Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cisco UPC router or older SA modem

Options
  • 03-09-2010 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

I just signed up for UPC 30 mb and I haven't received my equipment or been connected yet. They tell me they're sending out the cisco modem/router.

Should I call them and ask if they can send out the older Scientific Atlanta one that a lot of people speak of and use my own router, or just try the cisco one first?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

i'd say call them and request the SA one - it's a shame you didn't do it at order time. That's what I did - much happier I did - a friend of mine didn't bother specying, and now having problems with nas -> ps3 streaming using wifi with the cisco...

I wouldn't mind but ifone had IOS access on the cisco, it's an easy command to fix

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

@Dardania...thanks for the reply man.
    Dunno what you mean by the ifone statement though.
    I'm gonna be using my broadband for xbox live, surfing and downloading...probably nothing else. Is the cisco not good enough for this?

Can anybody give me a bit more info on why I should ask for the SA modem before I ring them? Ie...maybe a few pros & cons of both cisco & scientific Atlanta versions? That way I might have more bargaining power as I don't know much about either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

@Dardania...thanks for the reply man.
    Dunno what you mean by the ifone statement though.

It's a typo, supposed to read "if one had IOS access"

rmacm wrote: »
    It's a typo, supposed to read "if one had IOS access"

Lol...

I rang UPC today and they said they don't have the SA modem anymore so I guess I'll have to hope the cisco one serves me well !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

I'm gonna be using my broadband for xbox live, surfing and downloading...probably nothing else. Is the cisco not good enough for this?

If thats all you want then the Cisco is fine. I have the Cisco and have an Xbox, laptop and desktop connected and have had no problems so far (with the exception of getting my Samsung internet@tv to work) but for surfing and connecting to Xbox live its fine.

Cheers,
    sombaht

sombaht wrote: »
    If thats all you want then the Cisco is fine. I have the Cisco and have an Xbox, laptop and desktop connected and have had no problems so far (with the exception of getting my Samsung internet@tv to work) but for surfing and connecting to Xbox live its fine.

Cheers,
    sombaht

Cheers sombaht. That's what I was looking to hear. Cent see myself streaming router to xbox and stuff like that

Advertisement