
    Calcium (max.) 1.9%
    Phosphorus (min.) 1.2%
    Phosphorus (max. ) 1.4%
    *Omega-6 (min.) 3.0%
    *Omega-3 (min.) 0.8%
    DHA 0.5%
    EPA 0.2%
    *Carbohydrate (max.) 22.0%
    *Glucosamine (min.) 250 mg/kg
    *Chondroitin (min.) 100 mg/kg
    *Microorganisms (min.) 120M cfu/kg

BOTANICAL INCLUSIONS
    Chicory root 700 mg/kg
    Licorice root 500 mg/kg
    Angelica root 350 mg/kg
    Fenugreek 350 mg/kg
    Marigold flowers 350 mg/kg
    Sweet Fennel 350 mg/kg
    Peppermint leaf 300 mg/kg
    Chamomile flowers 300 mg/kg
    Dandelion root 150 mg/kg
    Summer savory 150 mg/kg

VITAMINS
    Vitamin A 15 kIU/kg
    Vitamin D3 2000 kIU/kg
    Vitamin E 200 IU/kg
    Vitamin B12 0.22 mg/kg
    Thiamine 50 mg/kg
    Riboflavin 40 mg/kg
    Niacin 200 mg/kg
    Pan. Acid 32 mg/kg
    Pyridoxine 26 mg/kg
    Biotin 0.83 mg/kg
    Folic Acid 3 mg/kg
    Choline 2700 mg/kg
    Ascorbic Acid 55 mg/kg
    Beta carotene 0.40 mg/kg

AMINO ACIDS
    Taurine 0.3 mg/kg
    T. Lysine 2.7%
    T. Threonine 1.65%
    T. Methionine 0.87%
    T. Isoleucine 1.60%
    T. Leucine 2.9%
    T. Valine 1.9%
    T. Arginine 2.9%
    T. Phen. 1.6%
    T. Histidine 0.85%
    T. Cystine 0.5%

MINERALS
    Sodium 0.4%
    Chloride 0.6%
    Potassium 0.65%
    Magnesium 0.10%
    Sulphur 0.4%
    Manganese 27 mg/kg
    Cobalt 0.47 mg/kg
    Iodine 3.5 mg/kg
    Selenium 0.35 mg/kg
    Iron 300 mg/kg
    Zinc 204 mg/kg
    Copper 21 mg/kg

Calories
    A BIOLOGICALLY APPROPRIATE CALORIE DISTRIBUTION

There are 3 sources of calories in all dog foods - protein, fat & carbohydrates.

Protein and fat are essential, carbohydrates are not. While dogs thrive on proteins and fats, they require absolutely no carbohydrate in their diet.

Simple carbohydrates cause blood sugar levels to elevate and fluctuate.

When not used for energy, carbohydrates are stored in the body as fat.

Carbohydrates are the leading dietary cause of overweight conditions in dogs.

By providing more calories from protein and fewer calories from carbohydrate, ORIJEN reduces the risk of obesity, insulin resistance and diabetes.

CALORIE CONTENT & DISTRIBUTION
    ORIJEN REGIONAL RED has a Metabolizable Energy (ME) of 3990 kcal/kg or 475 kcal per 250ml cup (120g). Calories are distributed to promote peak physical conditioning with 38% from protein, 22% from fruit & vegetables and 40% from fat.

NUTRITIONAL GUARANTEE
    ORIJEN REGIONAL RED is formulated to meet nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for ALL LIFE STAGES

Feeding
    High protein & low carbohydrate, ORIJEN REGIONAL RED mirrors the foods Nature intended dogs eat, and naturally benefits dogs of all breeds and sizes.

PREGNANCY:
    Increase food by 10% in week 7, and 20% during weeks 8 and 9.

LACTATION:
    Increase food by 50% and feed 3 or 4 times daily.

ORIJEN REGIONAL RED benefits dogs of all breeds and ages. As each dog is unique feeding amounts will vary. Use this chart as an initial guide and adjust feeding amounts accordingly. Feed twice daily and provide fresh clean water at all times.

Remember, maintaining proper body weight contributes to good health and longevity - a healthy dog is lean and athletic.

I have GSD's and some little mixtures :)

I am on my own chicken and brown rice now with veggies and fruit.

