Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Down the docks?!

Options
  • 03-09-2010 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭

Anyone know whats going on down the docks?

I passed there a few times in the last few days and there was a Garda standing around as you come up quay behind the train station toward the city. There are barriers up too at the bridge by Jury's Inn. Its weird :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rebelccfc

There is a british warship down there

What for ? Routine stop ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

SeaFields wrote: »
    Anyone know whats going on down the docks?

I passed there a few times in the last few days and there was a Garda standing around as you come up quay behind the train station toward the city. There are barriers up too at the bridge by Jury's Inn. Its weird :eek:

British Navy officer charged with assault on female garda

By Liam Heylin and Sean O’Riordan

Friday, September 03, 2010

A BRITISH Navy officer was arrested in Cork yesterday and charged with assaulting a female garda.

Warrant officer on the HMS Mersey, Robert Nixon, 39, was arrested by Detective Garda Sharon Sweeney and charged with two counts arising out of the incident that allegedly occurred shortly before midnight on Wednesday.

Nixon was charged with Section 3 of the Non-fatal Offences Against the Person Act, the particulars of the charge being that he assaulted Garda Hilary Lynch causing her harm at Kennedy Quay, Cork, on September 1.

The defendant was also charged with engaging in threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour that could have caused a breach of the peace. Nixon made no reply to either charge.

He was brought before Cork District Court yesterday afternoon where Inspector John Deasy said directions in the case were not yet available from the Director of Public Prosecutions. The inspector said there was no objection to the accused being released on bail while the prosecution awaits DPP directions.

Frank Buttimer, defence solicitor, said the defendant was a warrant officer. Nixon told Judge David Riordan that he had 22 years service with the Navy and that his tenure did not end until 2021.

Nixon gave an undertaking to return to Cork to face the case against him. His superior officer, Mathew Marriot, said he would facilitate this by ensuring Nixon’s availability. He said that while he did not have the legal authority to order the defendant to attend, he said that any failure by the defendant to meet the case "would almost certainly end in the termination of his career".

Executive officer Marriot said Nixon was, in his experience, an honest, decent and highly professional officer.

Judge Riordan remanded him on bail to appear in court on October 20.

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/crime/british-navy-officer-charged-with-assault-on-female-garda-129757.html#ixzz0ySicmPwX

So they are all staying put because of that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

They'll hardly stay until Oct 20th?

Think that lads career is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

something else going on as well, there are a load of cars stock-piled on the quay side along the river behind the port of cork building, and a Marque there as well today. was driving by Jury's this morning and there was a big blue barrier up along the bridge so you could not see down river. the cars seems to be numbered as well, spray painted on the doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

the cars sound like the irish cannonball run, but that's not for another week.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Think there may be some kind of emergency or safety training going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

deRanged wrote: »
    the cars sound like the irish cannonball run, but that's not for another week.

No, car are old and all stacked up on top of each other...think i found out that part :
    http://www.corkharbour.ie/pages/Cork_Harbour_Open_Day_Programme_2010.pdf
    world rescue...cutting bodies out of crashed cars

yeah, I heard about that this evening. it sounds brilliant.

• Advertisement

deRanged wrote: »
    yeah, I heard about that this evening. it sounds brilliant.

Went down for a peak at that today, not great really, I'd imagine you'd have to be somewhat knowledgable about it to appreciate it, I'm not so thought it not great. Hardly any Joe Soaps down there either.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Went down for a peak at that today, not great really, I'd imagine you'd have to be somewhat knowledgable about it to appreciate it, I'm not so thought it not great. Hardly any Joe Soaps down there either.

oh that's a shame. I'd have gone for a look if I was able to. The paper did say there was limited access for onlookers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

evilivor wrote: »
    British Navy officer charged with assault on female garda

By Liam Heylin and Sean O’Riordan

Friday, September 03, 2010

A BRITISH Navy officer was arrested in Cork yesterday and charged with assaulting a female garda.

Warrant officer on the HMS Mersey, Robert Nixon, 39, was arrested by Detective Garda Sharon Sweeney and charged with two counts arising out of the incident that allegedly occurred shortly before midnight on Wednesday.

Nixon was charged with Section 3 of the Non-fatal Offences Against the Person Act, the particulars of the charge being that he assaulted Garda Hilary Lynch causing her harm at Kennedy Quay, Cork, on September 1.

The defendant was also charged with engaging in threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour that could have caused a breach of the peace. Nixon made no reply to either charge.

He was brought before Cork District Court yesterday afternoon where Inspector John Deasy said directions in the case were not yet available from the Director of Public Prosecutions. The inspector said there was no objection to the accused being released on bail while the prosecution awaits DPP directions.

Frank Buttimer, defence solicitor, said the defendant was a warrant officer. Nixon told Judge David Riordan that he had 22 years service with the Navy and that his tenure did not end until 2021.

Nixon gave an undertaking to return to Cork to face the case against him. His superior officer, Mathew Marriot, said he would facilitate this by ensuring Nixon’s availability. He said that while he did not have the legal authority to order the defendant to attend, he said that any failure by the defendant to meet the case "would almost certainly end in the termination of his career".

Executive officer Marriot said Nixon was, in his experience, an honest, decent and highly professional officer.

Judge Riordan remanded him on bail to appear in court on October 20.

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/crime/british-navy-officer-charged-with-assault-on-female-garda-129757.html#ixzz0ySicmPwX

Warrant officer is an NCO rank not a commissioned rank bad form from a senior NCO though.
    Hope there werent any dumbasses protesting about the presence of a british waship times have changed.

mikeym wrote: »
    Warrant officer is an NCO rank not a commissioned rank bad form from a senior NCO though.
    Hope there werent any dumbasses protesting about the presence of a british waship times have changed.

I heard that the assault occurred after the intoxicated chap was driven back to the ship by the Gardai, two lads off the ship drew attention to themselves as one of them was completely drunk. After the soberish one identified themselves the Gardai decided to bring them back to the ship. Nice way to treat a 23 year old female :(

Also the ship had not raised the Irish flag when docked, which nautical etiquette advises ships to do when docked in foreign ports. Perhaps navy ships don't do this.

Times have indeed changed it seems ;)

Advertisement