Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Sugar

Options
  • 03-09-2010 3:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

Since there isn't any Irish sugar what are the irish made subsitutes for sugar or is it just really Irish honey?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Would sugar not have been manufactured using sugar beets (as opposed to sugar cane) in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Xiney wrote: »
    Would sugar not have been manufactured using sugar beets (as opposed to sugar cane) in Ireland?

Correct

I take it there isn't a substitute to replace the now defunct Irish sugar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Check out this thread, Corsendonk.

Thanks, I know that Nordsucker bought the siucra brand from Greencore. So no one decided to produce a local brand since?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Thanks, I know that Nordsucker bought the siucra brand from Greencore. So no one decided to produce a local brand since?

The cost of producing sugar in Ireland from Irish grown sugar beet is prohibitive. The retail cost of the sugar would be much higher than imported sugar. Obviously, no-one is prepared to invest in a business that is uncompetitive and will probably lose money.

Advertisement