Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC not rolling out yet to certain places?

• 03-09-2010 4:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

Tried a bunch of addresses on the UPC site, for availability. None of Drogheda is eligible it seems

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

KoKane wrote: »
    Tried a bunch of addresses on the UPC site, for availability. None of Drogheda is eligible it seems

Do UPC even have cable in Drogheda?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

From memory UPC have cabled 880k houses out of 2m odd in the state. They have BB enabled 620k of the 880k...70% of them.

They will reach maybe 700k BB enabled by end 2011 at the rate they are going .

As for new rollouts, the number of homes passed by their cable actually declined at times in 2009/2010 but may be recovering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Cable doesn't even exist in Co. Louth barring the remnants of a community distribution TV service around Muirheavnamore in Dundalk (there's a thread here referencing it) and something similar in the Cord Rd. area in Drogheda and also I think Trinity St. MMDS is a half-assed service in comparison to ordinary cable by UPC.

There's none anywhere near here except for a small part around Navan and then the cable network in Newry (which doesn't have broadband AFAIK). Balbriggan uses MMDS too but I may have seen one estate which was fed with microwave links which would allow for broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Runs Cold

There's none anywhere near here except for a small part around Navan and then the cable network in Newry (which doesn't have broadband AFAIK). Balbriggan uses MMDS too but I may have seen one estate which was fed with microwave links which would allow for broadband.

broadband does not run on upc mmds. estates cabled from a single mmds ariel can not recieve upc broadband ( at present).

short answer is upc have no broadband in that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Runs Cold wrote: »
    broadband does not run on upc mmds. estates cabled from a single mmds ariel can not recieve upc broadband ( at present).

short answer is upc have no broadband in that area.

UPC have a few MMDS sites that offers triple play. Balbriggan being one of them.
    Ideally UPC would also like to reallocate some of the MMDS spectrum for broadband use, so stand alone MMDS customers can receive broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

DingDong wrote: »
    UPC have a few MMDS sites that offers triple play. Balbriggan being one of them.
    Ideally UPC would also like to reallocate some of the MMDS spectrum for broadband use, so stand alone MMDS customers can receive broadband.

Thank you DingDong. I knew I wasn't seeing things when I saw the microwave link dishes:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Ouch.

Doomed with Eircom so.

Same old story though. Any guesses as to when this internet rescue package will reach us poor souls hanging on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

i phoned upc today, enquiring about broadband, the guy on the phone told me that its coming mid 2011, my address also shows up now on the upc.ie website.

i dont know how true that is? is it really coming to drogheda?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    From memory UPC have cabled 880k houses out of 2m odd in the state. They have BB enabled 620k of the 880k...70% of them.

They will reach maybe 700k BB enabled by end 2011 at the rate they are going .

As for new rollouts, the number of homes passed by their cable actually declined at times in 2009/2010 but may be recovering.

Shocking thing is, you have pretty much mentioned 5 counties out of 26 though i also think the figures you raise to be higher than would be in the other 21 counties.:p

I seriously doubt they have enabled 45% of the country.
    Though to make it come across reasonable you think they have updated more than 50% of our landmass ? :rolleyes:

So our latest and greatest broadband provider is only rolling out in high density areas hugely subsidized by the government and yet still hasn't announced a nationwide strategy ? :confused:

They don't or won't ever have one.Their 4000 post farcical thread was unstickied and disappeared too... ;)

So Ireland is stuck to 4 choices somewhat...

Upc if you live in a city, live in a suburb, live in a high earning suburb.Development in low income areas has proved that they don't actually have an urban plan....

Smart/Magnet adsl2 is actually a far superior product than UPC when taking into account problems received contention wise...

Eircom adsl2 is actually not bad but contention wise is a ho.NGB is what a christian would call the devils piss.
    Dongle **** is just that unless facing the moon from 3 steps east of huge tree to your right.

Upc the government funded ****hole that doesn't give a fook if you live in a town with under 25k...Our saviours... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

d22ontour wrote: »
    Shocking thing is, you have pretty much mentioned 5 counties out of 26 though i also think the figures you raise to be higher than would be in the other 21 counties.:p

Though to make it come across reasonable you think they have updated more than 50% of our landmass ? :rolleyes:

So our latest and greatest broadband provider is only rolling out in high density areas hugely subsidized by the government and yet still hasn't announced a nationwide strategy ? :confused:

They don't or won't ever have one.Their 4000 post farcical thread was unstickied and disappeared too... ;)

So Ireland is stuck to 4 choices somewhat...

Upc if you live in a city, live in a suburb, live in a high earning suburb.Development in low income areas has proved that they don't actually have an urban plan....

Smart/Magnet adsl2 is actually a far superior product than UPC when taking into account problems received contention wise...

Eircom adsl2 is actually not bad but contention wise is a ho.NGB is what a christian would call the devils piss.
    Dongle **** is just that unless facing the moon from 3 steps east of huge tree to your right.

Upc the government funded ****hole that doesn't give a fook if you live in a town with under 25k...Our saviours... :rolleyes:

UPC is a private company don't know why you think it is government funded. They have paid for and own their cable network, they have no obligation to supply broadband anywhere

• Advertisement

d22ontour wrote: »

I said nothing of the sort, read my post CAREFULLY. I said they served 45% of houses to some extent not 45% of the state, as for the rest of your ill considered rant it falls apart once your deliberate conflation of what I actually said does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

As stated UPC receives nothing from the government. It the other way round UPC gives massive sums of money to local council during the network rebuild.

How much did the government give Three again for the NBS?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 XxjustepicxX

hello i have recently moved into a new house and the street is provided with co-axial cables and broadband enabled... THEY BYPASSED my house for some reason and they wont install a cable..
    any advice?? Thanks
    XxjustpeicxX

You can easily run bb in from next door if it is 'installed' there instead. Obviously you pay for it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

ingen wrote: »
    i phoned upc today, enquiring about broadband, the guy on the phone told me that its coming mid 2011, my address also shows up now on the upc.ie website.

i dont know how true that is? is it really coming to drogheda?

Did you get your broadband ? Interested to know if UPC stuck to what they told you.

Advertisement