Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humane Pest Control

Options
  • 03-09-2010 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭

I've had a bit of a Google on this one, which turned up some interesting results (apparently electrocuting rats is more humane than impaling/squishing them with a metal bar), but I'm interested in hearing from people here too. Basically I'm looking for a vegan-friendly alternative to:

1) Rat traps
    2) Slug pellets
    3) Ant powder

Go :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

After some quick google-ing I found these results, which sound pretty alright and at least some of the options are viable to keep it vegan-friendly :)

Rats: Natural rat repellants

Slugs: Natural slug control

Ants: Natural ant repellants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I had a mouse problem a few years ago, the only real solution is to prevent them getting into the house in the first place. You need to seal any small holes, gaps and cracks; for example in my house we suspect they were getting in via the gas piping - there is an outer plastic tube around the actual pipe which was exposed around the gas meter. Expanding foam sealed it off, I've only heard mice a couple of times in the last 5 years or so.

If rats are a problem in an area, whatever is attracting them needs to be taken out - a bin area or whatever needs to be made inaccessible. Rats breed like rats :p so there's no point in killing them one by one, humanely or not.

I've no idea how to control or repel ants or slugs, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Absurdum wrote: »
    If rats are a problem in an area, whatever is attracting them needs to be taken out
    That would be the sea :p
    so there's no point in killing them one by one, humanely or not.
    Just to clarify, I've no intention of killing anything, that's the whole point in me posting here. I know it's not strictly about diet but it ties in.

Cheers for the help anyway, if anyone else has a few ideas keep em coming please! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

That's an interesting topic as we did have quite a problem with mice in the house I was renting one Winter. It got fairly bad as mice breed fast and conventional mousetraps were used at the time, not so easy to handle these situations when you're trying to hold onto rent paying housemates. It's not a method I would chose to use if it could be avoided. Although glue mousetraps are marketed as humane mouse traps Peta and RSPCA oppose these since it is a slow death for the mice, puts those that survive under severe stress, they're illegal in Ireland afaik.

I agree the best method is prevention, making sure no doors left opened as the weather gets colder, no rubbish/food left near the door to attract them, using ultrasonic plug repellents, we've a couple of these around the house.

Vanilla candles/vanilla scent also supposed to repel mice.

Poison for mice/rats/slugs is a harsh extermination method as it bleeds the animal to death, also a danger for other pets if they eat it, we've suspected a few cats have died this way over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 blue412

Hi,

Not for the fainthearted. There's some mammal trapping equipment here if you're not afraid to get hands on. Be very careful of Legionaires disease (and others probably too) Gloves etc - not sure what other precautions you'd have to take. I'm really not sure how effective it would be. Mice are easier (again with necessary precautions like gloves etc).

I don't know - for me rats and house mice really are pests. If humans don't live in an area they die out without them so I don't really consider them wild animals. Humane is better - but not at your own risk. I'd feel less bad killing a rat compared to a slug - does that sound weird?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Markwasp

I know it might sound strange calling it more humane but there is some truth in it. I catch moles in Surrey and I say I am a humane mole catcher as I will only use traps and no poisons or gases.
    It's more humane as the trap will kill the mole instantly where as the poison or gas causing suffering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

For rats and mice, get a ferret to rummage around the house for a few hours. They don't need to catch anything, their scent (fine for us) will have the pests moving out in no time.

Advertisement