Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What veg and flowers to plant and when to plant

Options
  • 03-09-2010 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi everyone

New to boards and to gardening:rolleyes:

This may seem to be a silly question but I have recently moved to the countryside and have loads of ground to grow veg (and flowers as well) but I've no idea where to start, what to plant or when I should plant??? I'd love to have a veg and flower garden and know that it will take time to understand what needs to be done when but if ye have any advice I would greatly appreciate it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

if it is a huge plot, take cuttings from anyone close by that will give them to you as anything in the surrounding gardens will grow in yours, as shrubs are dear at centres, get all the slips you can and push them into the peremeter of plot put loads in as some will not come and you will be allowing for this, you can put daffodil and tulip bulbs in right now also, you will get lots of perennials cheapely right now, buy them up and plant now, as for kitchen gardening
    you could put in some garlic, winter cabbage i am shure there are others, will give it a think in the meantime
    october is the time to put in shrub cuttings

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Hi everyone

New to boards and to gardening:rolleyes:

This may seem to be a silly question but I have recently moved to the countryside and have loads of ground to grow veg (and flowers as well) but I've no idea where to start, what to plant or when I should plant??? I'd love to have a veg and flower garden and know that it will take time to understand what needs to be done when but if ye have any advice I would greatly appreciate it

First Welcome to the Gardeners World :-)

There is a Saying ...

From Little Acrons, Mighty Oak trees grow... (Or something Similar) :-)

So I would start small first get the Basics done and done right, don't be afraid to ask anyone and everyone ... Above all don't rush, enjoy and Learn!!! (We all are, no matter how long we do this, we are all still learning!! more from the mistakes than successes )...

Have you make a rough Plan what you want in the end. (And if you get bitten there is no end)
    Try make one and then break it down to stages try finish one before moving to another if possible, you'll feel you are succeeding as they get done.. Compared to doing it all at once and it dragging out, without much to show!!

Be aware that it can be very time consuming ...

If you have limitied time, Wind Breaks (Hedges/Trees Shrub /shelter beds are a good start to sort first.
    I wouldn't recommend herbaceous perennials/Vegetables just yet if you are limitied on Time
    Find out what kind of soil you have what is suitable what is not ..

Last word for now :p Another saying

Gardening is a Belief in the Future..! (Again something Similar)

( I love this one... Seeing how the world and ourselves are all about to erupt at any moment with economic troubles etc... Planting a Plant well, be it Seed/Bulb beliving it will grow and trive)

So Enjoy it all

Advertisement