Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lied to by company

Options
  • 03-09-2010 2:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Company I work for recently announced pay cuts for all staff. That was grand with me, if it saves jobs I'm happy.

They also said that the bonuses it offers to managers would be taken away. These bonuses are given out after you are a manager for 6months and if you and your store are fullfilling the requirements. It is paid in instalments into your payslip weekly for a year. Again, I was okay with this as I did not get checked out yet to recieve this bonus anyway.

Now I hear that those bonuses are still in place for all managers who already held them but have been renamed. The company specifically said they had been removed for all staff holding them.

My issue is that I've been a manager for a year and a half. When I was in the company 6 months I asked about getting my bonus assesment. I was told it could not be done because they were actually 5 months late doing them so I didn't qualify. I, being a new manager, accepted this with the understanding that I'd get my chance the next year.

The time passed, no mention of the bonus assesments coming around, and just before I could ask about it, the word breaks on the pay cut.

I just feel very lied to by the company as they told ALL the staff about the bonuses being removed, but it turns out a select few managers got an additional letter saying they'd still be getting them.

I now earn as much an hour as I would working regular full time in a different retailer and am seriously considering a move, but I do enjoy my job and for me it isn't all about money. I just hate being lied to.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

You're being lied to and there's nothing you can do.

They're allowed to lie to you and make up bull**** rules at the drop a hat.

It's Ireland. The rules are always nonsense and based more on cronyism and arse licking than performance.

It's happened to me and I've seen it happen to other people. Some magical rule is made up to stop you from getting your bonus - where some other lazy cabbage gets it.

It's a joke. I've seen good sales people cheated out of their bonuses, where crap ones who should be getting fired for their inability to meet even the lowest targets get the bonuses.

Upset some little bastard - and you lose. Ireland is a scummy place.

Look forward to more of the same.

Or put your query in writing to your HR department. Someone could be taking the piss and blocking your bonus out of spite.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thank you for the reply krd.
    Spoke with my area manager about it. He just said that people who already had this bonus had their payments protected- dispite the company saying they'd been taken away.
    I was also told there is no way I can apply to get the payment. as in ever.

Just seems a bit bad form from the company. I wouldn't mind but I get audits in the high 80's early 90's every time they're in.

Just going to have to put up with it, but I have noticed it effecting my work. I know I shouldn't but if i'm getting 10% less pay than my co workers, then I'm doing 10% less work. Childish maybe, but it makes me feel a little better

Advertisement