Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duke Nukem Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

Sarky wrote: »
    It was buying Borderlands on Steam that got me the access.

Cheers. That was the only way possible for a while, until some crowd in Australia called EB games started giving it away with pre-orders.

I *think* the Balls of Steel version gives you first access also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

waveform wrote: »
    Cheers. That was the only way possible for a while, until some crowd in Australia called EB games started giving it away with pre-orders.

I *think* the Balls of Steel version gives you first access also.

Any preorder gets first access. You also get the multiplayer addon for free. I grabbed the PC version from Zavvi duringbthe week and got another access code today.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,381 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

strange I preordered the balls of steel from hmv but got no code :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Being limited to carrying two weapons at a time is starting to really bug me. This is not Halo. Duke is surely man enough to carry a full arsenal.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It's a bit meh gameplaywise. Plenty of humour, which we've already seen loads of times in videos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

There's a real difference in quality between the outdoor and indoor sections. The second part of the demo felt like a fan made mod.

Got a code from gamestop and it doesn't work:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Sarky wrote: »
    Being limited to carrying two weapons at a time is starting to really bug me. This is not Halo. Duke is surely man enough to carry a full arsenal.

I was thinking this myself. Then I thought 'fcuk it', carry one regular gun (shotgun, ripper, or something to that effect) and one big gun at all times.

Got a code from gamestop and it doesn't work:mad:

Did you stick it straight into Steam? You're meant to signup on dukenukemforever.com to get your steam code

I wasn't asked for my e-mail address when I pre-ordered in store.
    It turned out to be 10 euro more expensive than the price on their site also.

They said if the price is cheaper on the release day that i'll be refunded the difference.

I knew I'd have been better off ordering online, but I didn't want to take the risk in waiting a few days for it to get to my door.

Imagine having to wait all next weekend without the game in your hands!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

waveform wrote: »
    I wasn't asked for my e-mail address when I pre-ordered in store.
    It turned out to be 10 euro more expensive than the price on their site also.

They said if the price is cheaper on the release day that i'll be refunded the difference.

I knew I'd have been better off ordering online, but I didn't want to take the risk in waiting a few days for it to get to my door.

Imagine having to wait all next weekend without the game in your hands!

Itd be almost as bad as waiting over a decade :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Had a quick run at the demo, its just borderlands with humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Had a quick run at the demo, its just borderlands with humour.

Is this a good or bad thing?

Good. I didn't post more earlier as I hadn't made my mind up about it.

It plays very well, although I did get some graphical glitches, but this is a demo I'd expect a bug or two. Indoor graphics are very good, outdoor not so great, not near as polished as Borderlands. The FOV drove me mad, its narrow, setup for consoles far back from a big screen, it didn't feel nice on PC, but it just needs tweaking like Borderlands did. Controls are good and responsive. Weapons feel great, they've not deviated form Borderlands scopes. It played identical to Borderlands in every way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 merc.ie

Tried the demo and found it an average FPS in all respects, the script may imporove things somewhat, but it won't be enough to save it imo. Certainly not as good as Borderlands.

MEH edit: Didnt spot his reply!

Got my code problem sorted, and had a bash a while ago. I'm happy with it, it's a proper Duke Nukem game without doubt:D If you are expecting the best looking graphics you will be disappointed, but I found it fun to play.

Got my code problem sorted, and had a bash a while ago. I'm happy with it, it's a proper Duke Nukem game without doubt:D If you are expecting the best looking graphics you will be disappointed, but I found it fun to play.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, solid gamplay, good feel to the guns and it satisifed my nostalgia with humour, apparently theres loads of easter eggs to be found in the demo also.
    I like the bit about the crowbar
    hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

so what did everybody else draw on the whiteboard?

Grim. wrote: »

A cock.

Anyone who says differently is a liar :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Grim. wrote: »

Boobs tend to come out a bit square on the whiteboard :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I must try it with my graphics tablet and see how good a cock I can draw.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,624 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Is the demo only available to those who pre-purchased, bought with Borderlands? Or can ordinary joes like myself download it yet?

pixelburp wrote: »
    Is the demo only available to those who pre-purchased, bought with Borderlands? Or can ordinary joes like myself download it yet?

I pre ordered it on gamestops website. They emailed a code to me the next day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,624 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I pre ordered it on gamestops website. They emailed a code to me the next day.
    Meh, I don't pre-order anymore; it seems foolish to buy a game before you even know if it's going to be good or not. Thought maybe it was available to the general public...

I think the demo is free to mere mortals once the game ships

Meh, I don't pre-order anymore; it seems foolish to buy a game before you even know if it's going to be good or not. Thought maybe it was available to the general public...

Yep, it defeats the purpose of a demo if its limited to pre-order customers only. Its out there if you look <cough>, I didn't pre-order

I usually don't either but it's Duke Nukem :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

From what I have read and seen this doesn't look good :(

First of all, the Halo-like weapon system, meaning you can only carry 2 weapons at the same time.
    While this may work for consoles, I don't see it as a valid replacement for the traditional Duke games, where you pick up every weapon you find and use them to your heart's desire (Where now you have to just pick the best long and short range weapon and use that through the whole game).

Also, it seems to suffer from severe framedrops.

Luckily Gearbox already hinted towards mods by the community (Read it on neogaf), so there's that I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Yep, it defeats the purpose of a demo if its limited to pre-order customers only. Its out there if you look <cough>, I didn't pre-order

thank you!

Reminded me why I have a PC... with a usenet account hehe

Advertisement