Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De facto Partner

Options
  • 03-09-2010 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi,

Myself and my girlfriend are going traveling soon enough. She hasn't been to Oz and wants to spend a year there but I've already used my WHV and don't qualify for the second year WHV.

Is it possible to for me to spend the year there with her as a de facto partner on her WHV?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. We would suit all the requirements of the de facto partnership. Also, I could get a skilled migration visa but waiting times sound too long.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

No such thing sorry - you would have to go the skilled migration route or get a 12 month holiday visa

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭An Capall Dubh

Was kind of thinking that alright, feck it anyway!!

Cheers for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

Was kind of thinking that alright, feck it anyway!!

Cheers for the info!
    if either of u can get a 457 visa u can do the defacto thing, u can also claim your rent and some food against tax on the LAFHA which is pretty kool.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mememealways

Hi!

Just wondering on how you got on getting a visa?

I also have d same problem, I have already been to Oz for a year but my partner has not, I was thinking about getting a years holiday visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭An Capall Dubh

Hi mememealways,

Don't think it's possible at all so might just get the years working holiday visa for NZ instead. Then apply for the skilled migration visa for Oz and hopefully get it in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Alot of Irish couples who dont want to go home are having one partner get a student visa, then going halves on the course costs, with the other being de facto on the student visa as a non studying partner. Worth a shot and it can be a back door to residency :) (thank christ Abbott didnt get in, although in truth he probably wouldnt have been stupid enough to close the loopholes anyway)

btw whats the story with a one year holiday visa? I know certain commonwealth nationalities can get them, thought we were only allowed 3 months at a time, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Hi!

Just wondering on how you got on getting a visa?

I also have d same problem, I have already been to Oz for a year but my partner has not, I was thinking about getting a years holiday visa?

I dont think there is a years holiday Visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Yes there sort of is

Subclass 676 Tourist visa

This visa is designed only to allow temporary travel to Australia for tourism purposes or to visit family and friends. It cannot be used for long-term stays or residence. To be eligible for a further Tourist visa in the future, you must maintain extended periods of time outside of Australia.

If you would like to migrate or spend longer periods in Australia, you should explore more appropriate visa options which may be more suitable.

What does this visa let me do?

If granted, this visa will allow you either a single or multiple entry to Australia for a stay period of up to three, six or 12 months.

The period of stay and number of entries granted will depend on the purpose of the visit and your personal circumstances.

Subclass 679

This visa allows people to travel to Australia to take a holiday or visit their family.

The applicant must have an eligible relative in Australia or an Australian Government official willing to sponsor them.

The sponsor provides a guarantee that their visitor will leave Australia before the visa expires. Support from the sponsor is taken into account by the visa decision-maker

What does this visa let me do?

You can visit Australia once, usually to stay for a period of up to three months or six months, but in certain circumstances a stay of 12 months may be granted. While in Australia you can:

visit family and friends
    engage in tourist activities
    study for up to three months.

Your family and friends have to be Citizens or Permanent Residents. Also if you have been on a WHV immediately before applying for 676 it might be rejected if DIAC feel that you might be returning to work illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 olearyj1

Apologies for hijacking this thread, but it is a related issue...

Can someone please direct me to where i could obtain a Statutory Declaration (Irish Version) for an Irish couple in OZ? (need this to prove we were a couple before we arrived to Oz last year).

Need this ASAP.

Thanking you in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

• Advertisement
Advertisement