Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can the landlord put ESB bill in your name?

Options
  • 03-09-2010 4:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

I moved into a new house but before i got a chance to put the bill in my name the LL did it for me. Now don't get me wrong i was going to do it myself but can anyone do it? Whats to stop someone making up a name? Or using smeone elses name?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Not only can he but its the first thing landlords do, a reading is taken from the meter and the ESB is notified of the tenents name. This would be in your contract, the tenent is responcible for paying all utilities when renting accomadation, how is this a consumer issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accomodation & Property

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

sounds very odd. As you say whats to stop you putting somebody elses name on it and therefore washing your hands of any responsibility for said bill.

hmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

You take a reading yourself so you know it concurs with what the landlord took!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Normal practice, landlord saved you the hasstle of doing it yourself. Just make sure the first reading is accurate - you need to check the meter yourself!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

dudara wrote: »
    Moved to Accomodation & Property

dudara

ok so what's to stop one tenant putting it in anothers name? Could someone else put a bill in my name?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

If its ESB I know they have Landlord/Tenant Agreements - you'll find more info here

https://www.esb.ie/esbcustomersupply/residential/your_account/landlords_and_tenants.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

You must not have had an account with the ESB? If you do have one your initial account number is required to switch an account into your name (or at least thats the impression i get).

For a new customer all that is needed is;
    1. Meter Point Reference Number (Found on the bill)
    2. Your move in date
    3. A meter reading

My own landlord is doing the same for me, to be honest its handier than getting a copy of the previous bill off him and he can be sure I'm not up to any funny business, but to be sure he wasn't I made sure to witness and sign off on the meter reading.
    If anyone were to be so stupid as to put your name on their account what purpose would it serve? Unless they pay by DD the bill is still coming to their door and to pay by DD they need your bank details, oh and without extensive knowledge of you and your bank card they also need your identity to set up the thing. And even if they manage to do that you still get to ring up the ESB and say "thats not me" so it wouldn't cost you a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Pretty standard for the LL or EA to forward the name of whomever is moving in to the ESB/Gas etc Usually when they close their account or the account of whom ever was last in the property. You'll be asked if you own or rent when setting up the account and they usually have the information for the owner of the property on file. You double check their meter reading to make sure your only paying for what you use. The way they stop someone just making up a name is that they normally send you a welcome letter when you move in then ask you to set up a Direct Debt or else pay a deposit unless your transferring an existing account.

The place I just moved into the LL was moving out so they moved their gas account and forwarded my name to the gas company and I got the welcome letter from them however I transferred my account with a different gas company to new address so I just had to ring the first company and explain, took like 5 mins.

Advertisement