I had used tracker for a while but it all went pear shaped which I am thinking was the whole derivative thing. I did not understand about the derivatives until recently.

i have tried Leader, Proplan, Hills, James Wellbeloved and a few others I cant remember right now and each one led to diareahh. I had introduced thema tiny bit at a time (less than 10 nuts), so now I am just doing my own to see how that goes.
    my budget was blown out of the water when they started to get sick:rolleyes:. so now the important thing for me is to settle them both (GSD's).

OP not trying to hijack here but i think this whole derivative thing may be important and I am sure lidl/aldi foods are derivatives too.

BulkF

so that ORIJEN has 38% protein but generally the advice on here is not too feed too much protein or the dog will be climbing the walls i thought??

I always thought it was carbs that gave energy...in people it is carbs you eat for energy?

I always stayed away from high protein foods as mine (one in particular) need to take it easy due to injury/illness. maybe that was not the right thing to do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭claire2010

jayo11 wrote: »
    how do you know that your dog loves the lidl dog food claire,are you communicating in some manner with your dog,would love to know how you do that.please dont tell me you bring your kids to mcdonalds how disgusting :(

Fair enough it may not be the healthiest dog food out there but I am a student and have not got the money to buy expensive food. She is 7 years old now, normal weight and gets walked twice a day. She gets a checkup twice a year. She loves brekkie and din dins so I will be sticking with lidl dog food for now :)

BulkF

so that ORIJEN has 38% protein but generally the advice on here is not too feed too much protein or the dog will be climbing the walls i thought??

I always thought it was carbs that gave energy...in people it is carbs you eat for energy?

I always stayed away from high protein foods as mine (one in particular) need to take it easy due to injury/illness. maybe that was not the right thing to do?

tbh i don't know:o

I wanted to buy this food last year-18mths ago but it was hard to get,and dear.
    Its been voted Dog food of the year 2 years running,contains the best of ingredients,and is lauded in a lot of places....

the price has increased with the exposure its gotten...the fish version is 100e for 13.5kg:eek:

I can't afford it,but in relation to the eergy question-my dogs are walked saily,sometimes twice,and have plenty of room to tire each other out,so if one doesn't exercise ones dog,it doesn't matter what you feed them,they'll have too much protein . A dogs life isn't meant to be sedentary.(not saying you don't walk yours;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

The gain I dont understand though as it is generally seen to be a good quality food I thought yet when I look it up i cannot get a list of ingredients only an analysis.......so if the protein is made of chicken this week it could be anything next week??

I checked out Gain dog foods before. I sent a couple of emails to them and these are the responses I got. There foods are made of derivatives.

Email 1
    =====
    Hi Paul,

Thanks for your interest in our products. If you want a single product for your 2 year old and 7 year old then our Gain Complete, Gain Crunchy,Gain Muesli or Gain Adult would all be suitable. Gain Adult is slightly higher in price than the others, as it contains a prebiotic to help digestive function, improve stool consistency and reduce unpleasant odours. The ingredient listing for all Irish manufactured products are in categories and the declaration for Gain Adult is: Cereals, meat and animal derivatives, derivatives of vegetable origin, vegetable protein extracts, oils and fats, minerals, vitamins. Gain Junior is a high energy product, formulated specifically for pups and growing dogs, from before weaning until adulthood. This product would be ideal for your 14 week old pup. If you need any more information please let me know.

Regards,
    John Fox
    Gain Pet Food Sales Manager
    Phone: +353 (0)87 2581399
    Fax: +353 (0)56 7750514

www.gainfeeds.com

Email 2
    =====
    Hi Paul,

The only products with the full list of ingredients listed are our US-manufactured greyhound products, Gain Record Breaker and Gain Puppy & Sapling (see website). All the products manufactured in Ireland and the UK have ingredient categories eg. "Meat and Animal Derivatives" could be beef, chicken, lamb etc. "Cereals" could be wheat, maize, rice etc.
    We use a combination of beef and chicken in most of our products. We tend to use a combination of maize and wheat, with rice in some of the products.

If you want to be reassured by having the ingredients listed in descending order, then you should go for Gain Record Breaker. It has fresh chicken as the main ingredient and is a fraction of the price of similar quality products on the market. However, if your dogs are not active then the protein level may be a little high (28%).

