Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

buying 35mm Tri-X film and getting it developed. film from germany?

• 03-09-2010 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi, I've recently bought some vintage cameras from the 50s and am looking forward to trying them out with some black & white film. i've used film before, and have taken classes on processing in the darkroom, but i don't want to do it myself now. where can i buy film in ireland and have it processed at a good price? should i be looking in the UK maybe?
    also, i've heard of buying film from germany and using a prepaid mailer to get it developed and they send it back for free. has anyone done this?
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

Gunns on Wexford street have a good reputation or if you want to send them away than check here: http://www.ilfordlab.com/page/57/Black-and-White-Prints-from-Film.htm

Peter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Alternatively you can shoot what's called 'chromogenic' black and white. This is B&W film that's designed to be processed in normal colour labs (C-41). So you can shoot it and just get it done up anywhere where you can normally throw film into. It has a distinctive look to it which some real B&W shooters grumble about, but for all intents and purposes they're grand films.

OTOH, nothing beats a roll of tri-x !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 pimark

As thefizz says locally in Dublin there is Gunnes. Great service across the board...

Online, I've used http://www.peak-imaging.com/ who are based in the UK.
    Had no complaints about them.

These days though I find it just as easy to develop and scan my own tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

Why Tri-X? - Unless you want the results to like images from the 50's. Neopan is a much better film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Why Tri-X? - Unless you want the results to like images from the 50's. Neopan is a much better film.

I gotta say, that's one of the most ridiculous statements I've seen on an internet forum. Everyone has different preferences in film choice, and for many reasons. It'll only look "from the 50's" if you make it look like the 50's...

OP, Tri-X is a lovely film. Give Neopan a go, see which you prefer. Try as much as you can, you'll find a film you adore :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 pimark

I use both Neopan and Tri-x. Both are great films. Of course for 120 film
    Neopan 400 is going for Tri-x might become the fulltime replacement for me.

On looking like the 50's, if someone has invented a time machine, please let
    me know as I'd love to do some street photography in that time period ;).
    Only kidding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭newbridgemom

thanks! ordered some different types from 7dayshop.com and will probably try gunnes for developing.

Advertisement