Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

County Council dug up my garden!

Options
  • 03-09-2010 7:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

I returned home from work this week to find part of my garden, a strip of land between my house and neighbours, had been completely dug up. All the grass is gone and it's now just a strip of clay and it looks like they have thrown some grass seed down as well. It's a mess though!!

It turns out that there was a burst pipe next door and this had to be replaced but surelly they can't just dig up private property like that and leave it in such a state.

I intend to follow up with them today about it but was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or any advice on the best approach to take.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

And they didn't replace the sod? It's not in your bin is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭El Camino

Nope. Definitely not in the bin. I really can't believe that they would actually do that. I'm going to put a call into them to see what they intend to do about this now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I would imagine the council have been granted easements with regard to services. If they had to dig down three or four feet to access the pipe the chances of restoring the ground to it's original state would be slim. Still, it's a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

AFAIK all public utilities/services companies must first seek approval from private owners before entering and certainly undertaking any works. The only exception (and a burst pipe is not) being where public safety is at risk. You are in a very strong position to have your garden fully re-instated as original condition. They often do temp finishes and hope owners will not complain.

Advertisement