Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Late Late Show 03/09/10

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Precisely. I dont believe that Blair went into Iraq with complete confirmation of WMDs. But he can now hide behind it. So at least he has a story.
    What did Bertie do? Went on the news and showed a teary eye and was forgiven. We live in a stupid country. A country that has parents that spawn people like Jedward

So we believe Blair and not Bertie...
    To paraphrase Madonna
    'You only see what your eyes want to see'

I'm glad people hold a second holiday above the lives of countless innocents.

They both lied. Blair's lies devestested more families.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

No, did you not read the credits? Tubs won that teddy in a machine out in Bray before the show.

Which was paid for with license fee money! It's a vicious cycle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Hi guys jsust in from the pub and i happened to waytch the last 10 miunites of the late late, sweeet jaysus all mightly i have never witnessed such cock sucking from a presenrter on irish tv before to a guest,, typical turbidy d4 private school head, i thought he nwas gonna cum all over his rugby guest at one stage.

Hi guys jsust in from the pub and i happened to waytch the last 10 miunites of the late late, sweeet jaysus all mightly i have never witnessed such cock sucking from a presenrter on irish tv before to a guest,, typical turbidy d4 private school head, i thought he nwas gonna cum all over his rugby guest at one stage.
    I would have!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Bit OTT there JONJO.

To summarise: JONJO was in the pub and we weren't.

• Advertisement

efb wrote: »
    To paraphrase Madonna

Nice generalisation there! I'm lucky I can just about pay my rent & that's not directly to do with Tony Blair. It's a selfish outlook but I prioritise matters that hit closer to home. Anyway I'm gonna leave it at that as it's a Friday night & the wrong forum for this!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

To paraphrase Madonna

Efb read my posts again please. I never once said Blair isnt lying. But he will never be caught on it. Unlike Bertie who resorted to crying on national tv.

Please read the comments before quoting them and looking silly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

you should have stayed there

Efb read my posts again please. I never once said Blair isnt lying. But he will never be caught on it. Unlike Bertie who resorted to crying on national tv.

Please read the comments before quoting them and looking silly
    I never said you did, read mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Tubs has no clue about rugby.

• Advertisement

I never said you did, read mine.

I will say this slowly. I......never.......said....i....believe......Blair.......
    Ok? So please stop quoting me and implying i do believe him, simples?

laugh wrote: »
    Tubs has no clue about rugby.

He just likes the lads! Sure he got very excited with DOC in his jocks!
    Same reason my girlfriend watches Rugby!

Why do you need the patronising comments at the end of your posts?
    Very school bullyish

Why do you need the patronising comments at the end of your posts?
    Very school bullyish

Its hard not to patronise someone who goes on a board site without the ability to read. I will however take what you've said on board and try not to be too "bullyish" with you. Petal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

My two cents worth on the Blair interview. I thought Tubs made mistakes in a couple of ways.

Firstly. They should have either made the interview longer, or cut down on the number of topics they tried to touch on.

Secondly, no need to ask the same question 5 times just so tubs can get out all 5 of his cool phrases. "war criminal", "blood on your hands" etc etc.

Thirdly. I don't believe that the late late show should be about deep searching political questioning. That's what Prime Time and all the other political shows that are on every other night of the week are for. As far as I'm concerned, the LLS should be about touching on personal, human interest elements of a guest which are unknown or little known.

If that's wrong, and a few deep searching political questions are really called for, what ever happened to doing it in the old fashioned LLS style - letting a few ordinary Joe's, or strategically planted people from the audience have a chance they'd otherwise never have had of challenging a former World power. When Blair runs rings around them, as he did at the tribunal for several hours a few months ago, at least it wouldn't damage the show and the credibility of it's host.

Its hard not to patronise someone who goes on a board site without the ability to read. I will however take what you've said on board and try not to be too "bullyish" with you. Petal

Patronising someone does not win an argument for you, rather makes you appear immature

Patronising someone does not win an argument for you, rather makes you appear immature

Merely responding to your accusation. Which only seemed to surface when you had nowhere left to go in the argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Merely responding to your accusation. Which only seemed to surface when you had nowhere left to go in the argument.

ah come on lads, take it to PM if you really have to argue it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I'll not bother engaging with anyone that refers to me as petal- unless he looks like donncha o Callaghan and has his room keys in his hand lolz!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Secondly, no need to ask the same question 5 times just so tubs can get out all 5 of his cool phrases. "war criminal", "blood on your hands" etc etc.

Agree. He should have worked out way beforehand the one way he was gonna phrase "the" question..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Just in from th'pub meself, what's the view on Tubs' performance? Did he ask the hard-hitting questions? Did he confront the evil and the blatant criminality head on? And what about his interview with Tony Blair?

Just in from th'pub meself, what's the view on Tubs' performance? Did he ask the hard-hitting questions? Did he confront the evil and the blatant criminality head on? And what about his interview with Tony Blair?

Munsters underhand tactics? Donners deflected the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Cris Jones

Tubridy very poor, not mature enough to pace his questions .. keeps jumping in like a child with ADHD...
    and when he lets Blair answer he kept saying the same question to him over and over which Blair had answered. That is not being Jeremy Paxman, RT, it is just being stupid and annoying.
    Tubridy interview skills are a disaster. He hasn't a clue. He won't let Tony Blair answer.

And I read that Tubridy was doing his homework for the Blair interview. He asked questions that had all been already answered in the newspapers this week or covered in the newspapers this week or the telly, the only one he kept at Blair about was the weapons of mass destruction one, which Blair answered, but RT knew that that was the most controversial subject he could raise so even though Blair had bloody already answered ten times he kept repeating the question.
    You are right, his interview skills are a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

I don't think we were watching the same show. You'd probably knocked on one of your hardcore gay dvds by mistake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

tintin67 wrote: »
    I don't think we were watching the same show. You'd probably knocked on one of your hardcore gay dvds by mistake.

Same show alright interviewing the rugby player at the end,i have never seen a tv interviewer falling over some one so much and spent so much time interviewing him and the giving him a gift basket at the end:rolleyes:, what a sad stupid ****er ryan turibdy is, as one american friend said to me last year, how the hell dis this guy get on tv he looks ackward no interview skills etc etc he would not even make it as a extra on oprah whinfrey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭dooloo

What a disaster.

Ryan Tubridy has shown his inexperience at serious interviews here. Tony Blair was well adapt at answering the questions but what's he supposed to do when Ryan asks the exact same question again and again?

It's not like Vincent Browne or Miriam Callaghan where they're asking an Irish politican the same question repeatedly. The difference is that the Irish politician will continuously ignore the question asked and say something totally differently, usually politically motivated.

Here was Tony Blair answering each question he was asked no problem but yet being prodded like a school child by Ryan. Ryan was not even listening to the answers coming back to him. He was repeating his perfomance against cowen by thinking that the audience (and public) would back him up.

And again he brings up the drinking issue (aka Cowen). Fair enough it was mentioned in the book but to keep at Blair again and again as if it was a serious problem that undermined his leadership . . .

I sincerely hope Tubs reviews his performance and compares it to the many other interviews that Blair has given and will give re this book.

He has a lot to learn. Just hope he has the humility to learn from his mistakes. . .

dooloo wrote: »
    And again he brings up the drinking issue (aka Cowen)

Think it was meant to be a Tubridy/audience in-joke, given that he asked the exact same question of Cowan last year, but nobody picked up on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

dooloo wrote: »

He has a lot to learn. Just hope he has the humility to learn from his mistakes. . .

Learning at the licence payers expense.
    Shur take your time Ryan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

Laois_Man wrote: »
    My two cents worth on the Blair interview. I thought Tubs made mistakes in a couple of ways.

Firstly. They should have either made the interview longer, or cut down on the number of topics they tried to touch on.

Thirdly. I don't believe that the late late show should be about deep searching political questioning. That's what Prime Time and all the other political shows that are on every other night of the week are for. As far as I'm concerned, the LLS should be about touching on personal, human interest elements of a guest which are unknown or little known.

If that's wrong, and a few deep searching political questions are really called for, what ever happened to doing it in the old fashioned LLS style - letting a few ordinary Joe's, or strategically planted people from the audience have a chance they'd otherwise never have had of challenging a former World power. When Blair runs rings around them, as he did at the tribunal for several hours a few months ago, at least it wouldn't damage the show and the credibility of it's host.

Some good points there, regarding length of interview it was a lot longer than most political interviews on the show, but could even of done with with a few more minutes given the amount of plugging Tub did for it all week on his radio show, and given the guest at hand.
    D'OC was clearly brought in as filler as he wasn't plugging anything and could could easily have being sacfricied as rugby players are on every second week on the LLS.

Tubridy covered a lot of ground with Blair in the right order but fell down as Blair is as canny a politcal operator as you'll get, The 'are you a war criminal' thing had to be asked but shouldn't have been repeated and went around in circles- he was never going to win against Blair, but that doesn't make Blair right - but it highlights the failings of Tubridy and the LLS, wants to be seen as a savvy political correspondent/show but then jumps to jeremy kyle populist crap too.
    The drinking questions were unnecessary and then Tubridy says we'll talk about it over a pint later- wtf?
    All in all Blair came across well and so did Tubridy up to the Iraq stuff.
    I thought it was a good interview from a poor interviewer, if that makes any sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Sky News playing clips from of Tubs v Blair, billing it as the first live interview since publication of the autobiography.

Think it was meant to be a Tubridy/audience in-joke, given that he asked the exact same question of Cowan last year, but nobody picked up on it.
    except you?:D
    A lot of back slapping posts and thanks to posts going on tonight :D

Some good points there, regarding length of interview it was a lot longer than most political interviews on the show, but could even of done with with a few more minutes given the amount of plugging Tub did for it all week on his radio show, and given the guest at hand.
    D'OC was clearly brought in as filler as he wasn't plugging anything and could could easily have being sacfricied as rugby players are on every second week on the LLS.

Tubridy covered a lot of ground with Blair in the right order but fell down as Blair is as canny a politcal operator as you'll get, The 'are you a war criminal' thing had to be asked but shouldn't have been repeated and went around in circles- he was never going to win against Blair, but that doesn't make Blair right - but it highlights the failings of Tubridy and the LLS, wants to be seen as a savvy political correspondent/show but then jumps to jeremy kyle populist crap too.
    The drinking questions were unnecessary and then Tubridy says we'll talk about it over a pint later- wtf?
    All in all Blair came across well and so did Tubridy up to the Iraq stuff.
    I thought it was a good interview from a poor interviewer, if that makes any sense.
    It makes sense only that you read earlier posts on the thread and copied their thoughts.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Anyone know if it is going to be repeated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

Cris Jones wrote: »
    It makes sense only that you read earlier posts on the thread and copied their thoughts.:D

eh thanks for that but sorry no watched it and my two cents

eh thanks for that but sorry no watched it and my two cents
    and read the posts on this thread to post your second last post. Obvious.;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

briany wrote: »
    It's great to see someone like Imelda May with her thick Dublin accent on TV and not being shown being led out of the four courts yelling threats at the camera. Although it's early in her career yet.[/QUOTE]

What an unsubstantiated, bigoted, and snide comment that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

lizt wrote: »
    Anyone know if it is going to be repeated?

Monday Night 23:40/11:40pm on RTÉ One, it should also be up on the RTÉ Player soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why is everyone criticising this?

It has been obvious from the start of the week that this interview would be under Blair's terms.

Don't expect Tubridy to give him a tough grilling as I'm sure he has a list of 'Do Not Ask Questions'.

i'm sure it's been said - THEN WHY HAVE SOMEONE ON YOUR SHOW IF YOU CAN'T ASK FCUKING QUESTIONS
    what is the point of the show?

it's really simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭TEH REAL CDP

Just after watching Tubs' interview on RTE Player.

I'm usually on the fence about RT - I think he's a nice guy with a talent and a lot of potential but he has definitely not peaked yet.

I think he definitely bit off more than he could chew with Blair - he really did get schooled. It was quite cringeworthy at times, RT's questions were somewhat erratic, not well thought out and ill-timed. I'm not sure if the event got to him or if Blair was essentially, too much of a heavyweight for him. I think it was a bit of both.

As well as that, following a 'serious' question with a patronising question and then a 'joke' question was particularly shambolic - especially in relation to the Gordon Brown/Blair's relationship with him and "would you have a pint with him?" questions. Just totally unnecessary.

It looked awkward and sounded fairly 'staccato-ish' for the majority of the time and I agree with the posters that RT has a lot to learn. His questions on the Iraq war/religion etc., were pretty poor and generic - he could have done something completely different if he had taken the time to brush up on previous interviews/UK politics and draw Blair out. Instead, Blair just plugged and referenced the book at every opportunity (as you would if it were yours and you were let away with it) and danced around him.

I feel sorry for RT as I want to see him do well but he really needs to do more with the time he has to make his mark. Especially with a guest like Blair. It may have looked like a "good grilling" to the majority of the Lourdes bus tour that comprise his core audience, and he'll retain his faithful. However, he really needs to up his game if he aims to gain some credibility with younger, more analytically minded viewers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

I know I'm late on the thread here. Here's my 2 cents on Tubridy v Blair.

The problem was that Tubridy seemed to be enjoying the interview and the opportunity interview Blair and that meant as others said that he didn't allow Blair adequate time to respond fully, he wasn't cool and dispassionate. As others have said he was like a petulant child.

I understand you have to establish a rapport with an interviewee but if you go overboard then you give your interviewee the upper hand.

I also have a moral objection. Sure, suck up and have a laugh with a celebrity or a movie star. It's all fun and light-hearted and it can make for good entertainment.

But Blair sent men the same age as his son Euan and others younger than him to war on the basis of lies. The US and UK are mired in Afghanistan and for what? Countless lives have been wasted on all sides.

In my view, you don't suck up to a politician like that, you don't have a laugh with them. You take them to task on what they did and you try and dig deeper than others, you try and think of questions that no one else may have asked or thought about.

I also don't think his legacy in the North is as fantastic as we might believe it to be given what is happening up there at the moment.

Tubridy didn't ask enough questions about Iraq.

He didn't ask about the use of depleted uranium and the horrific effects on the country. He didn't say anything about the current political impasse in Iraq.

He didn't ask about corruption in Iraq, the Taliban, the cost of the wars, the corruption in Afghanistan and the fact that the US and UK are wasting their time there. He didn't probe deep enough about Iran.

In fact I don't think he asked any questions that Blair hasn't been asked before.

Fair enough talk about Irish ancestry and the peace process, but the other stuff was all very sucky-uppy.

The balance was maybe 10/90 or 20/80 Iraq and wars/everything else.

It was kind of pointless. Tubridy was the wrong person for the job. I look forward to the Pat Kenny radio interview.

Finally, in an unrelated point, I think David Miliband resembles a young Blair while Ed Miliband has a lot of the same mannerisms and David shares a few as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Did Tubers ask Blair any questions about David Kelly? I saw bits and pieces of the interview last night. I know it's one topic Blair avoids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Not unless they revive Kennedy and get him on the show...

Even then it would be fawning nonsense. No tough questions about the Bay of Pigs, the missile crisis, election fraud or his dad's mob ties. Just a load of crap about Irish "connections".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

gambiaman wrote: »
    i'm sure it's been said - THEN WHY HAVE SOMEONE ON YOUR SHOW IF YOU CAN'T ASK FCUKING QUESTIONS
    what is the point of the show?

it's really simple.

Exactly. This interview was about €50,000 worth of advertising for Blair's book, so why can't RTE tell him their terms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Yes! Because they don't pretend to be smart. They know they're gobsh1tes. Our politicians won't admit it.:mad:
    Our politicians aren't put up in front of public questioning by non politicians enough.
    They dont know they are gob****es, Jedward think they are good and always have.
    Fair play, they are making a living out of it, but I would prefer see a more serious guest on the show who:
    a. wasnt pimping a book/show/album
    b. was directly involved in the past 10 years mess.
    For example, bring Bertie back on, havent heard from him in ages despite him still being on the public payrool. How about Cowen again? Ask him the tough questions about John O Donohoe, Beverly Flynn, Ivor Callelly etc.........John Gormley on the complete turnaround the greens have made in their policies......
    These guys have gotten very little public questioning on these topics. With a right interviewer, some unstaged questions and an audience who were unbiased such an interview could have the potential to bring down a government.

Yeah we need some light entertainment, but these guys (jedward) are kids entertainment.

amacachi wrote: »
    When was Dawkins?

Hi Amacachi, here's the classic Tubridy interview with Dawkins from 18th September 2009 ..

Particularly like the second bit, where Tubridy asks the opinion of a priest in the audience, expecting him to denounce Dawkins' blasphemous teachings, only to find out that he's a Dawkins fan... :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

LOL at Dawkins explaining to Tubs that we didn't just arrive and in fact we evolved over a very long time. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I just watched the Blair interview now. The overall tone was quite tetchy I felt. Tubridy seemed determined to establish authority from the outset. This manifested itself in the form of many and at times unnecessary interruptions, some which clearly got Blair's back up.
    Tubridy took one cheap shot, which I'm sure was intended tongue in cheek but came off as a rolleyes moment. It was when Blair said something along the lines of he was the first PM in 130 odd years to have kids at 10 Downing St, 'which makes you wonder what all the other PM's were doing'. The response from Tubridy was 'working, probably' followed by sticking his tongue out.
    When it came to the weightier issues of Iraq I'm afraid Tubridy was well and truly schooled. This was a fact that he clearly didn't enjoy as his tone became increasingly like that of a scolded child. He repeated the question over and over again because he didn't get the answer he wanted, the populist one. This was never going to be a David Frost moment. I'm afraid Tubridy didn't display the necessary intellect to debate with Blair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

LOL at Hawkins explaining to Tubs that we didn't just arrive and in fact we evolved over a very long time. :D

Hawking/Dawkins

Sorry it's a pet hate I've developed from detractors complaining about this "Hawkins" fella.

laugh wrote: »
    Hawking/Dawkins Sorry it's a pet hate I've developed from detractors complaining about this "Hawkins" fella.

Stephen Dawkings, isnt he the lad in the wheelchair.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Aidric wrote: »
    I'm afraid Tubridy didn't display the necessary intellect to debate with Blair.
    I don't know. I spoke to a couple of guys in the media in London this morning and they say everyone in BBC and Sky are cooing over how well Ryan Tubridy did with Blair. It seems he's made a few people over there sit up and take notice of him. Could be very positive for the Tubridy brand! Sky and BBC News channels have both been running cuts of the interview today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement