Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worlds Team

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

How could they NOT pick Martin?!?!?!

Did he not just won the Tour of Poland?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I suspect Dan Martin did not want to ride. His program is geared towards a good ride in Lombardy so going off to Melbourne to ride a course which doesn't suit him and which would leave him jet lagged doesn't seem the best idea.......
    I think Mark Cassidy is actually riding better at the moment....(Than Matt Brammier)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Did Martin make himself available? Yes he's going well at the moment, but as RobFowl says, he could be focussed on Lombardia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

leftism wrote: »
    How could they NOT pick Martin?!?!?!

Did he not just won the Tour of Poland?

He did indeed.

This is the profile. They do that about 10 times.
    00000181-fullsize.jpg

There is a good course breakdown here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

can anyone see Brammeier riding for roche ? considering he's national champion

• Advertisement

Sure, why wouldn't he?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

If he didn;t agree to he wouldn't be going ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

Cycling Ireland are saving on travel costs.... McCann to do 2 events. Definitely Dan Martin should have been selected, but as stated above he may not want to go. Deignan?

jdt101 wrote: »
    Deignan?

He's not having a great season, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

Raam wrote: »
    He's not having a great season, unfortunately.

Do you think he'll get a contract next year?

• Advertisement

Beat's the hell outta me.

AFAIK he'll get compensation from Cervelo which means his salary for next year is pretty much covered.
    As such on a one year contract a team will be getting him for free.
    That said I think he'll struggle to get a place with a top team.
    I'd not be surprised to see him ride for a smaller French team, a British continental team or the SKT.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I like that course for Roche.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

RobFowl wrote: »
    I suspect Dan Martin did not want to ride. His program is geared towards a good ride in Lombardy

Watched a re run of the dublin part of the halfords series last week and he said after his win that Lombardy was his favourite race of the season and that it was the main goal for him or something to that affect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

Yeah, silly of me. Martin has been talking about Lombardy for ages. How come the powers that be clashed it with the worlds, though?

From Shane Stokes..

Roche’s first cousin Daniel Martin is in excellent form, winning three races last month. He took a stage plus the overall classification in the ProTour-ranked Tour of Poland, and then raced to victory in the 1.HC Tre Valli Varesine. He was the strongest rider in the finale of the GP Ouest France in Plouay but was caught with one kilometre to go.

While he would be an automatic choice, he decided not to compete in the worlds this year as he feels the course does not suit him as well as the Tour of Lombardy, his main end-of-season goal. He wants to remain as fresh as possible for the latter event, particularly after finishing eighth in his debut there last year.

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5519/Roche-to-lead-Irish-team-in-world-championships.aspx/?source=fp#ixzz0yTHFLiLC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

el tonto wrote: »
    Did Martin make himself available? Yes he's going well at the moment, but as RobFowl says, he could be focussed on Lombardia.

True. Interviewed a few weeks back in saying that he had no interest in heading to Australia. Reckoned it would jepordize GdL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

he feels the course does not suit him as well as the Tour of Lombardy, his main end-of-season goal.

Think he's right IMO. Course looks way to fast and whilst he'd obviously be of help to Roche it'd be smashing to see him in one of the monuments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

AFAIK he'll get compensation from Cervelo which means his salary for next year is pretty much covered.
    As such on a one year contract a team will be getting him for free.
    That said I think he'll struggle to get a place with a top team.
    I'd not be surprised to see him ride for a smaller French team, a British continental team or the SKT.

He wont be compensated by cervelo, he'll get 2 months pay if he's lucky. poor ould ****er got dropped yesterday witha jersey full of bottles. i think they should have left mcann at home and gave deignan a chance to do somethin over there.

He wont be compensated by cervelo, he'll get 2 months pay if he's lucky. poor ould ****er got dropped yesterday witha jersey full of bottles. i think they should have left mcann at home and gave deignan a chance to do somethin over there.

I gathered from this interview there was some degree of compensation. Would hate for Duignan to be the latest in the long line of Irish pro's to be shafted by pro teams regarding money..

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5504/Behind-the-Scenes-Andrew-McQuaid-gives-insight-into-his-job-as-an-agent.aspx

VN: Is it the case that a rider could do well financially out of Cervélo folding?

AM: No, but they should be in the same position they were with Cervélo.

If they have a contract and transfer to Garmin then it will be honoured; if they have a contract and are not going to Garmin and then sign with another team, Cervélo are due to pay them only the shortfall.

[Ed. If a rider was on a 100,000 Euros/year contract with Cervélo and signs with another team for 80,000 Euros/year then Cervélo have to pay the 20,000 Euros difference]

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5504/Behind-the-Scenes-Andrew-McQuaid-gives-insight-into-his-job-as-an-agent.aspx#ixzz0yTlg9Cwy

• Advertisement
Advertisement