Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duke Nukem Forever

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

da gamer wrote: »
    cant wait for this to be released. as a matter of interest, what is your guys favourite nukem game? i presume most will say duke nukem 3d, as i would. but a time to kill had one of the best multiplayers ever, loved that game

The jetpack in land of the babes was surprisingly fun, just a shame the rest of the game was so ****e!!
    Duke 3D all the way really, Duke 1 and 2 were kind of fun at the time, but still felt like poor imitations of console platformers.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Fourteenth of muthafooking June? Ah for ****s sake like!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just got Borderlands GOTY edition and got a Duke 1st access code inside, apparently i'll be getting the demo early sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

New video out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

waveform wrote: »
    Lads, forgive me for being such a fanboy, but here are some of the verbs that made Duke3D such a great action game in 1996:
    rant rant rant rant

Getting back to my crazy post,

theres a developer commentary video with Randy Pitchford for DUKE3D if anyone would like to check it out:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/02/26/replay-duke-3d.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Getting back to my crazy post,

theres a developer commentary video with Randy Pitchford for DUKE3D if anyone would like to check it out:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/02/26/replay-duke-3d.aspx

that is ****ing *awesome*

i'd love to see similar done with Blood

that is ****ing *awesome*

i'd love to see similar done with Blood

+1,

**** it i think ill have a game of oul blood right now actually, i think theres a windows port for it.
    Added a good few tricks to the engine, such as the ability to make arched hallways, and the weapons were really unique and cool.

The ability to use an aerosol can and a lighter as a flame thrower = win!

I dont think Randy was involved with blood though, it got me googling and found this page:

http://blood.wiki-site.com/index.php/Credits

Would be cool to see one of the designers on there to do the commentary,
    we need more game commentaries imo!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

gog.com have one unit whole blood for about a fiver I think, just pay, download the .exe and install
    so easy and so awesome

played it and blood 2, which I had never played before, about a year ago and i'm itching to give it another run through soon.

gog.com have one unit whole blood for about a fiver I think, just pay, download the .exe and install
    so easy and so awesome

played it and blood 2, which I had never played before, about a year ago and i'm itching to give it another run through soon.

Does it come with the audio tracks on gog do you know?

If it doesnt,i might just buy it anyway, and download the iso elsewhere.

Blood is coming to xbox live soon too!

http://www.hybridgames.co.uk/series/blood/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Does it come with the audio tracks on gog do you know?

If it doesnt,i might just buy it anyway, and download the iso elsewhere.

Blood is coming to xbox live soon too!

http://www.hybridgames.co.uk/series/blood/
    You didn't read down to the end of that article did you? :o
    UPDATE : Yes this is an April Fools Joke, sorry if we got your hopes up, One Unit Whole Blood will never be heading to the Xbox 360 via Xbox LIVE! I hope you all enjoyed it, and had fun searching the internet for information about this elusive game.

• Advertisement

gizmo wrote: »
    You didn't read down to the end of that article did you? :o

heh!Not the most unrealistic thing to make an aprils fools about though!

Holy ****!

Lots of new duke content in the last 24 hours:

New Scans,
    New Grabbag theme,
    New Podcast/ Look inside Duke Burger,

New TRAILER!

and most importantly...

NEW TITS!

Y'all know where to find it:

http://www.duke4.net/news.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

+1,

**** it i think ill have a game of oul blood right now actually, i think theres a windows port for it.
    Added a good few tricks to the engine, such as the ability to make arched hallways, and the weapons were really unique and cool.

The ability to use an aerosol can and a lighter as a flame thrower = win!

I dont think Randy was involved with blood though, it got me googling and found this page:

http://blood.wiki-site.com/index.php/Credits

Would be cool to see one of the designers on there to do the commentary,
    we need more game commentaries imo!

Nope, no Blood windows port. We never got the source code. (well, I got some of it..)

It didn't add arched hallways :) But it did do a lot of other cool stuff to the Build engine.

I *could* ask if they'd do a developers commentary but I doubt they'd be too interested at this stage.

Anyone interested in playing Duke3D multiplayer or even Blood multiplayer while we wait for DNF to be released?

I have a room open right now.

What you need to do is download YANG (Yet Another Netplay Guider)

http://yang-online.com/downloads.htm

Also download the latest Eduke32 build:

http://www.eduke32.com/

and extract it to your Duke3D directory.

Theres a guide to port forwarding YANG here:
    http://yang-online.com/

You'll need to open Port 8501, and 23515.