If your dogs are large breed (over 20kg), then you should consider our BigDogs range. Our US nutritionists formulated this range of products for us, and they are proving very popular with large breed owners

Regards,
    John Fox
    Gain Pet Food Sales Manager
    Phone: +353 (0)87 2581399
    Fax: +353 (0)56 7750514
    www.gainfeeds.com

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Didn't know much about Gain before now, but definitely going nowere near it now. Derivatives, high percentage of cereals and fresh meat:rolleyes:. Fresh meat is 80% water, so the actual meat content is about 20%, if even, of what the ingredients list it as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Something to consider though maybe, is this word derivatives. I believe that research shows that man and dog became so entwined because we had a symbiotic relationship, we were useful to them, and they were useful to us. Part of this was that man would eat the meat and throw the rest of the animal to the dogs, so they were eating the bones, feet, head etc. So is it really any harm that they still eat that, albeit processed into this dry food? I could be totally wrong of course, but it kind of makes sense to me.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

ISDW wrote: »
    Something to consider though maybe, is this word derivatives. I believe that research shows that man and dog became so entwined because we had a symbiotic relationship, we were useful to them, and they were useful to us. Part of this was that man would eat the meat and throw the rest of the animal to the dogs, so they were eating the bones, feet, head etc. So is it really any harm that they still eat that, albeit processed into this dry food? I could be totally wrong of course, but it kind of makes sense to me.

I can see where you're coming from, but I have to believe that dogs were eating meat as well back then, and not just the derivatives or I just cant see how they would have been healthy. It's kind of the same as us now eating the food that we ate those thousands of years ago; willing to bet it wouldn't be too good for us either:D

i think back then though, using your analogy-the derivitives where whole derivitives,and more than likely fresh-ish. the ****e put into certain dog foods is pure offal,mixed animal carcasses,and generally the bits that are of no other viable use-(i believe)
    i know dogs will eat anything anyway. i suppose its everyones choice really, though budget usually dictates unfortunately. Once a dog is exercised,housed,fed and watered,and checked regularly then i don't believe its a major issue once good intentions are used. I try the best for mine,i really do. i might not afford the best for trhem,but i certainly buy the best i can afford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

jayo11 wrote: »
    and dog food every other day obviously.what a cheap skate anyways coming on here askin bout lidl dogfood cant afford to feed dogs then dont have any..simples :rolleyes:
    fresh meat and veg is hardly cheaper than any dog food mongo:rolleyes:
    works out costing more and i have already said what i feed my dogs in my original post

Yes I think you are right. I have no problem with derivatives as such. The issue I have is that if a dog food company has a food labeled with derivatives they will be using the cheapest derivatives they can get, if that is chicken this week and beef next week. That means the food can actually be changing all the time even though you think you are feeding the same kibble.

I had this confirmed to be by a rep from a company that sells foods with derivatives in it. He said it whatever is the cheapest at that time goes in there.
    you know they way everyone says stick to one food and if you are changing it do it really slowly over a week or two.....well if you are feeding food with derivatives it could be changing lots of times without you even knowing?

Paulf- thanks for the Gain info, I was wondering about it too and they are interesting mails they sent you. That means that even the "cereals" can be differeing proportions at any given time but can still come under the heading "cereal"?

Yes I think you are right. I have no problem with derivatives as such. The issue I have is that if a dog food company has a food labeled with derivatives they will be using the cheapest derivatives they can get, if that is chicken this week and beef next week. That means the food can actually be changing all the time even though you think you are feeding the same kibble.

I had this confirmed to be by a rep from a company that sells foods with derivatives in it. He said it whatever is the cheapest at that time goes in there.
    you know they way everyone says stick to one food and if you are changing it do it really slowly over a week or two.....well if you are feeding food with derivatives it could be changing lots of times without you even knowing?

Paulf- thanks for the Gain info, I was wondering about it too and they are interesting mails they sent you. That means that even the "cereals" can be differeing proportions at any given time but can still come under the heading "cereal"?

That is a very valid point about changing of the meat, if it isn't specifically labelled. Again though, I wonder if we all get a bit hung up on things that maybe we shouldn't, if dogs are on a raw diet, they get different meats on different days. Huskies as a breed now are known to have notoriously 'difficult' stomachs, but I wonder how many of them that lived with the Chukchi people had the same food every day? I bet they, and other dogs' ancestors would have had whatever was available. This debate has been going on in a husky forum I go onto, and a couple of people on there have always changed their dogs food regularly, without that change over gradually and the dogs adapt no problem. Maybe you need to start doing it as they did from when the dogs were young pups? I think that we (humans) have made a problem for our dogs and ourselves, with all the processed food that we give them. I'm as guilty as anybody, but it just makes you think. I would love to feed my dogs raw, but it is hard to source where I live (enough for the volume of dogs that I have)

One thing to consider with the Lidls dog foods (back on topic) is that it will come from Germany, and their dog food regulations are stricter than ours here, so if you are going to feed a supermarket food, I think Lidls would probably be the one to go for:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I rehomed a dog (privately)
    He was on Lidl food....ad lib! I don't shop in supermarkets, so wanted to change foods.
    Since changing, he is eating less than half the quantity (means less out the other end :)), has put on weight (was too thin), coat is shinier.

