Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

First time ever purchase

• 03-09-2010 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi Guys,

I am trying to buy a campervan, I want a van rather then a mothorhome that is too big..only need it for 2 peops. I have set myself a certain budget - being 10k and am currently looking at 2. Both of them conversions. One I would be buying from the guy that actually converted it, the other one bought it converted and is now selling on.
    I was defo get both checked out by a mechanic as both vans are 10yrs old and have 100kmiles on them.

Can I ask you your opinions?

No1 - my preference at the moment
    http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/00/58891900.html
    I like that he has all the pics from the conversion. Checked vs other self-build blogs and I think he has done a rather neat and tidy job on it.
    Engine is a 2.5l no turbo, would that be too small and would I struggle overtaking a tractor on the small, windy Irish country roads?? Any other opinions on that one? Something you like or dislike? Oh also seems like last DOE done in 2006, don't get how he got away without one since...

No 2
    http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/82/56783682.html
    Somehow I am not hugely keen the inside of that one. Both it fits the budget and has everything I want incl recent DOE. The engine is bigger and a turbo...
    Again any other opinions on that one? Something you like or dislike?

Thanks very much for taking time to read this post and hopefully :-D giving me some feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Howdy,

Just some points.

Once the van is registered as a camper then (for the last few years anyhow) it hasn't required a DOE so that would explain your DOE question. Dolmen insurance however usually require an engineering report for converted vans, you could ask about that (not as good as full DOE though).

Note that a test for campers does loom on the horizon. Once thing would be to insure that the windows in the back have an E-43 mark (are automotive standard). The windows in the Master are standard camper ones, not sure about the Citron, could be grand though, but worth checking. Same for gas fittings, etc, make sure the job looks like it was well done.

The Master looks bit bigger (maybe the same size, hard to tell from pics) and would prob be my preference. I like the bed at the back of the van and the fact that you have two benches and plenty of windows to check out the view while you have dinner. Those windows open out also which is nice if you ever hit the continent.

Best of luck with the hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mikki_v

Cheers OuterBombie..I know the non DOE guy has a engineers report from when he got it first insured as camper back in 2007. And yep thanks...I had already thought about the relays windows...read on boards about the marks of the windows...I have a checklist for when I view them based on all my internet research...I reckon they will think I am crazy...hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Hi,
    2points to comment on.
    1/ It is simply not true that campers have never needed a test cert.
    Since the NCT was brought in ALL vehicles have needed a test, it was just that the powers that be didn't realise that the NCT centres could not handle vehicles the size of a camper, and until recently campers were classified as comercial on the registration documents. Irish statutes clearly state this. I'ts just that we've got away with it. I had a DOE test done last year just for my own satisfaction, and it was no different to an NCT test on my car.

2/ Engine and overtaking. I have a 1986 Romahome 2 berth with a 970cc engine. It is quite happy traveling at 80 to 100 k/ph. no problem overtaking tractors when asked to. Yes it loses speed on steep hills but I've taken it to The Burren, Dingle, Killybegs, all hilly areas and from Mayo to Kinsale (5 hours non stop) without any problems. Yes I'm frequently moving over to let vehicles pass, but I go sight seeing so am never in a hurry.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mikki_v

Cheers..for clarification on DOE...I think I am going to ask to get the VAN DOE-ed should I end choosing that one!

Thanks for comment on speed. Certainly don't want to win the next grandprix but just wanna make sure I am not getting frustrated with it being to slow but your damn right...clearly its the journey and enjoying what along the road...

Advertisement