Would be good fun to get a few boardies battling it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Is the video to push us? I'd like to give it a go but I'm too busy this week.
    Do you need to sort out the ports if you're not serving? I haven't used eduke, but I remember dukesterX and jonof didn't need it unless you were the host.

Monotype wrote: »
    Is the video to push us? I'd like to give it a go but I'm too busy this week.
    Do you need to sort out the ports if you're not serving? I haven't used eduke, but I remember dukesterX and jonof didn't need it unless you were the host.

Im pretty sure duksterx needed them open also, even if you were just a client. I couldnt get it working until i opened them.
    Having a few teething problems at the moment with other players anyways, trying to see which port works best with Yang.

Ended up playing it using the xDuke port with about 6 others.

Most epic fun i've had since ace of spades.

Something i missed back in October,
    George Broussard interview on Duke Nukem Forever, and the Gearbox takeover.

Possibly the only public talk he has had on the subject since.

I've been on a damn DNF binge tonight looking at the history of media released for the game:

http://www.3drealms.com/news/duke_nukem/duke_nukem_forever/

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/features/47003/Duke-Nukem-Forever-Through-The-Years/p1/c2/

The PC System Requirements are in:

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=120746

"
    Minimum Specifications
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.0 Ghz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 @ 2.0 Ghz
    Memory: 1 Gb
    Hard Drive: 10 Gb free
    Video Memory: 256 MB
    Video Card: nVidia GeForce 7600 / ATI Radeon HD 2600
    Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

Recommended Specifications
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 Ghz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 @ 2.6 Ghz
    Memory: 2 Gb
    Hard Drive: 10 Gb free
    Video Memory: 512 MB
    Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS / ATI Radeon HD 3850
    Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

OTHER REQUIREMENTS & SUPPORTS
    Initial installation requires one-time internet connection for Steam authentication; software installations required (included with the game) include Steam Client, Microsoft DirectX, Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (ATL), Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable, and AMD Dual Core Optimizer. (AMD optimizer required only for specific AMD processors to run the game correctly, but installs for all of them.)

Software license terms available at www.take2games.com/eula. Non-transferable access to special features such as exclusive, unlockable, downloadable or online content, services, or functions may require single-use serial code, additional fee and/or online account registration (13+). Access to special features may require internet connection, may not be available to all users, and may, upon 30 days notice, be terminated, modified or offered under different terms. Online play and download requires broadband internet service. User responsible for associated fees. "

• Advertisement

The Recommended Specs are fairly modest to say the least.

Looks like I may not have to splash out as much as i thought on this game. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

The Recommended Specs are fairly modest to say the least.
    Yeah. Looks like I won't need that DX 11 card just yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Wow, surprised to see the 8800gts under the recommended specs... It was a damn fine card back in the day, but struggled to max out stuff like Far Cry 2 at 1080p

The game is either incredibly well optimised, or they're being incredibly optimistic...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

tman wrote: »
    Wow, surprised to see the 8800gts under the recommended specs... It was a damn fine card back in the day, but struggled to max out stuff like Far Cry 2 at 1080p

The game is either incredibly well optimised, or they're being incredibly optimistic...

It's a variant of the Unreal engine 2.5, so not much fancy DX10/11 stuff in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Not surprised at the specs, this was never going to be a machine melter. They've had plenty of time to optimise their engine (won't be one-bit surprised if it still has bugs)

At least I can run this full-whack :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

tman wrote: »
    or its not GFX intensive...

People expecting pristine 1080p graphics will be very disappointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

I guess the game has been in development since the 90's:rolleyes: or whenever but they're only releasing it now so if the graphics aren't up to scratch then there are gonna be alot of people disappointed. Given that it's taken so long to be released any flaw will be jumped on and if it's something huge like the graphics looking 5 years old it'll get slated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Couldn't care less about the graphics anyways, to be honest. I want a good, fun game that won't wind up being boring and repetitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

rickyjb wrote: »
    I guess the game has been in development since the 90's:rolleyes: or whenever but they're only releasing it now so if the graphics aren't up to scratch then there are gonna be alot of people disappointed. Given that it's taken so long to be released any flaw will be jumped on and if it's something huge like the graphics looking 5 years old it'll get slated.

The game hasn't been in "development" since the 90's.. its just been dropped and picked up a few times, the game in its current form has only been in development for the standard time a game takes

The graphics will be the same as they are in the youtube trailers, nothing special, but decentish, its not crysis 3, they are selling the game based on the character not the graphics

It will sell well because its a nerd meme, if there was a chuck norris game it would sell well regardless.. people only watched "snakes on a plane" bc of all that, its a ****e film that no one saw a second time

Advertisement