I couldn't even do the transition from one food to other well, because he would pick out the bits of new food and leave the Lidl food.

I think many people don't factor in how much more of the poorer quality food you need to feed, so may not be much cheaper in the long run.

Does anyone know what is in the Lidl food? I looked online but could nto see a list of ingredients or an analysis.

It would be amusing if it was actually better quality than some of our "branded" derivative foods!

ISDW that is another good point about the changing meat....it is all so confusing!! and I think you are right, the processing is not good for man or dog.
    Raw is ideal (except I have a raw chicken phobia:o) but like you say very expensive, probably something to think of for the future when I get back to having a "normal" number of dogs:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Does anyone know what is in the Lidl food? I looked online but could nto see a list of ingredients or an analysis.

The Lidl Optidog has the following
    Protein 23%
    Oil: 9%
    Ash: 8%
    Fibre: 3%
    Calcium: 15,000mg/kg
    Vit A: 10,000Iu/kg
    Vit B: 50mg/kg
    Vit D3: 1500Iu/kg
    Copper as Copper Sulphate 12mg/kg

Ingredients
    Cereals (Maize 4% minimum), meat and animal derivatives (min 4% beef), oils and fats, derivatives of vegetable origin, minerals, vegetables (minimum of 4% in vegetable kibbles), Antioxidant (EC additive) Coloured and preserved with EC additives

Dacelonid wrote: »
    The Lidl Optidog has the following
    Protein 23%
    Oil: 9%
    Ash: 8%
    Fibre: 3%
    Calcium: 15,000mg/kg
    Vit A: 10,000Iu/kg
    Vit B: 50mg/kg
    Vit D3: 1500Iu/kg
    Copper as Copper Sulphate 12mg/kg

Ingredients
    Cereals (Maize 4% minimum), meat and animal derivatives (min 4% beef), oils and fats, derivatives of vegetable origin, minerals, vegetables (minimum of 4% in vegetable kibbles), Antioxidant (EC additive) Coloured and preserved with EC additives

Thanks for that. Doesnt look great then with the derivitives in it and also the coloured additives wouldnt be good either.
    Its not something i would feed my dogs or recommend other people to feed.

Thanks for that. Doesnt look great then with the derivitives in it and also the coloured additives wouldnt be good either.

I think the thing that really stands out for me is that cereals are the first ingredient listed, which means they are the biggest ingredient in it. I'm kind of ambivalent about meat derivatives, but I would expect them to be the first ingredient in any half way decent food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gedereco

I have ridgebacks and use to feed them james wellbeloved but use to scratch alot and f**t all the time, i tried lidl's dry food there coats are glossy and they don't scratch any where near like they use to. So it's not about price and top of the range , it's about whats right for your dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

it would have to be absolutely LAST RESOURCE for me to feed my dog this crap. James Wellbeloved all the way :-) and it costs pretty much the same cos they eat less of it and when www.zooplus.co.uk have a special offer I stock up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Dacelonid wrote: »
    Ingredients

I cannot help but notice how "specific" the list is (:rolleyes:) - everything seems to be very general. For example "cereals" - eh, which one(s) would that be (apart from the 4% Maize!)? And "oils and fats" - from what animal/vegetable? Or "minerals" - any more detail?

Not for me (or my dogs) I'm afraid - I'd sooner feed a boiled chicken breast, some brown rice and a few veg that the stuff listed above, if I was out of their normal stuff. At least I would know what I'm giving them!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

pokertalk wrote: »
    has anyone ever tried the lidl dog food not the tinned stuff but the dry complete .have bein tempted to try it but. usually when you pay much less you get much less. just wanted to here if anyone has tried iti have my fella on the red mills leader range adult large breed . would you have to give way more of the lidl food as to the more expensive stuff??

I buy my dog food online, but on one occasion I got caught while waiting for it to be delivered so decided to try the lidl food....not fun cleaning up the dog poo for the subsequent days!!

• Advertisement

so if the food is 4% beef, 4% veg and 4% derivatives where is the other 84% I wonder.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement