Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cleatless Shoes?

• 03-09-2010 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering if any of you have advise on Cleatless Shoes. Looking to start cycling soon and dont want to jump stright into cleats but was wondering what type of shoes would you suggest wearing when going out for a cycle.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Go with trainers for the start.

Then quickly realise that cleats are miles better and get a set of pedals and shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Or you could got for somewhere in between, some shoes, such as MTB type ones, have the possibility to have cleats added at a later stage, you just pull out a rubber strip on the sole and stick your cleats in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Trainers with Gortex for rainy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

Five ten do cycling shoes without cleats. They have a very stiff sole so you can put down the power without flexing your foot the same as proper cycling shoe, they're also extremely grippy.

But as thisregard said perhaps getting a pair of mountain bike shoes which have the option of either cutting the sole or not for cleats would be the best way to go. You can leave them as is for a bit and if you feel you want to try cleats you can cut out the little insert. The only problem is the insert is usually recessed a bit so you wouldn't have quite as much grip as with a pair of 5.10's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

When I got my first road bike I just bit the bullet and when straight with a clipless pedal system. Glad I did as there is no great mystique around clipping in/out, I have fallen the embarrassment is worse than the pain. The advantages of clipless pedals far outweigh not having them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

ShaneIRL wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just wondering if any of you have advise on Cleatless Shoes. Looking to start cycling soon and dont want to jump stright into cleats but was wondering what type of shoes would you suggest wearing when going out for a cycle.

Thanks

? why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

'cos it's scary. It took me a year before I was willing to try them...

<edit> Didn't mean to imply don't get them. Just explaining.

Once I did fit them it took no time to get used to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ShaneIRL

07Lapierre wrote: »
    ? why not?

After talking to some people who are cycling for a while they have suggested that get to grips with the cycling aspect of it all first and then when comfortable or when I feel I want to start some mini events to make the move.

Im not looking to break any records or anything at the minute, just get out and enjoy the ride and not have the fear of stopping and... falling over.

After talking to some people who are cycling for a while they have suggested that get to grips with the cycling aspect of it all first and then when comfortable or when I feel I want to start some mini events to make the move.

Im not looking to break any records or anything at the minute, just get out and enjoy the ride and not have the fear of stopping and... falling over.

It takes about 3 longish cycles to get used to it. After that it becomes rather easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Raam wrote: »
    It takes about 3 longish cycles to get used to it. After that it becomes rather easy.
    Or one short spin in heavy traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

When I bought my first road bike a couple of months back I jumped straight in & bought a pair of decent clipless pedals/shoes.
    Glad I did as it immediately becomes obvious how advantageous they are & they dont take long to get use to.
    I can't imagine cycling without them now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

cdaly_ wrote: »

been cycling a year and a half and only now (next week - wiggle are so slow) going clipless, but after researching found myself wondering why i waited so long........cus im a pu$$y, thats why!

I wouldn't go forking out on some half way house pair of shoes if your ultimate goal is to cycle clipless. Like Raam says just use whatever runners you have till you decide to take the plunge......face first into the road. Only messing. You will most likely have 1 or 2 slow motion falls on your first clipless ride and that will be that.

You'll never get comfortable unless you invest in a decent pair of shoes.
    I say go for it! get yourself a pair of shoes, cleats and pedals. you won't regret it. ;)

cdaly_ wrote: »

scary? Different maybe, but not scary. And as you said yourself, it takes no time to get used to them.

Now that you are used to them would you go back to non-cleat shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

I wouldn't go forking out on some half way house pair of shoes if your ultimate goal is to cycle clipless. Like Raam says just use whatever runners you have till you decide to take the plunge......face first into the road. Only messing. You will most likely have 1 or 2 slow motion falls on your first clipless ride and that will be that.

and make sure you screw the cleats in well...I discovered that one of the blots had come loose yesterday just as I arrived home and my left food was wiggling this way and that perfectly pivoting on the one-screw jammed cleat :eek: wobble wobble panic

poochiem wrote: »
    and make sure you screw the cleats in well...I discovered that one of the blots had come loose yesterday just as I arrived home and my left food was wiggling this way and that perfectly pivoting on the one-screw jammed cleat :eek: wobble wobble panic

yeah that has happened to me with Shimano SPDs. Collapse at lights a while back because shoe wouldn't come out. Never happend with SPD-SLs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

07Lapierre wrote: »
    scary? Different maybe, but not scary. And as you said yourself, it takes no time to get used to them.

Now that you are used to them would you go back to non-cleat shoes?

Ah no, well happy now...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I was apprehensive the first time I changed to clipless. I did a lap of my house with only one foot clicked in. It feels really great to be 'connected' to the pedal like that. I just bit the bullet and went on a cycle with them.

Over 700km later, I still have yet to fall. When starting out, every time you press the brakes just remind yourself that if you need to come to a stop, to clip out beforehands. You can clip out early and balance your foot on the pedal for extra security when getting used to it.

Avoid stop start traffic situations at the beginning. You definitely won't regret changing to clipless.

However it isn't necessary at the start - you can just use normal runners, or trainers, to get used to cycling significant distances, and then change to clipless. Once you go clipless, you'll probably never go back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

I started off with runners. These worked fine with the only problem being if the sole got wet - they slipped on the pedals.

I recently got some Shimano A530 SPD pedals for my Trek FX 7.3 bike. I was going to get some shimano mountain bike SPD shoes to match but stalled because the combined price was over the ton. When LIDL had some SPD shoes on offer recently for €25 I jumped at the chance. I wore these once on the bike without the pedals and was disappointed: the removable part on the underneath was more like plastic and the shoe had no grip on the pedals. Regular runners are better than unclipped SPDs!

As per my update in the LIDL thread earlier this evening, my pedals arrived and I installed them and went for a burn; I'm happy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I have SPD (MTB set-up) on my road bike, merely because I like the walkability and I've never noticed a major difference between those and road pedals. I have the pedal tension set at the lowest it can go - I've never needed to tighten it, my feet have never unwillingly disengaged, even during very hard efforts. If you have the cleats adjusted correctly, you shouldn't need a high tension as your foot won't be pulling the shoe to one side during hard efforts.

OP, pedal tension refers to how hard you have to twist your foot to get out of the pedals. It is a very simple adjustment, turn the allen key towards + for a higher tension, and - for a lesser tension. When starting out, put it on the lowest setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭elchupanebrey

You can clip out early and balance your foot on the pedal for extra security when getting used to it.

I tried this today, unfortunatley as it was about my third spin with the cleets I clipped back in and toppled over when i stopped. Luckily I was at home when it happened, not in the middle of town as was the case on thursday evening.

Nothing hurt but my pride. My hip. And my elbow.:pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I tried this today, unfortunatley as it was about my third spin with the cleets I clipped back in and toppled over when i stopped.

Did the same on Thursday, second ever spin with cleats, but manged to disengage as I was toppling and recover. Don't know whether it made the difference or not, but after reading a number of reviews I went for sh56 multi-release cleats, also with the pedals at the loosest setting. Still expecting my first 'clipless moment' any day soon...

While some people like the multi-release cleats, I would avoid them. My friend once had them and his feet kept unclipping during hard efforts. Most people have learned to use clipless pedals with cleats that only allow twisting heel outwards - it's fine for most. On SPDs, you can also twist your heel inwards to disengage, but this is relatively useless at the back of your foot would just hit off the wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

when i bought my bike my first few spins were done using regular run of the mill trainers. in the house i would practice clipping in and out of pedals until i got the hang of it.

when i started to go out with cleats, i'd always disengage my left foot well before any stoppage and as i got more confident, i shortened the distance i clipped out at.

you will have one of them slo-mo falls, hell i've been riding now for 6 months and had one about two weeks ago. as a poster said the embrassment is worse than the actual pain.

smacl wrote: »
    Still expecting my first 'clipless moment' any day soon...

It's a comin boy... Just get the hand down first foot out of the cleat on the way down and you'll be grand:)

Just get the hand down first and you'll be grand

I had a sore wrist for months after my cleat-spill :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Tuck and roll, tuck and roll!

Static falls have the potential to be quite nasty.

Raam wrote: »
    I had a sore wrist for months after my cleat-spill :)
    Must reevaluate my strategy so. Hopefully it invovles never falling again.

• Advertisement

It might never happen to you! I've been using them for nearly 2 years now and I've never once fallen over due to clipless pedals. I had a hairy incident once when I unclipped my left foot but leaned right, but I managed to unclip my right foot in time to catch myself. Never say never, though.

Not that it really matters, but I usually unclip my left foot and lean on it while stopped (at lights, etc.) as this way the chain won't rub along your leg. It doesn't really matter though and it's probably something that never happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

I got some good advice 10 years ago when I was first thinking of going clipless.
    The first time you try using clips and pedals do it on a turbo trainer, if you've no turbo, do it in your hallway with the front wheel of your bike pressed against the front door of your house.
    You have a wall either side of you to rest your hands on for balance, keep the pedals pushed forwards against the door and practice engaging and unclipping and getting used to the 'feel' of clipless pedals.
    Adjust the release tension to your liking and clip and unclip over and over again until you get used to the idea.
    It may still feel unusual when you go out for the first time but you can always go clipless on your left foot and use a non-clipless on your right foot to begin with if needs be.
    Also if you practice on grass it will hurt less when you fall over.
    It might sound strange but I would actually recommend going on grass, braking hard and deliberately falling over.
    It's probably going to happen anyway, best to get that first fall over with.
    It takes away the fear factor and you learn what it feels like when you do fall!
    Be confident, unclip one foot anytime you feel unsure (red lights, junctions etc) and you'll soon get used to using them and when you are used to them you won't go back to trainers etc, guaranteed!
    Good luck!:)

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

I tried this today, unfortunatley as it was about my third spin with the cleets I clipped back in and toppled over when i stopped. Luckily I was at home when it happened, not in the middle of town as was the case on thursday evening.

Nothing hurt but my pride. My hip. And my elbow.:pac:

Was at Dara O'Briain in Vicar St. last Thurs. - he's taken up cycling due to health issues and he did a hilarious routine about cleats and falling over based on his own experience at a set of lights.

Advertisement